01-13-2016, 11:06 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Manual focus - Focusing screen

Where do i get a manual focus, focusing screen for a K5IIs? Thank You

01-13-2016, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sad to say but there aren't any 'manual focus' screens such as a split image screen like the old film cameras used to have. There are some who modify the Canon or Nikon screens to fit a Pentax. I tried one a while back and it did not fit. Be aware that the frame that holds the screen is pretty flimsy and easily bent out of shape in my experience.
01-13-2016, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since KatzEye is going out of business and is not accepting any new orders, focusingscreen.com and eBay are about the only remaining sources. See also these threads:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/308587-split-prism-f...g-screens.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/311068-just-inst...-my-k-3-a.html

Last edited by THoog; 01-19-2016 at 06:26 PM.
01-13-2016, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #5
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try here

QuoteOriginally posted by Storm Chaser Quote
Where do i get a manual focus, focusing screen for a K5IIs? Thank You
I purchased and installed an S type screen from here: Focusing Screen

Yes the frame is flimsy but you get a tool and you can download there instructions. You don't need to force anything, so be careful and be mindful of keepind down the dust and you'll find it is extremely easy to do. Once it's installed, test for front / back focussing and replace the standard shims with the supplied ones if needed. Again, easy to do, just be mindful of dust and not damaging components.

Best of luck with your choice and if you search the fourms for other threads on this topic you will find a lot of information and feedback on this topic that will help get it right.

Hooroo,

Tas
01-13-2016, 01:40 PM   #6

deleted. I don't think this is relevant, and is more of a MF vs AF focusing thing.

Last edited by disord3r; 01-13-2016 at 01:54 PM.
01-15-2016, 12:07 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you for the information and sites, will give all a look and then make a decision. Have a film camera with a couple of screens and really helps with manual focus, not sure why they do not offer
more options?
Thanks again

Brian

01-15-2016, 12:23 PM   #8
Forum Member

Yeah, I love the split prism aid. I guess I have a project ahead of me after my warranty expires.
01-15-2016, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Storm Chaser Quote
not sure why they do not offer
more options?
Primarily metering. You are probably familiar with the "blackout" on split prism screens, when the light is too low and one half of the split area just goes black. Because the metering module is behind the screen, that can throw metering off - mostly only if you are doing spot metering, but in some other cases as well.

Given the technical problems, AND Pentax is in business to sell AF lenses, AND there wasn't enough demand even across multiple brands to keep KatzEye going, it's just not worth it to Pentax to make and stock MF screens - not at a price most Pentax shooters would be willing to pay.
01-15-2016, 01:23 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Primarily metering. You are probably familiar with the "blackout" on split prism screens, when the light is too low and one half of the split area just goes black. Because the metering module is behind the screen, that can throw metering off - mostly only if you are doing spot metering, but in some other cases as well.

Given the technical problems, AND Pentax is in business to sell AF lenses, AND there wasn't enough demand even across multiple brands to keep KatzEye going, it's just not worth it to Pentax to make and stock MF screens - not at a price most Pentax shooters would be willing to pay.
Good point and makes sense
01-16-2016, 10:03 AM   #11
Forum Member

Thanks for that very logical answer! I guess I just saved myself $75 and disappointment!
01-16-2016, 10:51 AM   #12
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulvzo Quote
Thanks for that very logical answer! I guess I just saved myself $75 and disappointment!
the good news is that you have the alternative of using liveview for mf, which is more accurate.
01-19-2016, 06:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Since KatzEye has gone out of business

I'm not sure about that, they still have their 'Last run' on their main page where they're trying to sell all stock they have before they make the last ones.
I've been in contact and as far as I know they've started setting their machines up again a couple of weeks ago.

I may just ask (again ) when I can expect mine.
01-19-2016, 06:25 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
I'm not sure about that, they still have their 'Last run' on their main page where they're trying to sell all stock they have before they make the last ones.
I've been in contact and as far as I know they've started setting their machines up again a couple of weeks ago.
For the purposes of the OP or anyone who didn't get in on the "last batch" before November 19, 2015, KatzEye is gone. Their main page makes it pretty clear they aren't accepting any new orders. I hope you get yours soon!
01-19-2016, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Replacement focus screens has never been a high demand accessory item for any camera manufacturer. Replacement screens were usually only available for the high end, flagship models in the film era. Pentax makes and sells focus screens (for my K-5 and the K10D, 4 and 3 respectively), albeit for AF use. It wouldn't take much for them to go through their film era split prism focus screens and find the most accurate and the brightest of the lot and make it available for the DSLR market with a caveat emptor, warning about the possible inconsistencies in metering with the split prism screen.

Pentax knows that their user base is heavily invested into legacy lenses - as evidenced by the soon to be released FF Pentax DSLR with only 2 new FF lenses - it would bode well for Pentax to release oem split-prism focus screens at prices comparable to the replacement AF screens. The focus screens whether AF or MF will never make Pentax rich but releasing split-prism focus screens will show that Pentax knows and are willing to cater to their MF lens user base.

I don't know how to make polls but if someone savvy enough to do so would make a poll about whether PF members would buy (or not) an oem split-prism screen for their Pentax DSLR, even knowing about the exposure shortcomings, at prices comparable to the existing AF focus screens, I am sure there would be a very favourable response. I know I would!