Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2016, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #31
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richardstringer Quote
as far as I know the best image quality camera Pentax make.
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
The best IQ Pentax has to offer would probably be the 645Z followed by the 645D
That's what I was going to say!!

---------- Post added 01-21-16 at 07:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I asked her what she was doing and she replied, "I'm so used to the K3, the K30 is useless. I might as well use my phone, because it's not worth the effort to carry the bag around." That sums up the K3 vs K30.
I find that very strange... Whenever I feel like i've outgrown my k-30, i usually find its not the camera that needs to be better, but me.

01-22-2016, 05:03 AM   #32

Original Poster
I only want a K3 II to get even better image quality not better composition etc...I don't think the K3 II will make me a better photographer, it'll just get me better image quality.
01-22-2016, 09:36 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Wow... I routinely pulled my K50 out of the bag and used it while I owned both the K50 and K3 - I cannot imagine why she felt that way. The only area that I feel like the K50 was a major step back was low light focusing. The ergonomics are different enough and the controls are different enough that could cause some mental gymnastics but that wasn't a deal breaker for me.

I can see how if you have become used to a particular set of control customizations it could be difficult. The placement of several key buttons is different and it could confuse some people a lot.

Even so I can't imagine putting up a K30 for an iPhone.

Are you sure she's a keeper?
The AF of the K30 is atrocious since it suffers from the same idiosyncrasies of the K5 series. When shooting moving subjects, or less contrasty subjects in the presence of high contrast backgrounds (such as animals in branchy foliage), the AF logic misses repeatedly. These are her main photographic interests and the K30 just fails far too often to get the shot. Constant hunting and incorrect focus lock can be extremely frustrating. (I literally almost threw my K5iis in a dumpster after one extremely high value miss. It's poor AF cost me a good deal of money that day)

Yes, the image quality of the K30 is better than an iphone (if the camera functions as you expect it to), but if the K30 won't cooperate, it becomes static weight. Given landscape photography is low on her list of pursuits, she used her phone to kill time when I was shooting my landscapes. The return of the K30 to the car was because she had abandoned her pursuit of fauna.

I relayed this anecdote to make a point, if somewhat dramatically, that there is a huge difference between the performance of a K3 vs a K30. I will even say that from a static landscape perspective, I would not be happy with a K30, should I be "forced" to use one temporarily either. There are several advanced functions available on the K3 that are NOT available on the K30, that I use regularly. I would be forced to adjust my shooting process and techniques, which would ultimately affect the final image. The lack of AA filter also results in an empirical difference in images that really cannot be recreated in PP (to my satisfaction). I'm not going to get off on that tangent, so just let's just leave that as a personal opinion.

The bottom line for both me and my GF is that a K3 is far superior to a K30, such that the K30 really is not an option for our photographic pursuits, if given a choice.
01-22-2016, 10:28 AM   #34

Original Poster
I love my K30 and I don't get any of those problems,it's auto-focus is tight as a drum, it's definately the best camera i've ever had and I think personally if you know what settings to use and you've set the camera up properly in the many, many, many settings in the main menu then you should be able to get great shots everytime. But i'm definately getting the K3 II though that's a definate.

01-22-2016, 01:51 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's amazing... when the auto features of a camera fails... how often people give up. Switch to manual and get the job done, it just takes a little longer at times to dial things in.
01-23-2016, 02:12 AM   #36

Original Poster
Has anyone used the Pentax 16-85mm f3.5-5.6 ED DC WR HD DA lens? I was gonna get the Pentax 35mm f2.8 Macro DA Limited prime lens but the review of the 16-85mm is excellent and the extra focal length range can truly be good enough to fully replace my current Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 that I use 95% of the time for walking about.

Pentax 16-85mm f3.5-5.6 ED DC WR HD DA Lens (21387) - Wex Photographic

Pentax 16-85mm f3-5 Lens Review
https://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/item/pentax-hd-pentax-da-16-85mm-f-3-5-...r-5656/reviews

01-23-2016, 04:25 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
The AF of the K30 is atrocious since ... etc ... etc ...
I've shot wildlife, sports and aircraft with the K-30 with focal lengths ranging from 17 to 500mm and have not had problems that were not of my own devising.

If a small bird is amongst high contrast branches I turn to manual focus straight away. The camera cannot look into your soul and know what you want.
01-23-2016, 07:45 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The AF on both my K-30's became worse over time. It wasn't too bad with one of them, but the other body became horrible to work with - it would happily miss focus even when shooting wide and at small apertures like f5.6 or 8.

When I first got the K-30's I was in total awe. The AF was snappy and I could keep using the cameras in much much lower light whereas the K-x, which I had prior to owning the K-30's, became useless.

Beside the worsening AF over time, I didn't notice any other oddities about them. To me, they worked as expected - except continuous focusing though, but even with K-3II that's still crap. Both K-30's served me well though and when I started to look for new camera-bodies, I looked towards K-30 again. It was nowhere to be found anymore so I went with K-3 II.

I now have 2 K-3II bodies and while I'm not as much in awe with these (I'm just harder to impress today :P ), the AF is a big improvement over that of K-30.

Kind of like the K-x becoming useless under too low light, the K-30 equipped with longer focals, also became useless once the light level dropped too low - however with the K-3II, I can just keep shooting. It's only when you can barely make out facial details, that the K-3II have issues focusing.

Either cameras are great - I covered many weddings over a period of 2 years, with the K-30's. Not going to say it wasn't all that.

01-23-2016, 03:35 PM   #39
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
If a small bird is amongst high contrast branches I turn to manual focus straight away. The camera cannot look into your soul and know what you want.
This is where a lens with QuickShift (or other manual focus override) is particularly handy, so you don't need to flick the switch on the camea.
01-23-2016, 03:52 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That the K3-II is a better camera all round than the K30 is a given. It is a simple, undeniable fact. It is also a simple, undeniable fact that the nature of some people's shooting renders the K3-II's advantages and extra features irrelevant to them, especially in the light of the price paid; e.g. for me, the lack of a flash on the K3-II body (in exchange for a GPS/astrotracer I don't want) is a deal breaker when the original model has one; it won't be a deal-breaker on the full-frame because there isn't an equivalent Pentax full-frame DSLR with an onboard flash (yet) and the major intended use would be professional (medical) photography under conditions where an external (ring) flash is mandatory anyway.
01-27-2016, 06:03 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I'm sure the K-3 II is a better camera, however, I love my K-30 . It is not perfect, but it is a great little camera.

And unlike the K-3 / K-3 II / K-5 / K-5 II , the K-30 can take AA batteries without a grip, which makes it a much better option for me.

I had the opportunity to look at a K-5 II this summer that my brother in law bought, and I didn't like it it at all - saving different defaults for each mode was very confusing.
An error caused him to shoot all his summer pictures at 2 MP ... He had switched the MP in one of the modes only but not the other. Glad I don't have that camera, that would drive me nuts ! Sometimes, simpler is just better.

I don't have any problem with AF with the K-30 except in Liveview where it's pretty much unusable, especially indoors, but CDAF with a DSLR is just a bad idea anyway.

I love the picture quality of the K-30 in RAW, and usually don't do any PP, except at ISO > 3200 when I apply some NR .

The main things I can fault the K-30 for are related to video and audio :

1) no > 30 min video recording
This is an issue common to all Pentax DSLRs so far, and unfortunately, most other brands as well.

2) mirror slap noise when video recording ends, which is not necessary
No such issue on my Canon T3i DSLR

3) mono / 32 kHz audio is absolutely terrible
Not sure if the other Pentax bodies are better in this regard

4) "washing machine" noise is heard in video's audio, even when video SR is disabled

5) there is no mic input jack to obtain better audio
This feature is available on the higher end Pentax bodies (K-5, K-3)

6) no articulated screen
This has been solved in the K-S2 . Not in the K-3 II .

All these issues make it challenging to record music videos with the K-30 .

As far as as taking still photos, for me, the K-30 is pretty much the perfect camera.

My only caveat for stills with the K-30 is :
The full auto mode on the K-30 is stupid when you use flash - it results in long exposures.

The fix is simple - never use the auto mode.
I almost always shoot in RAW, in P mode with auto ISO from 100-6400 . I'm seldom unhappy with the results.

Oh, and the K-3 II lacks a flash, which the K-30 has. I don't often use it, but it does come in handy.
I would rather not have to carry a separate flash. Just like I don't want to carry a battery grip for my AA batteriess.

I lost my K-30 recently on a trip, and just bought another one for $199 on ebay.
I don't see another Pentax camera that's more suitable for me.

If Pentax can resolve all the audio/video issues above, allow in-body AA batteries (without grip), put a flash back in, and support 4K/60p video recording, I will buy the Pentax FF. I'm not very hopeful, as so far, Pentax seems to be moving exactly in the opposite direction of my needs with their newer bodies. The K-30 may be the last Pentax body I ever buy. Then again, no one else is meeting my needs either.