Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2016, 11:16 PM   #16
Forum Member

I'm a relative newcomer to the Pentax brand, so I feel a bit out of place commenting on their business philosophy. But to me, Pentax seems like both a content and creative company. They certainly don't advertise heavily in North America. If at all. Maybe they're satisfied with things as they are.

Pentax makes eyepieces for telescopes. They're highly regarded by amateur astronomers, and fairly expensive. But how many do they really sell? I doubt they make a huge amount of money selling eyepieces. But they keep churning them out anyways...

01-17-2016, 12:03 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Cameraworld pulled out of Pentax.. I cannot remember why.

That is an unfortunate choice of words..
01-17-2016, 12:12 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks a lot everyone for all your input.
I think after reading everyone's posts, there's no reason to be any more afraid of Pentax stopping production than any other company.
01-17-2016, 01:10 AM   #19

digging out some aged information
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/33697-buying-pentax-portland.html

Re: Any Pentax dealers in Portland, OR w/K7: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Not sure if all these info are still valid today....

01-17-2016, 01:33 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Welcome and I do hope you decide to take the journey with us. I've owned 7 different Pentax cameras so far and have no doubt they will be around for many years. Heck, if they turned off the lights tomorrow, people would be using K mount lenses for another 10-20 years. Not to mention the adapted K-mount lenses that are increasingly popular on Sony and other brands. Well worth any risk, IMO. Ricoh is very strong and by all indications believes in maintaining and growing the Pentax line, so that is a good sign.

Last edited by mikeSF; 01-18-2016 at 10:19 AM.
01-17-2016, 02:10 AM   #21
Pentaxian

The trend is that Pentax used to develop and maintain a wide range of products: Pentax spot optics (binoculars, scopes etc), weather/water resistant compact cameras (WG), bridges (X5) and a range of entry level (K30/K50/K01) and high-end DSLR (K-5,K-3) and Medium format, and + GR if you consider Ricoh's cameras.

Today, Ricoh+Pentax have reduced to one product line: DSLR FF. All other products having nothing or a slight refresh / redo of marketing offer of the same product.

If the FF sales are enough to feed Pentax folks, will be fine, otherwise, Pentax will classify in history of camera makers.
01-17-2016, 02:59 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Today, Ricoh+Pentax have reduced to one product line: DSLR FF.
What makes you say that? Please share your source of information.

01-17-2016, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote

If the FF sales are enough to feed Pentax folks, will be fine, otherwise, Pentax will classify in history of camera makers.
Don't know what's happened to you over the last couple of months, Biz-engineer.

You've become increasingly irrational, as if you're having a crisis of confidence.
01-17-2016, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Don't forget that photography for most people is a hobby, and it's rare for hobbies to be an investment, so, buy the kit, use it, enjoy your photography. Who knows what prices, manufacturers, etc will be like next year, let alone in 8-10.
01-17-2016, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #25
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax360 Quote
Thanks a lot everyone for all your input.
I think after reading everyone's posts, there's no reason to be any more afraid of Pentax stopping production than any other company.
I think this is your answer. In the next years the number of players in camera manufacturing will get smaller. Who will stop or what players will go together no one knows.

On your purchase. The camera body you buy will have no economic value in three years. Depending on the lenses you buy some will lose value over the coming 5 years and some are good for the next 25 years. That is with all brands. So even when the brand you buy today will go out of business, you are still good to go for the next 5+ years and even some time longer. There are enough camera body's to buy in some years to come even when production would stop. On the bright side, you can then purchase some lenses that are now to expensive for grabs.
01-17-2016, 07:34 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Samsung folks are feeling this today! The NX1 impresses reviewers and amazes owners, yet the NX mount has been quietly disappearing across Europe. It's still a great camera but owners talk like the cams will all self-destruct (I assume on April 1st?). Lens supplies will dwindle at some point but the cameras will be just fine; I grabbed a gently-used NX300 as my super-Q backup.
01-17-2016, 07:42 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Today, Ricoh+Pentax have reduced to one product line: DSLR FF. All other products having nothing or a slight refresh / redo of marketing offer of the same product.
Did you just say Ricoh +Pentax make one product? Really? Do you proof read your work?
25 years ago Ricoh sponsored my touch football team, in an unknown football league in Toronto. This is not a small company. At that point Ricoh SLRs were history, but Ricoh has a long tradition in the camera industry and used to make Pentax compatable gear. But they also make a lot of other stuff.

Thats like saying GE make one product. Light bulbs.

You seriously need to get back to a neutral outlook here, where stuff you say is actually true. One bad SDM lens and you totally lose touch with reality. That's not healthy.
01-17-2016, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

There seems to be a wealth of dealers who stock Nikon and Canon DSLR cameras but not Pentax/Ricoh. Looking at the cameras they are always the most basic entry level cameras and budget zoom lenses. The higher level Nikon and Canon cameras and lenses are just as hard to find as Pentax.
01-17-2016, 08:09 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnhilvert Quote
While only about one one in 20 interchangeable lens devices are Pentax these days, there remains a strong disproportionate interest in the brand.

I suspect this is due Ricoh/Pentax making backward lens mount compatibility fundamental to its future. So the market of Pentax users is broad and rather loyal notwithstanding, it is not a top brand purchase these days. I also suspect Pentax users hold onto their gear much longer than other brands.
In the video game world, the nerds would argue about "attach rate," which is the number of games a user buys for a given system. For a while, the PS3 was selling a lot of units but not moving as many games; people were buying it to play Blu-ray movies and use a media hub. That's fine for the user but Sony only makes money on the software license.

It's something similar with cameras. Canon especially sells a lot of units to people who buy the lowest Rebel model kit and never buy anything else again. Canon makes some profit on that but it doesn't really help their bottom line all that much. It's market share but it's not useful market share. When that camera dies or just grows too old, the guy may replace it with another brand since he has nothing keeping him in the Canon system.

There's no way to measure "useful market share," the percentage of your buyers who are repeat buyers. That's the slice that makes the money.
01-17-2016, 08:16 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
P360, go for another brand if you just want to run with the herd

Go with a cell phone e.g. iPhone Samsung one of the better brands. Many more advances to come for these Swiss Knives. Even Go-Pro the latest fad is oversold - layoffs coming!
Ricoh will be around for a long time with their imaging division but the photographic div only as long as the $$$$profits are there. Same for Nikon , Canon etc. .
Used pentax & 26 million lens will keep the appetite going for some time after the new production shuts down.