Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2007, 09:47 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
Hold it over the lens. Do not let any light other than what comes through the paper enter the lens.

02-14-2007, 05:09 AM   #32
Aneopa

Hi, could anyone post a photo of a coffe filter? I live in Brazil and dont know if theres a difference in the white between here and there.

Thx
02-14-2007, 04:24 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good idea, then you could just print it out and save buying one !!!
02-14-2007, 06:25 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Good idea, then you could just print it out and save buying one !!!
That was funny! I was going to tell him to do a google image search for one, as I was too lazy to pose a filter and take it's picture.
Then again, maybe it would be funny explaining to my wife I need to take some pictures of our coffee filters. She keeps wondering why I am on here all the time....

02-14-2007, 07:00 PM   #35
Aneopa

QuoteOriginally posted by xecutech Quote
That was funny! I was going to tell him to do a google image search for one, as I was too lazy to pose a filter and take it's picture.
Then again, maybe it would be funny explaining to my wife I need to take some pictures of our coffee filters. She keeps wondering why I am on here all the time....
I´m sorry... I didin't think before post that Thanks for the laughs
02-17-2007, 02:45 PM   #36

No, just to be used as WB manul adj. target

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
[dumb question]

do you completely cover the lens with the coffee filter?
wouldn't this block to much light?
[/ of dumb question]

thanks

randy
The original post talked about using a white coffee filter as a target for WB manual setting. Not as a lense filter or a flash diffuser. Silly as a lense filter and not a very good flash diffuser compared to many other cheap options.
02-17-2007, 09:21 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by Photomy Quote
The original post talked about using a white coffee filter as a target for WB manual setting. Not as a lense filter or a flash diffuser. Silly as a lense filter and not a very good flash diffuser compared to many other cheap options.
Well, it works for me, maybe you should experiment with it before knocking it?!

02-17-2007, 10:52 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finished fiddling with coffee filters?

So, if everyone is done with the coffee filter Wb trick, want some real fun?

By now everyone should have realized that WB really depends on shooting something neutral gray under the light of the desired subject. The test card can be any neutral gray (rgb=0,0,0 to about rgb(about)=140,140,140; a 20-30% neutral gray). It doesn't work on dark grays all that well.

Camera needs to be capably of making a proper exposure of the test card and it should be on manual focus.

So is it useless if the target isn't neutral gray?

Actually, no. If you have Photoshop, a calibrated and profiled monitor, a profiled printer and some matte paper you can use one or more of these setting to make something called a 'warm card:

Half Warm: R 227 G 236 B 245
C: 13% M: 4% Y: 3% K: 0%

Warm 1: R 201 G 221 B 236
C: 25% M: 6% Y: 5% K: 0%

Warm 2: R 181 G 196 B 218
C: 34% M: 16% Y: 6% K: 1%

What's a warm card? Well, try the above numbers and see. Make the cards at least 4 by 6 inches--large enough to cover the smaller WB square in the K10d or larger, like 8 by 10inches for other digital cameras.

Or Not: they impart a warm tint to every shot with these custom WBs.

It's a professional videographers(sp?) technique. You can google 'warm card' for a professional set of cards or 'DIY warm cards' to find the same or similar DIY numbers.
02-19-2007, 09:26 AM   #39

Does the camera need to focus in order to get proper WB? And, will it focus with the filter that close.
02-19-2007, 09:33 AM   #40
Veteran Member

The camera doesn't need to focus. Switch to MF to avoid aggravation during this process.
03-21-2007, 01:15 PM   #41

Sorry to resurrect an old thread...

I apologize for bringing this thread back from the dead. I have not yet had the chance to try the coffee filter trick, due to nothing but unbleached coffee filters at home and work . The only downside I can see to the method is that the filter will become very distessed in a short time, especially while travelling with an overstuffed camera bag.

While looking at Asad's for sale thread today I had an idea. Has anyone tried using the white body cap that shipped with the camera as a WB card? I used the body cap, held backwards over the front of the lens, for a couple of test shots, and it seemed to produce good results. The only downside I can see is that it may be too small for lenses with a front element larger than about 58mm. I was happy enough with the results that the body cap is now in my camera bag.

Chris
03-21-2007, 01:43 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oppositz Quote
I use natural coffee filters. Un-dyed and thus light brown!
Try using a plain white paper towel. Or even a plain white cotton handkerchief. Both have worked fine for me.

And yes, it is useful to switch the camera to manual focus when you set the custom white balance.

Will