Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2008, 06:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How is your K20D setup for jpeg?

I just received my K20D very recently and am wondering what other people have settled on as far as getting decent JPEGs out of the camera. The 'stock' settings look pretty good, and I did try to bump the 'fine sharpness' a bit but the noise increase was a little discouraging!

I'd like to shoot mostly RAW but it'd be nice to get the best possible JPEGs out of the camera for when I do use them. Any suggestions on where to start?

07-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #2

I use Natural mode with +1 sharpening. Seems to be good
07-01-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
I just received my K20D very recently and am wondering what other people have settled on as far as getting decent JPEGs out of the camera. The 'stock' settings look pretty good, and I did try to bump the 'fine sharpness' a bit but the noise increase was a little discouraging!

I'd like to shoot mostly RAW but it'd be nice to get the best possible JPEGs out of the camera for when I do use them. Any suggestions on where to start?
As always, work from the print, where you have the least control, back to the camera.
For myself, if I am printing jpegs, I want what is coming off the camera to be printable with as little post processing as possible.
If my intent is an internet presentation, then that is what I aim for. Fortunately, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Anyway, do a test where you shoot the same scene at several combinations of in camera processing and determine what is best.
Have the lab make unadjusted prints and go from there.
07-01-2008, 08:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use natural but bump up the sharpness by 1 and the contrast by 1

07-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I use natural with no changes at all and concentrate more on PP. The only reason for this is that aircraft photography requires a high level of PP and by upping the sharpness in-camera can cause some unwanted effects.
07-02-2008, 01:30 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
I'd like to shoot mostly RAW but it'd be nice to get the best possible JPEGs out of the camera for when I do use them.
You can shoot RAW+ = both RAW and JPEG, and use RAW as backup which you will erase when not needed, i.e. normally use JPEG directly, but when something goes wrong (e.g. incorrect white balance), or when you make shoot of your life (landing of UFO) you still have original RAW.

Another great feature of K20D is that you can do conversion RAW>JPEG in camera, even for several shoots at once! So you can shoot RAW only, and later decide which shoots can be converted to good JPEG, which to more compressed JPEG, and which are worth keeping original - and all this still directly with camera.