Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2016, 05:01 AM   #1

Pentax K10D Focusing Problems caused be firmware upgrade to 1.31

Hi All,

I recently picked up a Pentax K10D with a very low shutter count < 1000. It had the original 1.0 firmware and everything seemed to work fine.

It came with 18-55 and 55-200 DA lenses and everything seemed great until I updated the firmware to 1.31.

The camera focus goes back and forth several times before it settles on a focus spot, or in some cases not.

I found the articles about how to down grade the firmware to 1.10, but I am still having problems.

Any recommendations on how to proceed? Debug mode? Other suggestions?

Is it possible that the firmware upgrade wiped out some focus adjustments that the previous owner had set?

Thanks,

Chris

01-14-2016, 10:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nope, never heard of such thing happening before. My K10D has had the latest firmware (v. 1.31) for a long time and it focuses fine most of the time (mine has been converted to IR and AF is somewhat quirky at times - I almost never shoot with AF lens with this camera anyway). The K10D doesn't have a user adjustable focus setting and no Liveview. I am afraid you are going to have to search elsewhere for your AF problems.
01-14-2016, 10:58 PM   #3

I have/had the same problem. I believe that the firmware causes you to use the DA type lens. If you were to use a Pentax lens there shouldn't be any problem, but some older K lenses from other brands do not seem to work as well as they use to. Some outside brands from use on a film K mount will be difficult on a DSLR, except Pentax lens. That's my findings.
01-15-2016, 01:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The OP is having problems with the kit lenses DA 18-55 and 55-200. The only AF I've used with my K10D IR was Tamron 17-50/2.8, and I've tried just now with a Sigma 18-125 and no problem there either. I'll see if my few film era AF lenses can duplicate your findings sometime during the day.

01-15-2016, 12:30 PM   #5

If there was a way to 'flash' the firmware, I would go backwards and use a prior firmware, or original. I've spoken to Pentax and this couldn't be done supposedly, but if there is some geek that could do it, it would be welcome.
01-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #6
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by merzcm Quote
It came with 18-55 and 55-200 DA lenses and everything seemed great until I updated the firmware to 1.31.

The camera focus goes back and forth several times before it settles on a focus spot, or in some cases not.
debug mode with an older firmware will let you trim the af points(microadjust), but i don't think that will address the back and forth af behavior.

i don't know how the 1.31 firmware works, i updated to a hacked version of the firmware on my k10d, but the camera never really had accurate af performance with either version.

QuoteOriginally posted by merzcm Quote
I found the articles about how to down grade the firmware to 1.10, but I am still having problems.
so did you actually do the downgrade?
01-16-2016, 06:59 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
debug mode with an older firmware will let you trim the af points(microadjust), but i don't think that will address the back and forth af behavior.

i don't know how the 1.31 firmware works, i updated to a hacked version of the firmware on my k10d, but the camera never really had accurate af performance with either version.

so did you actually do the downgrade?
Yes I was able to downgrade the firmware to 1.10, but it didn't solve the back and forth AF issue.

Maybe the camera had the issue before the firmware flash and I just didn't use it enough to notice. I only took about 10 pictures before I flashed the firmware.

Right now it is on the 1.20 firmware version and I am going to try the backfocus adjustment in the following article:

Photography Rulez: K10D Focus Error Adjustment