Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2016, 08:35 AM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I've not handled a KS-1, but I've read that it has a smaller grip than a K-50... I have used a K-50 and it is an amazing camera...
I liked the K-S1 and used it for a few months..great camera. That said, the ergonomics of the grip was just too small for me, especially with the Sigma 18-250 on it..just not comfortable. Sold it and using the K-50. Coming from a Nikon D90 which is a great camera, the K-50 is just a great all around camera with it's 100% OVF view, two control wheels, focus peaking, and weather resistance. Very happy with Pentax. If possible, see if you can play with a K-S1 in store to see how it feels in hand. It's a very well built camera. Also look at the K-S2 as that camera looks to be another great choice and a bit smaller than the K-50. Good luck!

EDIT: just read you got the K-50! Good choice and wishing you many "keepers"!

03-09-2016, 06:55 AM   #47

Can I ask what swayed you to the k-50?

I've had enough of my K-r's problems now and narrowed it down to these 2 cameras, on paper not a lot separates them, snapsort gives the win by a few points to the k-50, but image quality, iso, colour depth etc are all wins for the k-s1, so don't understand how they got to that score!
I digress...

k-s1 is currently available for 199.99, and the k-50 for 269.99 (in red, black would be 340)

To a hobbyist like me, who is more than happy with the k-r's performance, would I be better off spending 70 more? and why?!
are the ergonomics really that bad?
03-09-2016, 09:31 AM   #48

QuoteQuote:
To a hobbyist like me, who is more than happy with the k-r's performance, would I be better off spending 70 more? and why?!
are the ergonomics really that bad?
Ergonomics are a big part of it. The other big part of it is removal of weatherproofing, which was why I went for the K-50 (it's simply the cheapest weatherproof camera with decent image quality).

There are small differences - the KS-1 doesn't support AA batteries, it doesn't support a wired remote, no built-in intervalometer. I guess these are indeed rather niche features that most people aren't going to need, but you might want them one day!

On the other hand the KS-1 is significantly smaller and lighter, so if you have it round your neck all day, that might be pretty useful.
03-14-2016, 03:11 AM   #49

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ergonomics (single control wheel, smaller grip and the very exposed AF button of the KS-1) was a big part of my decision, right. But this was not enough to decide.

As far as I know, color depth is 12 bit in both cameras. KS-1's IQ is supposed to be better, 20 Mpx would be better than 16 Mpx, but as was said previously in this thread, the Mpx amount is not a decisive factor at these levels. In my opinion, the only KS-1's strong point that beats clearly the K-50 is the supression of the AA-filter.

The small improvements in conectivity and sound recording quality done in the KS-1 don't beat IMHO the weatherproof sealing (I'm often shooting aboard small sailing boats!), better continuous shooting, built-in intervalometer, AA-batteries compatibility (AA Lithium batteries more than doubles the standard battery life) and electronic level.

It's true than KS-1 is less expensive than K-50, (370€ vs 430€ with the 18-55 kit lens in the online grey market), but finally I bought a kit with 18-55 + 50-200 (both WR) for 520€ in a brick&mortar store, with the full 2-years spanish warranty.

Finally, the best advice that someone gave me during the decision process was to go to a shop and hold both cameras in my hands. I know that this is not a rational point, but the K-50's handling feeling convinced me much more.

Anyway, you are facing a difficult decision.

Last edited by biker62; 03-16-2016 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Typo
03-16-2016, 07:25 AM   #50

This is a great thread! I had a K-50 and picked up a K-S1 on sale. I haven't opened it up but based on the opinions here, I am thinking I will let it go and keep the K-50. Thanks
03-17-2016, 10:40 AM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by sdstp Quote
This is a great thread! I had a K-50 and picked up a K-S1 on sale. I haven't opened it up but based on the opinions here, I am thinking I will let it go and keep the K-50. Thanks
Both great cameras and no wrong choices! Have you seen the K-S2? I like it's features and svelte size. I read positives on it's IQ too.