Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2016, 04:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Lost Pentax gear in Hong Kong 1/1

So, the new year didn't start out so well.

I misplaced my camera bag containing a crystal blue K-30, DA 18-135, DA 18-250, and DA 50 .
As well as a UHS-II 128 GB card, 16 eneloops, an AA battery adapter, one week's worth of photos, and several cleaning accessories.
The bag was a Tamrac . There was no address or name tag anywhere in the bag. I don't believe I will ever see the gear again.

I lost all my HK photos and was without a DSLR in Siem Reap where no one sells Pentax. My next destination was Ho Chi Minh where I did find some Pentax, but mainly older models, except for a KS-2, until I realized that camera does not take AA batteries, which makes it a non-starter for me.

I'm finally back home, and looking for a replacement camera.

Am I correct that Pentax hasn't made a DSLR body that takes AA batteries since the K-50 ? If so, it looks like the replacement is going to be either another K-30 or a K-50 . It seems that a brand new K-50 body is almost the same price as a used K-30, except I won't get my choice of color.

I know the Pentax full frame model is supposed to be just around the corner, but it may not be in my budget. Will it take AA batteries in body (even with an adapter) or will that require a grip like the K-5 and K-3 ?

01-13-2016, 04:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

AA batteries seem to be relegated to "point and shoot" cameras only these days. For example, the new Nikon Coolpix B500 uses 4x AA batteries. But of course, that is a tiny sensor. More "logical" would be to standardize on 18650 3.7v batteries as they have a lot of power and are comparatively cheap. Problem is: they are much bigger than AA's!!!

M
01-13-2016, 05:41 PM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

So sorry for your unfortunate loss of your equipment. That would break my heart, hoping you can get some replacement gear soon.
01-13-2016, 05:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Only way to use AA in the upper cameras is in a battery grip.

01-14-2016, 10:06 AM   #5

That is a serious downer. Sorry to hear about your loss.

I doubt that any new Pentax camera will accept AA batteries (except perhaps in a battery grip).

For better or worse, the days of AAs is well and truly over in modern camera technology.

For the upper-end Pentax cameras like the K-5 it doesn't matter so much as the battery life is really good but its dismal on the K-50 so great to have AAs as a back up.
01-14-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I'm still trying to figure out the full content of the lost bag.

I had 2 full filter bags as well in various sizes, sigh.

As far as camera body replacement, it seems I could get a used blue K-30 body in the same color for about $250 on ebay. Or brand new K-50 in another color for about $300.

The K3 or K3 II with a grip may be a viable option, but those are a lot pricier of course. And will be bulkier when using AAs due to grip.

The pixel shift resolution looks like a very interesting feature on the K3 II. IMO, it's a shame the built-in flash was removed. I don't often use it, but it's still occasionally useful indoors. Especially for taking pics of gears for sale A standalone flash increases cost and bulk of the camera. And many flashes aren't weatherproof. But I probably won't travel with the flash anyway.

K-3 + grip is < $700 from Ebay & Amazon.
K-3 II + grip + AF200 flash is about $925 from B&H & Amazon (B&H price is too high on the grip).

I was very happy with the K-30 though, and if I hadn't lost it, probably wouldn't be looking at an upgrade anytime soon - I was thinking maybe 1 year after the FF release when the price goes down. If get a K-3 or K-3 II now, then I probably won't go FF until much later, if ever.
01-14-2016, 01:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

That really sucks!

You can either take the slightly more expensive K-3/K-3II plunge right now or get a dirt cheap K-50 for now & wait to see what's up with the full frame if you're serious about going that route. If not, you can't wrong with the K-3/K-3II.
01-15-2016, 01:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I decided to be frugal and not upgrade. I found a K-30 in blue with a shutter count of 17 on ebay in mint condition - ie. an identical camera with a much lower shutter count. My best offer of $199 was accepted.

The K-3 and K-3 II were nicer, but much more expensive, and the extra bulk of having to carry the grip for the AA batteries was a big turn-off, as well as the bulk of a separate flash on the K3 II .

I really hope Pentax will make another body that takes AAs without a grip in the future. Even if the body needs 6 AAs, that would still be better to me than a proprietary LiOn battery. I really don't want to use any such batteries. I loved my K200D which could take 4 AAs in body without the use of an adapter, and 4 more in the optional grip. Wish the K-30 was more like the K200D in this fashion.

Now, on to replacing the rest of the content of the lost camera bag. The lenses will surely cost much more to replace than the body.

01-15-2016, 03:22 PM   #9
Pentaxian

^ Good choice! Indeed! Lenses are pricey!
01-15-2016, 04:34 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you check to see if the loss was, perhaps, covered by insurance?
01-15-2016, 09:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Did you check to see if the loss was, perhaps, covered by insurance?
Yes, sadly, there is no chance that any coverage would apply. We didn't buy travel insurance for this trip.
We had 2 hours of sleep only due to an early flight on the morning of the first. Somehow, the black camera bag got left on the street in the dark of the night, rather than loaded into the taxi. Which of course accepts cash only, no cards.
Really stupid mistake. I wasn't traveling alone and thought my husband took care of it. We didn't notice until one hour later when we get to the airport when unloading from the cab and seeing we were one bag short. But by then, the camera bag was gone (hotel staff checked).
01-16-2016, 07:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In case anyone ever finds my camera :

The lost Pentax K-30 DSLR was serial 4358738
Lost Pentax DA 50 lens was serial 4324317
Lost Pentax DA 18-250 lens serial unknown (bought new, but I couldn't find serial card)
Lost Pentax DA 18-135 lens serial unknown (bought used
Lost SDXC card was Lexar 128GB UHS-II memory card including many photos of HK, some from the Peak that I would really like to get, all DNG format. A few pics of me are on it too, to confirm ownership.
01-25-2016, 06:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was able to replace the body and all 3 lenses for a total of $659 - less than I expected. Pretty crazy considering I paid $899 3.5 years ago for K-30 kit with 18-55 da-l (non WR) lens !

k-30 body $199 . It was used but in like new condition
da 18-250 - replaced with a nearly identical Tamron 18-250 $190 (used, looks good)
da 18-135 - $180 used (still waiting for it)
da 50 - $89 new (still waiting for it)

I am not going to replace the lost 128GB UHS-II card as I still have other SD cards.
I got 3 AA adapters from ebay already for $10.
I bought 16 AA "high capacity" Amazon-branded batteries that are supposed to be Eneloop XX clones for $40. I tested them to be 2250 - 2300 mAh - less than the 2500 advertised, but more than the 1900-2000 of my old regular Eneloops.

The one thing that seems hard to replace is actually the bag itself. It was a Tamrac shoulder bag big enough for body + 2 large lenses, also with MAS attachment for a 3rd lens.
I still have MAS lens bag but nothing to attach it to. It seems Tamrac discontinued the MAS system on their current bags.
I have been browsing for a while and can't find anything that would actually fit the MAS and be large enough.

Last edited by madbrain; 01-25-2016 at 07:00 PM.