Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2016, 09:22 PM   #31
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by toptenmaterial Quote
Does the current entry Canon (T3i I think) fit that category as well?
Sorry I don't know about the Canon. But going on specs alone, the Pentax models are way ahead in value for money: e.g.
Canon 700D vs Pentax K-70 Detailed Comparison
Pentax K-3 vs Canon 760D Detailed Comparison
The Canons are lighter in weight and have touch screens (if you like that sort of thing) but there doesn't seem much other reason in the specs to choose them at about the same price point. The AF system and video might be better (I don't know) in the Canons, and there are lenses you could use that aren't available for Pentax, but overall the Pentax models offer a lot of advanced features for the money - no AA filter, IBIS and WR for a start.

I've got a K-30. I wouldn't say that it was obsolete - it's still a good camera - but if I had to replace it with a new camera I'd be looking for one that had the 20 or 24mp sensor with no AA filter (like my K-3), because it produces better images and more scope for cropping.

I'd find the flippy screen on the new models useful too, and pixel shift would be nice to have.

Personally I'd prefer a K-3 to a K-70 for about the same price, despite the absence of these features (or wi-fi or KAF4 compatibility) and extra weight. Quiet shutter, robust construction, bigger battery, more customisation, more buttons, top LCD, dual card slots, effective dust removal, etc etc. But it depends what features matter to you.

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I'd find it hard to go back to proprietary batteries when I can carry a big bag of eneloops for my flash, transceivers and camera.
This illustrates the point that before buying a camera it is important to work out what features matter to you. I got an AA adapter for my K-30 but I don't think I've ever used it - spare Dli109 batteries are fairly cheap and lighter than a set of AAs. Same for the K-3 - don't use a grip, just carry a spare DLi90. But I'm not shooting events and I'm not a heavy user of flash or other AA-powered gear. If I was, the all-AA-battery approach would make good sense.

Last edited by Des; 09-29-2016 at 11:58 PM.
10-04-2016, 08:27 AM   #32

Original Poster
Thanks so much everyone for these detailed, thoughtful replies. I've seen the K-50 18-55 and 70-200 (I think) kit on eBay for $500 which is on my par with what B&H had earlier in the year. This is without B&H awesome return policy of course. Is this still worth it?
10-04-2016, 12:22 PM   #33
Pentaxian

^ Nah. I wouldn't bother with it. They have gone for way cheaper than that. Last year around August or so, BuyDig was unloading olive & blue K-50 cameras with 2 lenses, flash, a memory card, & I think a bag for $399. That was the K-50 deal of the century. Unless it's about the same price, I wouldn't bother at that $500 price point. I've also seen the body go for as low as $200 brand new from other well known retailers. They're out of production now, so more than likely there won't be any good deals on remaining K-50 cameras.

If you can wait for "Black Friday" & on to the end of the year, there will be some nice sales and/or incentives that will make buying a camera worthwhile. A lot of manufacturers get aggressive on the pricing or give additional accessories like lenses, grips, bags, etc. for free or for a far reduced price with a camera purchase.

I'll probably try to score a K-3II myself. It's currently about $920, but I've seen it as cheap as $729. I'll see what the holidays bring.
10-04-2016, 03:46 PM   #34
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, what @TheSquirrelMafia said.

At the risk of clouding the issue, don't be seduced by a kit-lens bundle. The DA 18-135 is a much better lens, and much more versatile than the 18-55: it's a bargain in a bundle with a new body where the effective price of the lens is <$300. If you want more reach than 135mm, any version of the DA 55-300 is better than the 50-200 (except for the lack of WR on the DA-L and original DA models), and they are cheap second-hand.

The number one mistake DSLR newbies make is obsessing about the body and skimping on lenses. Lenses have as much if not more effect on the image outcome as the body. Doesn't mean you need to spend thousands on lenses - one of the beauties of Pentax is having 40 years' worth of K-mount lenses to choose from, including many excellent lenses at good prices. And even if you want to buy new there are good options that won't break the bank: e.g. DA 10-17 fisheye (often overlooked as a specialty lens, but can be used as a cheap conventional ultrawide if you de-fish in PP), Sigma 17-70 C, DA 18-135, either of the two current 55-300 models, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8, to mention a few.

Buying a DSLR to use only a kit lens is like driving a Ferrari in second gear.

Last edited by Des; 10-04-2016 at 05:04 PM.
10-05-2016, 08:32 PM   #35
Forum Member

I too am looking for a K-50 because of it's ability to use AA batteries - and I too am disappointed in the current prices. I really don't need the kit lens, but body-only prices seem to be higher than what I'm finding for the body plus the kit zoom. There is no way I am paying $475 or more for a K-50 body, and even $450 with the cheapest kit zoom seems high to me for this discontinued model, especially since I don't want the kit zoom.

Can anyone tell me how much the (included) charger weighs for the K-50 and also for the K-70 or K-S2? I plan to take an extended walking tour and I will need to carry any charging equipment on back the whole way. While the Pentax batteries are lighter than 4 AAs in an adaptor, I need to compare the total weights, including the chargers.
10-05-2016, 11:06 PM   #36
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by runswithsizzers Quote
Can anyone tell me how much the (included) charger weighs for the K-50
According to this, 7.2 ounces (about 200g): https://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-BC109-Battery-Charger-D-LI109/dp/B004M07WEG
One with a USB plug instead of AC might be a little bit lighter - useful if you are already carrying a USB-AC adapter to charge your phone or other device.

K-S2 and K-70 are each a few grams lighter than a K-50: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+K-50&c...c3=Pentax+K-70
But the difference is so slight that it would be hard to notice.

Last edited by Des; 10-05-2016 at 11:23 PM.
10-06-2016, 07:30 AM   #37
Pentaxian

I too am looking for a K-50 because of it's ability to use AA batteries - and I too am disappointed in the current prices. I really don't need the kit lens, but body-only prices seem to be higher than what I'm finding for the body plus the kit zoom. There is no way I am paying $475 or more for a K-50 body, and even $450 with the cheapest kit zoom seems high to me for this discontinued model, especially since I don't want the kit zoom.
The same thing has happened with the older K-30, K-5II, & K-5IIs.

The current prices on eBay for new bodies:
K-30 = $400 with kit lens
K-5II = $709 for body
K-5IIs = $766 for body

Just doesn't make sense. Last year in January, you were able to get a brand new K-5IIs for $500 from B&H. You can currently get a 24MP K-3 with better AF & newer features for $699. A KAF4 compatible 20MP K-S2 is $527. The newer 24MP K-70 goes for $649. All these cameras have newer tech.

Sure the K-5II/5IIs had a better build. Yes. The K-30/5II/5IIs had that great 16MP sensor, but they are not worth the prices that they are asking for. The same goes for the K-50.
10-07-2016, 10:35 AM   #38
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
According to this, 7.2 ounces (about 200g): https://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-BC109-Battery-Charger-D-LI109/dp/B004M07WEG
One with a USB plug instead of AC might be a little bit lighter - useful if you are already carrying a USB-AC adapter to charge your phone or other device.
]
Are you saying the Pentax kit charger can be powered by USB rather than the AC power cord pictured -- or do you mean I should buy a third party charger?

And a phone charger will really work for the wall-to-charger part? Same voltages, etc? I will be carrying an iPhone charger.

10-07-2016, 12:12 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Are you saying the Pentax kit charger can be powered by USB rather than the AC power cord pictured -- or do you mean I should buy a third party charger?
I'm pretty sure you'll need a third-party charger. That being said, with a quick check on Amazon I couldn't find one.

And a phone charger will really work for the wall-to-charger part? Same voltages, etc? I will be carrying an iPhone charger.
I wouldn't worry about this too much. USB doesn't support super high voltages so nothing will likely be damaged. If you use a charger that's lower voltage that what the charger is expecting, it'll charge slower. If it's a higher voltage, it will be charged faster or be absorbed by the charger.

It's sort of like how I can 'super-charge' my iPhone with my iPad charger, but my iPad will charge really slowly if I try to charge it with the iPhone brick.
10-07-2016, 01:24 PM   #40
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

No, I meant a third-party charger like this: https://www.amazon.com/PowerSmart%C2%AE-Battery-Charger-D-LI109-Compatible/dp/B00FRD5IUM
Inexpensive, and only 47 grams. And handy whenever you are travelling.
Yes the wall plug for your iphone with USB output should work, as @Lithedreamer says. In fact it probably outputs 5 volts, the same as the input voltage for the USB DLi109 charger linked above. The main thing is that you will need an AC plug appropriate to the country you are in (voltage and plug type).

Can anyone tell me how much the (included) charger weighs for the ... K-70 or K-S2?
I didn't answer this part of the question. From the Ricoh web site, I gather that it is exactly the same charger as that supplied with the K-50.

Last edited by Des; 10-07-2016 at 02:34 PM.