Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2008, 10:14 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
New to forum

Hello all. New to the forum, and hope I can get some recommendations. I have an older Pentax PZ-10, but don't use it anymore. I've got a couple lenses, so I've been thinking of picking up a DSLR that I can use my lenses with. Currently only using a cheap P&S, but obviously thinking of an upgrade. I'm not looking for any hi-end gear, just something to play around with. Mostly landscape / nature. What is a good body? (good bang for your $)

Thanks all.

07-01-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Hi eccs19

Welcome to this forum. Re your query:

QuoteQuote:
I have an older Pentax PZ-10, but don't use it anymore. I've got a couple lenses, so I've been thinking of picking up a DSLR that I can use my lenses with.
The new 10MP K200D springs to mind, or perhaps if funds are tight either the recently phased-out K100DS 6MP (Super) or maybe a s/h 6MP K100D ?

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 07-01-2008 at 11:37 AM.
07-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's some places to start

First, yes your lenses will work on any Pentax DSLR.

second, any of the DSLR bodies are great value for landscape/ nature. The first generation all used the same sensor: a Sony 6mp CCD. The jpeg processing was updated over time. This is the Ist*D, ist*DS, ist*DL ist*DS2, DL2, K110D, K100D, K100D super.

The D,DS,DS2 have a larger viewfinder (pentaprism v.s. pentamirror). The D,DS,DS2 also support TTL flash v.s. P-TTL only.

The K100D (and super) have in body shake reduction. The K110 does not. all later models have shake reduction built in to the body, which works on ALL lenses such at the old lenses that you already have.

All these are great values. check the marketplace there are several kits for under $400.

The K10 added a Sony 10mp CCD sensor, the better viewfinder, and weather seals, but lost the AA battery support of all previous models.

the K20 updated the K10 with a Pentax/Samsung CMOS 14.6 mp sensor

The K200 put the K10 sensor etc.. into the smaller K100 chassis with AA batts and the pentamirror viewfinder.

Welcome to pentaxforums! check out the pentax knowlede base forum for resources (Pentax Photography Knowledge Base - PentaxForums.com)

and you MUST check out the "boz" pentax database.

tell google you want "pentax boz"

you will find the most comprehensive compilation of pentax gear info imaginable. You can find all teh details about the gear you have at home, to compare with the stuff thats for sale... like the size/weight and close focus distance of those lenses etc..
07-02-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info. I've checked with my local stores, and they seem priced higher than I expected. Can anyone recommend a good online store to purchase from? I'm from Canada, but may consider purchasing from USA if price difference is enough.

Thanks

07-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try here - a s/h K100D (Super is my recommendation) or even some *ist bodies go for sale at a very good price on the marketplace on this forum. You can even put an ad in the Wanted section to say you're looking for one and the price you're willing to pay for it.

All the best and welcome.
07-02-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hello and Welcome. Lisle eh! Looks like a real small town but probably busy being on the outskirts of Camp Borden.

I would say the istD is a good camera but then it depends what resolution you want. Any Pentax is good bang for the buck.

Have a look at the Marketplace here at the PF.
07-02-2008, 09:11 PM   #7

Get the K200D as it is weathersealed and because you'll be out there. The protection would be a plus.. Heheh..

07-03-2008, 05:50 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Hello and Welcome. Lisle eh! Looks like a real small town but probably busy being on the outskirts of Camp Borden.
I'm not actually in the town. I'm outside the town. Have 1 acre, and across the road from a golf course. Great area. Have not been here long, but love it.
07-03-2008, 05:58 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've got another question.

6 MP vs 10 MP. I know the basic difference between them, but just wondering, if I get a nice shot that I would like to blow up, what is the max size that I would be able to get with each one. I don't expect that I would be printing anything out poster size, so I'm wondering if the 6MP would be good enough for what I "may" want.
07-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote

6 MP vs 10 MP. I know the basic difference between them, but just wondering, if I get a nice shot that I would like to blow up, what is the max size that I would be able to get with each one. I don't expect that I would be printing anything out poster size, so I'm wondering if the 6MP would be good enough for what I "may" want.
6MP is fine. You'll be able to print very large. Most of the discussions about megapixels versus printed image size don't take into account how you'll actually use that printed image. If you blow up a 6mp image to a 20x30 print, you'll see some softness when examined closely (of course). However, how close do you actually view a 20x30 print? Probably from a few feet away at the closest, I'd guess. At that range and farther out, you won't notice the softness. It's the same as your big screen TV.

Bottom line, 6mp is fine, and also, those 6 million pixels are less densely packed together than the 10mp sensor, so the 6mp sensor is less noisy.
07-03-2008, 09:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I still shoot my equine shows with either a D1H or D2H(2.74mp and 4mp respectively) and i have done wonderful 11x14's with these two cameras.D1H actually wins out a bit in noise shadow noise.

6MP will be fine.

Dave
07-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the info. I've checked with my local stores, and they seem priced higher than I expected. Can anyone recommend a good online store to purchase from? I'm from Canada, but may consider purchasing from USA if price difference is enough.

Thanks
Check the price at "Prodigital 2000". They are in Canada and have a good reputation.
07-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I had been thinking, and realized that sense I moved, I had not seen any of my equipment, so I went on a hunt. Luckly I found it. Here is what I've got. Let me know if any of this equipment is good quality, or just cheap crap.

First is the camera. PZ-10. They don't seem to be worth much anymore, but it is in good shape.

Next is the lense that came with the camera when I got it. It's a Pentax lense, so I expect it's half decent. Or is it one of their cheapo ones? It's labeled "1:3.5-4.7" It's a 28-80.

Next is a lense made by Magnicon. Never heard of them. Any good? It has a label of "1:4-5.6" It's a 70-210.

Next up is a Tamron doubler. Not sure what else I can say about it.

Overall, do I have a good start if I can get a nice body, or would you recommend tossing what I've got and start over.
07-06-2008, 05:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Here's my FREE advice for what it's worth. Don't chuck anything out, including the body.
Get a used body - our marketplace here is pretty good.

Do some shooting and judge for yourself. The last think you want to do is spend money uselessly.

My 6.1Mp is good enough for me but YOU must judge for yourself, what YOU require.
07-06-2008, 06:00 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi eccs,
Like everything it comes back to $$$$$.
Decide what you want to/ can afford to spend first.

Check out sites like B&H, Adorama, and Amazon for current & competitive prices. As you live in canada these people take a lot of beating.

Given your existing kit, something like a K200D or K20D & kit lens would be good value. If the budget does not go that far, try and find a K100 (6mpx) or a second hand *ist DS or DL.

The kit lens (Pentax 18-55) gives you a handy addition to your existing kit in a wide angle that you dont have now.

If the budget has depth then you can look at a whole range of different options.

Cheers & good luck.
Grant