Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
01-18-2016, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
if you are looking to benchmark you can try the DXOMark web page they have benchmarking for both the K-50 and the K-S1, they are both fairley evenly matched so I don't know if they will be helpful in determining what's best for you.

By and large, and I think most will agree, find someplace to handle both cameras if you can see which one fits comfortably in your hands. Bring your lenses put them on, see how the both feel. You can have the greatest camera in the world but if it doesn't fit comfortably in your hand than you will never use it.

01-18-2016, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biker62 Quote
Hello again.

Many thanks for your opinions, specially te ones regarding some canadian idiomatic peculiarities.

Lets talk first about money. I can have the K-s1+18-55 kit lens for 370 €. The K-50+18-55 WR kit lens costs 433€. But the K-s2+18-55 WR costs 700€, near a 90% more than the K-s1 and totally out of my budget.

If I buy the camera out of the EU, I must pay taxes and custom fees. In addition, if I buy it out of Spain, I losse 1 year of warranty (normal warranty time is 2 years in Spain).

Back to the cameras, K-50's weather sealing seems to be a strong positive point, I agree. But I have not yet clear whether the improved sensor balances the loss of this feature (along with electronic level, user customizable modes, interval shooting, multiple exposures capability....).

It's hard to find an image quality benchmarking between K-50 and K-s1. Any suggestion?

Both sensors are good, but I think the K-s1 is a bit of a quirky camera It has non standard controls for a Pentax and I don't think they will make another one like it. The sensor on the K-s1 will be a bit sharper because of more mp and no anti aliasing filter, but that is not noticeable when shooting with the kit lens. Both sensors are made by Sony. Autofocus is also a little bit better than on the K-50 (especially in live view).

There are reviews of both camera's on this site:
Pentax K-S1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Pentax K-50 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
01-18-2016, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #33

It's hard to find an image quality benchmarking between K-50 and K-s1. Any suggestion?
I would look n the K-S1/K-S2 and K-30/k-50 section of the forum at all the images that have been posted from these cameras as well as the comments from the posters and judge for yourself rather than rely on a bunch of numbers that have little to do with human perception.

Back to the cameras, K-50's weather sealing seems to be a strong positive point, I agree. But I have not yet clear whether the improved sensor balances the loss of this feature (along with electronic level, user customizable modes, interval shooting, multiple exposures capability....).
If you feel the need for these features by all means go for the K-50. Either camera will give you outstanding images and I don't think you'll regret either choice on the basis of sensor alone.

It's a tough decision - I seriously looked into the K-S1 and K-S2 wanting to upgrade my aging K10D. The lack of a few features like external power jack, interval shoot and cabled tethering were deal breakers for me. Had I a K3 or K5 I would pick up a K-S1 or K-S2 without hesitation as a second for "fun only" body. Like many other I'm waiting to see how the Full-Frame camera will change the game.
01-18-2016, 10:06 AM   #34
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
agreed - especially since a lot will depend upon the lens and the shooter behind the camera... to be honest, you probably won't see much difference between the two as far as picture quality..

01-18-2016, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I would look n the K-S1/K-S2 and K-30/k-50 section of the forum at all the images that have been posted from these cameras as well as the comments from the posters and judge for yourself rather than rely on a bunch of numbers that have little to do with human perception.
Looking at images is a good thing, but much of what you will be seeing is how good the photographer was. A bad photographer can make even the best camera look bad. That's why lab numbers can be helpful.

I've owned numerous DSLRs over the years, starting with old 4/3 DSLRs, then Canon APS-C, then Pentax, along with various generations of m43 sprinkled in along the way. I've also owned some large-sensor compacts, such as the Olympus XZ-1, Sony RX100 Mark I and II, and the FF Sony RX1, and the Panasonic LX100. And I've gotten to use many other great cameras along the way.

What I've learned is that the results from the DXoMark sensor score track very closely with the relative sensor performance I have seen with my own eyes over years of use and thousands and thousands of images as I upgraded from one camera to the next. So for me, DXoMark is a very handy means to compare sensor performance, and I don't get why some people are so quick to dismiss it like it's all smoke and mirrors.

Now when we're talking about lenses, then it's true that things get much more subjective, and hard numbers simply cannot tell the story of a particular lens. But sensors, being the electronic devices they are, are much easier to benchmark in the lab.
01-18-2016, 10:30 AM   #36
Forum Member

Lets talk first about money. I can have the K-s1+18-55 kit lens for 370 €. The K-50+18-55 WR kit lens costs 433€. But the K-s2+18-55 WR costs 700€, near a 90% more than the K-s1 and totally out of my budget.
Camera Canada has the K-50 with DAL 18-55mm WR lens on sale for about $470 CAD. Since a Euro is worth about $1.58 CAD, might it make sense to buy the camera from Canada?

Camera Canada :: Pentax :: K50 16MP DSLR with DAL 18-55mm WR Lens BLACK

Oops, the link doesn't work like I hoped. But you can find it on their website easily enough.

Last edited by DougieD; 01-18-2016 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Link doesn't work quite right.
01-18-2016, 10:36 AM   #37
Forum Member

If you feel the need for these features by all means go for the K-50. Either camera will give you outstanding images and I don't think you'll regret either choice on the basis of sensor alone.

It's a tough decision - I seriously looked into the K-S1 and K-S2 wanting to upgrade my aging K10D. The lack of a few features like external power jack, interval shoot and cabled tethering were deal breakers for me. Had I a K3 or K5 I would pick up a K-S1 or K-S2 without hesitation as a second for "fun only" body. Like many other I'm waiting to see how the Full-Frame camera will change the game.
The K-S2 has external power by an adapter that replaces the battery, and interval timing. I presume you mean camera control for "cabled tethering." There is one for PC's at Sourceforge, it approximately duplicates Image Sync, I think. Can't say for sure since the buggy Ricoh program only displays me a black screen on my Android.

01-18-2016, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

If it's all about the budget then by all means go for the lowest price other wise since it is your first DSLR then you may consider more than price. I made that mistake when I first switched to Pentax and bought a k50 to start with for budget reasons. After 3 months the there were too many features I missed with my old system and upraded to the k5 lls.
01-18-2016, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Although the OP says most of his/her photograph is taken at seascapes or often aboard sailing boats it is rather extreme to limit the use of a K-S1 to indoors.
Yes, you're right and I shouldn't have gone to that extent in saying indoors only. But I lived in Venice Beach for many years, and still live within blocks of the ocean and as you know, the ocean breeze and salt air is ever present. With and around non-WR cameras, they will usually function fine most of the time, but on a boat or in nature, things do get dicey and I've seen many shut down simply because of high humidity or sudden temperature shifts like from an air conditioning car or building to outdoors.

To answer the OP's latest post: Every photographer has different priorities, but the first one for all of us is that we are not afraid to take it out with us into the elements and that the camera works when the environment is less than ideal. The advantages of the K-S1 are nice, but are trumped by the one thing the K-50 has...WR. There is a reason the K-S1 is the least expensive...right? As others have suggested, the K-S2 is the best of the bunch, but at current prices, the K-50 is still the smart choice.
01-18-2016, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #40

Xavier,

I recommend you monitor the flash deals and deals of the day on Amazon France and Germany. They are usually lower priced than Spain (and UK), and I am pretty sure you can buy from any EU country and keep 2 year warranty.

Amazon.fr have the KS1 on a flash deal at 23h30 (UK time) tonight - I expect it will be going at 200 Euros (it has previously) - if you can pick up cheap 2nd hand kit lens, you might be up and running for under 300 Euros...

---------- Post added 01-18-16 at 12:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DougieD Quote
Camera Canada has the K-50 with DAL 18-55mm WR lens on sale for about $470 CAD. Since a Euro is worth about $1.58 CAD, might it make sense to buy the camera from Canada?

Camera Canada :: Pentax :: K50 16MP DSLR with DAL 18-55mm WR Lens BLACK

Oops, the link doesn't work like I hoped. But you can find it on their website easily enough.
Not sure about Spain, but in the UK we are charged an import duty, and then Value Added Tax on top of that. I looked at buying from bandhphoto, but unfortunately those add-ons (and delivery) eliminate any saving.
01-18-2016, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

Back in December I was also in the position of trying to choose between the K-50 and the K-S1. I went for the K-S1 because of the latest generation AA filterless sensor, and I'm very happy with the results I'm getting. Ultimately the decision came down to looking at hundreds of photos here and on Flickr and deciding that I preferred the rendering style of the K-S1.
02-29-2016, 09:17 AM   #42

Original Poster
Final decision

Finally it's done!

A brand new K-50 finally arrived at my home. It came with the DAL 18-55 WR and the DAL 50-200 WR. I know that I have not the best lenses, but I believe that this is a good kit to start in the DSLR world.

This is the look with the old F 1:1,7 50 mm, coming from my ME Super times.

Many thanks to all the guys that spent part of their time helping me.
02-29-2016, 09:32 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Congrats. The lens that is on it F 50mm 1.7 is an excellent one though!
02-29-2016, 11:16 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 18-55mm WR is highly under rated and shouldn't be dismissed just because it is a kit lens. Pentax wants this camera to shine and it would be a big mistake for them to sell their cameras in kits with mediocre glass. Yes, the 50-200mm WR zoom is just average, but for the price, it's a great start. Kudos on your new K-50!!!
03-01-2016, 08:54 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulation on your purchase! I think you made a good choice. That K50 will last you for as long as you wish to keep it and the pictures its capable of will continuously amaze you!