Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2008, 09:40 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
New Member: Thanks...

Thanks for the informative forums and thanks for feeding my latest "addiction".

I casually used a P30 years ago, until film became both expensive and a pain-in-the-rear. Along the way, I saw the early DSLR's and was impressed by both the capabilities and the price. When I saw the Pentax DSLR's for well under $500.00, I caught the bug. Eventually, I found a K100D on Ebay for the right price. Now, I'm hooked.

What intrigues me is the backward-compatibility of the Pentax lenses: They are plentiful. They are quality. They are collectible. They are retro, cool, and hip. I see them as vintage, collectible art that you can use and enjoy. 40 year-old pieces that will blow your socks off even today. Modern technology paired with the workmanship of the past.

My other "addiction" is vintage Japanese stereo equipment. The heavy, silver Pioneer, Yamaha, etc. from back in the day. The allure is similar. I have become the scourge of the local thrift stores and classified ads, finding much valuable stuff. Now, I look for cameras, too. However, in many ways, this camera thing is more productive and rewarding. Did I mention I am hooked?

I like the old stuff, -A or -M. It seems I can work with both. Here is what I have found so far. The best deals have been entire kits found at thrift stores. There may be a real gem contained within. I am learning. I'll keep what I want and eventually sell off the excess. Surplus stereo equipment has paid the way so far.

Unfortunately, I am compiling camera bodies that I have no use for. That seems a shame. Maybe I donate them to the cause.

K100D

(2) Takumar-A 70-200
SMC Pentax-A 1.7 50
SMC Pentax-A 2.0 50
SMC Pentax-A 3.5 35-105
SMC Pentax-M 1.4 50
SMC Pentax-M 1.7 50
SMC Pentax-M 2.0 50
SMC Pentax-M 3.5 135
SMC Pentax-M 80-200

I keep lookin'...

Is that Takumar-A 70-200 a sleeper? It works really well for me. ???. They sure don't necessarily cost very much.

jocko

07-01-2008, 09:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=jocko_nc;281214

Is that Takumar-A 70-200 a sleeper? It works really well for me. ???. They sure don't necessarily cost very much.

jocko[/QUOTE]

Welcome aboard. Check this lens out.
Pentax Lens Review Database - 70-210mm F4
You should be able to find one for about $100 with a little shopping. I just sold mine because I'm moving in a new direction but loved the way it worked.

Ken
07-01-2008, 10:32 AM   #3

Original Poster
That's identical, except for the markings. I assume mine are the non-SMC version of the same lens? Did they have different price-point product lines? Are they non-coated? What was the difference?

I love the push-pull. Very fast. Very old-school.

I paid $37.00 for the first one. I found the second for $11.00. I'll buy more at that price.