Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-15-2016, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Just ordered my K3-2

Sold my K5 last week, and just now got around to ordering my k3-2. I usually always buy from B/H, but they were closed today, so I ordered it from Adorama! Never bought anything from them before. The price was the same $779.00! Is Adorama good. Keep thinking I should have waited till Sunday when B/H reopens, but didn't want to risk the price going up. Noticed last week at B/H the K3-2 was $729.00. Went up $50.00! Anyway hate being without my Pentax.

01-15-2016, 06:11 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Looking forward to seeing some photographs from your new "baby"
01-15-2016, 06:18 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Sold my K5 last week, and just now got around to ordering my k3-2. I usually always buy from B/H, but they were closed today, so I ordered it from Adorama! Never bought anything from them before. The price was the same $779.00! Is Adorama good. Keep thinking I should have waited till Sunday when B/H reopens, but didn't want to risk the price going up. Noticed last week at B/H the K3-2 was $729.00. Went up $50.00! Anyway hate being without my Pentax.
Congrats, Tony. The K3 & K3II are fantastic cameras. The K3 is my main camera, but I am just starting to occasionally use my K3II (which I bought a few months ago when a particularly tempting deal came along!!). I recently tried the pixel shift feature, and the detail it gets from still subjects is *phenomenal* - truly outstanding. The GPS, while not a feature I need or am likely to use right now, seems to work well, too. I don't mind not having the in-built flash, as I have no real need for direct flash without bounce - so it's no loss for me. I'm keen to try out the astrotracer capabilities if we get a reasonable summer here in the UK

I know you will *love* the K3II, and with good reason - it's a fantastic piece of kit. Enjoy!!!
01-15-2016, 06:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've bought a lot from Adorama as well as B&H. I would recommend them both. They both have pretty much everything Pentax makes and sometimes one may have a better deal than the other. In other camera gear they may carry some different brands that the other may not. My last purchase from Adorama was a WiFi Range Extender, which they were very competitively priced with newegg.

01-15-2016, 06:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

At one point recently Adorama went back up to $896 while B& H was still $729. You should really like the k3 ll.
01-15-2016, 08:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K-3II. The resolution and detail are excellent in images I have shot with it. The AF does very well, it is probably the best I have ever had. I track birds in flight with it, and have gotten really nice results. The GPS seems to cause the battery power to be used at a quicker rate if I keep it on, but I only use it on certain occasions, and I have two extra Pentax batteries. It is really a great camera. If you need a spare battery, B and H and Adorama have specifically the Pentax brand (the only brand I get) for really good prices. I think you are going to be surprised at how nice the K-3II really is when you get it. Congratulations.
01-15-2016, 11:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I have a K-3II. The resolution and detail are excellent in images I have shot with it. The AF does very well, it is probably the best I have ever had. I track birds in flight with it, and have gotten really nice results. The GPS seems to cause the battery power to be used at a quicker rate if I keep it on, but I only use it on certain occasions, and I have two extra Pentax batteries. It is really a great camera. If you need a spare battery, B and H and Adorama have specifically the Pentax brand (the only brand I get) for really good prices. I think you are going to be surprised at how nice the K-3II really is when you get it. Congratulations.
Thanks! Did you notice any difference in the anti-shake? They claim it's a full stop better. Looking forward to the more consistent focus as well.

Last edited by Tony3d; 01-31-2016 at 11:43 AM.
01-16-2016, 12:03 AM   #8

Anti-shake seems to work better in panning, compared to k-5
01-16-2016, 06:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I recently tried the pixel shift feature, and the detail it gets from still subjects is *phenomenal* - truly outstanding.
I would certainly endorse that! For best results you need to use the supplied software, as I don't think Adobe or other processors can provide the full effect.
01-16-2016, 06:34 AM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I would certainly endorse that! For best results you need to use the supplied software, as I don't think Adobe or other processors can provide the full effect.
That's interesting. I seemed to get good results in Lightroom 6 (with all current updates), but I'll have to try the supplied software to see if it's better still.

EDIT: It would certainly seem that Adobe claim to be on top of it (though it doesn't mean their implementation is as good as Pentax's own): http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2015/07/camera-raw-9-1-1-is-now-available.html
01-16-2016, 07:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It would certainly seem that Adobe claim to be on top of it
I haven't tried it recently, so maybe Adobe has it sorted now. It just treated the file as a single RAW when I last tried it.
01-16-2016, 07:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Are you referring to that silky pic? I never downloaded that. Been using Aperature. Actually all the photos I posted were in camera Jpegs. If the Prime3 engine is even better, I'll be impressed!
01-16-2016, 08:05 AM   #13
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I made a purchase from Adorama at Christmas-time last year and it was a poor experience for me; the salesperson I spoke with was very misleading and I was charged for 'expedited' shipping, which took two weeks to arrive...

it was my first and last purchase with them....

I hope your experience is better...
01-16-2016, 08:10 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I have bought from both B&H and Adorama. You will not go wrong with either one. I shop both, even if they are equivalent sometimes one may have a better price on a particular item than the other. Enjoy your new K-3 II I have the original K-3 that I bought from Adorama last year and it is a great camera. This year I got an HD 55 -300 WR and it was B&H that had the better price, so if you have a particular item in mind, shop both.

---------- Post added 01-16-16 at 10:23 AM ----------

Really nice pictures. Actually I am surprised how well the 18-135 did.
01-16-2016, 11:48 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Thanks! Did you notice any difference in the anti-shake? They claim it's a full stop better. Looking forward to the more consistent focus as well.
The SR (Shake Reduction) works very well. I use it instead of the OS (Optical Stabilization) on my Sigma 150-500. I have had a K-5IIS prior to getting my K-3II and it is a really outstanding camera. Though the K-5IIS performs at a really excellent level, when I got the K-3II I noticed the AF is really improved and the SR is very effective. I noticed when I first started using it, like on Seagulls in flight or even Kingfishers, the AF would pick it up really nicely. I use Spot focus usually in Continuous AF mode, and sometimes use more focus points if I want to give myself larger of an AF coverage area. I have noticed that subjects that are far away seem to be locked in on by the AF in a more precise way also than on preceding K series models. Like I mentioned before, you will notice the AF improvement. I have been out on overcast days and the camera seems to utilize available light very well without causing unnecessary noise in the images. The detail and resolution capability of the camera is superior.

You really do have a lot to look forward to. You made a wise purchase.

Last edited by C_Jones; 01-16-2016 at 12:02 PM.