Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2007, 07:49 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Well, I am a noob, so I don't have alot to compare with, but I think the coffee filter mad the light look more natural. Are you talking about the round white film canisters?

02-11-2007, 07:58 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"film cannister"? What's that? (just kidding) but I wouldn't be surprised to see that question in about 5 years or so.
BTW Matt, thanks for the info, don't use the popup for much except as a 'fill flash' but it's always good to know a few "tricks"

NaCl(civil engineers call them "the quick and dirty way" )H2O
02-11-2007, 10:57 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
I did some unscientific experimenting with a coffee filter as a flash diffuser vs a fuji film canister. I found the film canister works better if you are farther from your subject, and the coffee filter performs better if you are closer to your subject. I didn't measure the distance, but I would say around 10 feet and closer the filter did the better job, while beyond 10 feet the film canister did better.
Isn't the flash only supposed to go to about (from memeory) 3m anyway?

Damn our in-house coffee guru, doesn't use filters for the coffee!
02-11-2007, 11:34 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote

Don't worry. You can get about 500 filters for a whopping $1.50 in some stores.. what a inexpensive accessory.

02-12-2007, 12:04 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Ah, okay, didn't know that! But that's probably about $2 here! I'm doomed!
02-12-2007, 04:16 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote

Well, I didn't measure, so maybe the effective range is closer to 5 or 6 feet than it is to 10 feet. Not only did I not measure, I'm not good at estimating distances either.

The manual says the flash range is .7 meters to 4 meters (around 2 feet to 13 feet).

So until I can be a little more scientific and do some measuring, I'll amend my statement to say that the film canister outperforms the coffee filter between 13 and 8 feet from the subject, while the coffee filter outperforms the film canister from a distance of 2 to 7 feet from the subject.

As with everything else in life, YMMV.
02-12-2007, 04:24 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xecutech Quote
Well, I am a noob, so I don't have alot to compare with, but I think the coffee filter mad the light look more natural. Are you talking about the round white film canisters?
I agree, the coffee filter makes the light look more natural. So does the film canister, but I found that at longer distances, the coffee filter underexposed, and at closer distances, the fim canister overexposed. Carry one of each in your camera bag, and you're prepared for either situation.

As to the film canister, I'm talking specifically about the canisters that Fuji 35mm film comes in. The canisters are a translucent white. All you have to do is (carefully) cut a rectangle out of the canister with a boxcutter so the canister can be placed over the flash.

I've never done this, but you can also use a ping pong ball. I've also heard of people using facial tissue as a diffuser.

02-12-2007, 04:27 AM   #23
Veteran Member

regken, I seem to have hijacked your thread. You posted a great tip about using a coffee filter to set manual white balance, and now we're talking mostly about ways to diffuse flash.

I apologize for that.
02-12-2007, 05:02 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Matt,
No need for apology. This is great that one idea led to another. I think it fits the character of Pentax owners. Cheap old lenses instead of overpriced new, coffee filters instead of over priced accessories.
The more ideas the better.

Regards,
02-12-2007, 04:33 PM   #25
Veteran Member

[dumb question]

do you completely cover the lens with the coffee filter?
wouldn't this block to much light?
[/ of dumb question]

thanks

randy
02-12-2007, 05:18 PM   #26

Yes, you cover the lens and take a shot, go back to the setting and click ok, then your ready to shoot. It works great.
02-12-2007, 05:36 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xecutech Quote
Yes, you cover the lens and take a shot, go back to the setting and click ok, then your ready to shoot. It works great.
thanks very much

randy
02-12-2007, 07:03 PM   #28
Xgear

This may be more stupid coffee filter talk but I use the cone shape not round. This matter?
02-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #29

Well, I have only tried round, but would assume either would work.
02-12-2007, 09:39 PM   #30
Forum Member

I am still trying to set WB manually... but I am a bit confused, when we shoot a piece of white paper, filter... whatever it is, do we place the paper on the table or hold it with our hand right in front of the lens? Does it fill up the whole image or just show a piece of it and focus on the part?

Thx...