Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2016, 05:39 PM   #106
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
If Ricoh wanted to get more people to switch to Pentax...

It would be awesome for them to make a left-handed K-3, imagine how many people would want that!

(I'm not left-handed at all, this idea just popped into my head...)
There's an episode of The Simpsons in which Ned Flanders opens a 'Left-Handed Store' at the Springfield Mall, nearly fails, but at the last possible moment Homer saves the day.

01-19-2016, 08:22 PM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If Ricoh wanted to get more people to switch to Pentax...

It would be awesome for them to make a left-handed K-3, imagine how many people would want that!

(I'm not left-handed at all, this idea just popped into my head...)
This has been canvassed previously, and most agreed that it was uneconomic to have two model lines running, including left-dominant shooters. However, it would be more practicable for a modular camera like the Ricoh GX-R to have left and right-handed grips, especially if they persist with having no fixed EVF.
01-19-2016, 08:48 PM   #108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I agree with you on incremental improvements as not being good enough. However, Pentax has been behind in the FF game for so long that any introduction from them is a welcome move. As it happens, the new FF will have some nice features. But at the end of the day it is not going to be so groundbreaking that it is going to be a serious threat to the other brands with established FF offerings. With the FF intro, Pentax is giving the people who want to switch a reason to stay.
You're right that it's hopeless to try capture the guy with 50 lenses in a system. He's going nowhere. But there's a big segment of the market who has an entry camera and single or double kit lens. Those are potential captures, since they have no real money in their current camera and are most assuredly looking to replace the lens anyway.

Obviously you want to keep the people you have. That recent marketing of the FA Limiteds on the full frame was brilliant, just what Ricoh needed to do. They assured a fanbase that their favorite lenses would be better than ever on the new camera, tapping into a loyal audience and building hype in the place most likely to foster it. These are the people who will buy on release day. Sales make sales. If sales are strong to begin with, it makes marketing easier.
01-19-2016, 11:11 PM   #109
Pentaxian

For the umpteenth time, there are emerging markets, not just the mature ones in the West. Ricoh being domiciled in an Asian country (I know the Japanese have been described as the "White Tribe of Asia" but still…) will be well aware of this, even if the Western, predominantly Anglophone participants in this Forum aren't.

01-20-2016, 01:34 AM   #110
Pentaxian

I'm very left-eye dominant, but I don't think my brain would survive the re-wiring it would need to control the camera left-handed!
01-20-2016, 03:54 AM   #111
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
You've made some assumptions there. Mainly, that due to the warehouse model's price being lower than the physical storefront's that these physical storefronts are doomed to fail. However, if you had read my comments a bit more thoroughly, you'd see I mentioned these stores can still survive through a better experience and better support in store. Again, it is up to the store to adapt to make the sale. Apathetic or unknowledgeable salesmen and overinflated prices are the aspects a B&M store must mitigate.

When I walk into a store and I know more than the salesman about the products at hand (and I only know the basics), that tells me they haven't done their homework. I run into that often these days. I can find a wealth more information online in sites such as this Pentax Forum quickly. However, if I want to handle the merchandise, I need the physical store. At that point, once I'm there, if the price is 25% more and the clerk isn't helpful, I'd be a fool to buy from them. Their lure (the physical product NOW) wasn't played well enough to hook me.

I've yet to see a good, helpful business close their doors due to an online retailer. And the neighborhood mechanics still thrive here. While I'm sympathetic to the smaller store being muscled out by the larger (think Walmart), at the end of the day it is a buyer's market and that sadly is part of how it works. If we're dumping money into a store just because it has been around for generations and we're being nostalgic, that is propping up a store that can't sustain itself under the current sales model. However (and agian), a lot of these smaller stores can, and do, survive by providing better support/shopping experience and at least coming into the ballpark of the cost online.
I really am frustrated with the current business model. It is all well and good for Walmart to lower prices in a "community's best interest," but once they force the locally owned grocery stores and hardware stores out of business, they raise their prices quite a bit. And yes, I can drive half an hour and buy from somewhere else, but I live in a rural area and there is no question in my mind that they were glad to have less competition.

As far as camera stores, there are none closer than 60 miles away and so I do buy online and feel free to return gear that doesn't work as advertised. Odds of a store carrying Pentax gear starting in Southern Indiana are slim to none, but I would support such a place, even if it meant paying higher prices than online retailers offer.
01-20-2016, 05:09 AM   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I really am frustrated with the current business model. It is all well and good for Walmart to lower prices in a "community's best interest," but once they force the locally owned grocery stores and hardware stores out of business, they raise their prices quite a bit. And yes, I can drive half an hour and buy from somewhere else, but I live in a rural area and there is no question in my mind that they were glad to have less competition.
We're always sold capitalism as if it's the same as free markets: it's not. If you want to know what capitalism is about, play Monopoly!