Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2016, 09:40 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd recommend the K-50. The WR is a hidden insurance that will keep your camera running for many years. The K-S1 is a nice choice IF most of your photography is intended indoors. But since you mentioned that most of your intended photography is outdoors, the K-50 is a real achievement to have that single quality at the price for which they are sold.

01-18-2016, 12:02 AM   #17

I really think the the K-50 is your best choice in order to avoid any after-purchase regrets. It performs as well or better, in some aspects, than the K-30 which can produce outstanding IQ.
01-18-2016, 12:17 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I currently have a K-30 (older generation of the K-50) and I got my father a K-S1 for Christmas. To me, the K-S1 is a nice entry level camera to get someone started and used to some of the concepts of photography and using a DSLR. However, for anyone that has some history with cameras, the K-50 or even the K-S2 would be a minimum consideration. Other posters have pretty much hit on all the valid points. While the K-S1 does have a smaller grip, it is quite usable but I've come to love how the K-30 fits in my hand and how I can hold it so easily with its grip.
01-18-2016, 06:19 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Up until recently I owned a K-30 which is more or less the same as the K-50 minus some features. The K-30 was a great camera, handled nicely and took pretty fantastic photos. Though I have not personally handled the K-S1, I would be wary of the K-S1 as it does not have the ergonomics that you find with the K-50 and it lacks some of the control features (two control dials being most obvious) that the K-50 posses.

I would recommend the 18-135wr lens. The 18-135 is a fantastic kit lens plus it ensures your setup is fully weather resistant and right now this kit is fairly inexpensive for what you get. Check it out at adorama- http://www.adorama.com/IPXK50B18135.html

Last edited by W.j.christy; 01-18-2016 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Noticed i put the wrong link up.
01-18-2016, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

If I were to choose on the mid range cameras I'd pass on both and pony up for the KS-2. You would have 20MP, NFC bluetooth pairing, built in wifi, no anti alias filter with option to simulate, an articulating screen (something I would have liked my K3 ll to have) , to name a few. I almost opted to go with the KS-2 for those since I already have a K5 lls but the lure of the K3 ll was too strong and I don't regret getting it.
01-18-2016, 06:28 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just checked the prices of the K-S2 with an 18-135 and its only a $100 more than the K-50. I would second the motion for the K-S2 if its within your budget. To many extras that make it hard to pass up.

Pentax K-S2 DSLR Camera with 18-135mm WR Lens- Black 11588
01-18-2016, 06:54 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DougieD Quote
I had my K-50 with me at the river today shooting geese and ducks. It was snowing and about -6 C and the camera was exposed to the elements for about 3 hours. I normally bring a spare toque to cover the camera when I'm not snapping pictures, but today I forgot it.
I swear I've never heard the word "toque" before. Must be a Canadian thing! How do you even say it?

01-18-2016, 06:58 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I swear I've never heard the word "toque" before. Must be a Canadian thing! How do you even say it?
In BC, Manitoba, and in Nova Scotia, I've heard it pronounced as a "tuke" rhymes with Luke, Duke, and puke.
01-18-2016, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #24

The resolution difference between 16MP and 20MP is very minor...not nearly as significant as you might think. So I would probably take that off the list of significant differences. The weather sealing is probably a much more meaningful difference.
The image quality difference goes beyond sensor resolution. For one the K-S1 does not have an anti-aliasing filter. But beyond that the "rendering" of images are different - much like the difference between CCD vs CMOS sensors. Difficult to define, perhaps not "significant" but noticeable.

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I'd recommend the K-50. The WR is a hidden insurance that will keep your camera running for many years. The K-S1 is a nice choice IF most of your photography is intended indoors. But since you mentioned that most of your intended photography is outdoors, the K-50 is a real achievement to have that single quality at the price for which they are sold.
Although the OP says most of his/her photograph is taken at seascapes or often aboard sailing boats it is rather extreme to limit the use of a K-S1 to indoors. After all weather sealing on consumer level cameras is a rather recent phenomena and even Nikon and Canon rarely include weather sealing on their consumer level cameras. It would be like saying don't go outdoors without a raincoat. Never mind that Barcelona Spain no doubt has many fine weather days.

However given the OPs stated typical shooting locations WR would not be a bad thing.
01-18-2016, 07:52 AM   #25
Forum Member

I, too, started with considering the K-50 a few weeks ago. It's obvious by pricing that Pentax is looking at it and the S1 that they are end of life products. Move them out the door. Nothing wrong with that, just sort of tells you go to the K-S2 if you can swing it.

And speaking of swing, if you can't find many situations for the swing out/tilt/turn around LCD screen, you are not very creative. Unlike the poster above that calls it a useless accessory, it is THE reason I upped from the 50 to the S2. I fell in love with the simple up/down screen on my Konica-Minolta A2 and the thought of not having it anymore was distressing. Looking at pictures of the 50 with the fixed screen almost caused a knot in my stomach.

If it's in your budget, go with the K-S2.
01-18-2016, 08:42 AM   #26
Forum Member

Lol, like Alex645 said, basically. It's pronounced like the number "2" but with the "k" sound on the end. I guess it is a Canuck thing!
01-18-2016, 09:16 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Probably called jockstrap in the US. In Holland we use it too (the word, we don't all wear it ) but we say "tock"
01-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #28
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Probably called jockstrap in the US. In Holland we use it too (the word, we don't all wear it ) but we say "tock"
It's actually a winter hat! Why would I put a jockstrap on my camera?
01-18-2016, 09:23 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DougieD Quote
It's actually a winter hat! Why would I put a jockstrap on my camera?
To support and protect it of course
01-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #30

Original Poster
Hello again.

Many thanks for your opinions, specially te ones regarding some canadian idiomatic peculiarities.

Lets talk first about money. I can have the K-s1+18-55 kit lens for 370 €. The K-50+18-55 WR kit lens costs 433€. But the K-s2+18-55 WR costs 700€, near a 90% more than the K-s1 and totally out of my budget.

If I buy the camera out of the EU, I must pay taxes and custom fees. In addition, if I buy it out of Spain, I losse 1 year of warranty (normal warranty time is 2 years in Spain).

Back to the cameras, K-50's weather sealing seems to be a strong positive point, I agree. But I have not yet clear whether the improved sensor balances the loss of this feature (along with electronic level, user customizable modes, interval shooting, multiple exposures capability....).

It's hard to find an image quality benchmarking between K-50 and K-s1. Any suggestion?