Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2016, 09:03 AM   #1
Forum Member

Square Trade Warranties

For those buying a new camera, consider the SquareTrade options. Far cheaper and more comprehensive than what dealers offer. They base the cost on what you paid for your camera.......be sure to think of the body only if you got a lens, too. I got a three year concurrent with Pentax's one year that covers drops, spills, controls, everything, for $108. They claim a five day turnaround after receiving the camera, which from what I hear beats all to hell the Ricoh repairs. The camera must have been bought in the last 30 days. Maybe?

Are they any good? Reviews generally rave about ST. I had a used phone about 7 years ago. I paid $70 for it, got the warranty for something like $15? Phone died, I notified them, they said "Here's your $70, keep it." I sold it for parts on eBay for more than the warranty cost.

Square Trade offers warranties for almost everything in consumer electronics.

01-19-2016, 11:00 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had to use ST on 2 camera bodies. Both got dipped in the river and died. In both cases they ended up giving me the $ to buy new cameras because they couldn't be repaired. I do not buy anything new without ST. Piece of mind and since I am on the water so much I have a higher chance of having surprises. Yes I know it can be considered a waste of money but if you figure out the money over 3 years it's a drop in the bucket. I think they are awesome!!!

---------- Post added 01-19-16 at 01:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by paulvzo Quote
For those buying a new camera, consider the SquareTrade options. Far cheaper and more comprehensive than what dealers offer. They base the cost on what you paid for your camera.......be sure to think of the body only if you got a lens, too. I got a three year concurrent with Pentax's one year that covers drops, spills, controls, everything, for $108. They claim a five day turnaround after receiving the camera, which from what I hear beats all to hell the Ricoh repairs. The camera must have been bought in the last 30 days. Maybe?

Are they any good? Reviews generally rave about ST. I had a used phone about 7 years ago. I paid $70 for it, got the warranty for something like $15? Phone died, I notified them, they said "Here's your $70, keep it." I sold it for parts on eBay for more than the warranty cost.

Square Trade offers warranties for almost everything in consumer electronics.

I forgot to add I think they got smart and now expect you to send in the dead item

01-19-2016, 12:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I bought one for my daughter's camcorder, which, as expected, she broke. They sent us a check for the replacement cost.
01-19-2016, 02:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Basic Square Trade coverage is an insurance policy intended as supplemental to the manufacturer's warranty. You can also add accidental drops and spills at additional expense. If the manufacturer's warranty is still in effect, Square Trade has the right to refer to that warranty.

Remedies (at their discretion):
  • Repair
  • Cash or gift card up to the replacement amount or policy value at their discretion
  • Replacement with like, kind, quality, and functionality

All told, it may well be a good deal for many owners, particularly if a "drops and spills" rider is added.

Extended Warranty Insurance - Extended Warranties - Electronics Insurance

(Note the non-covered provisions in the linked document above.)

Steve

01-20-2016, 10:09 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Basic Square Trade coverage is an insurance policy intended as supplemental to the manufacturer's warranty. You can also add accidental drops and spills at additional expense. If the manufacturer's warranty is still in effect, Square Trade has the right to refer to that warranty.

Remedies (at their discretion):
  • Repair
  • Cash or gift card up to the replacement amount or policy value at their discretion
  • Replacement with like, kind, quality, and functionality

All told, it may well be a good deal for many owners, particularly if a "drops and spills" rider is added.

Extended Warranty Insurance - Extended Warranties - Electronics Insurance

(Note the non-covered provisions in the linked document above.)

Steve
The ST digital camera policy appears to run concurrent with Pentax's one year. Pentax, of course, does not cover drops and spills for any length of time, which the ST does from day one. In other words, it's more than an extended warranty.