Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2016, 07:44 AM   #1

GPS Battery Depletion

I have discovered that on my K3 II the GPS remains on when the camera is shut off and the GPS will deplete the battery in a week with the camera sitting shut off. If you use the GPS, be sure to shut it off with the button on the side of the pentaprism housing and the little red light goes off before you shut the camera off or the GPS continues to drain the battery as the camera sits. Otherwise, I love the K3 II

01-21-2016, 08:23 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the tip. I haven't used the GPS but am glad to know it stays on, ready to send data to the processor. Good to know it's independent - I hadn't read that part of the manual yet.
01-21-2016, 08:24 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I do not think that this behaviour is normal. At least, mine does not behave this way. I tested it with the indicator lamp function in both options, and in both cases the GPS turned off when the camera was turned off.
Are you manually turning off the camera, or just allowing it to time out?

Addendum: What is the serial number of your camera? See below:

PENTAX K-3 II Digital SLR Camera 'Power-Off' Notice

DENVER, CO, July 9, 2015 – At Ricoh, we are dedicated to delivering superior technology, quality products and unyielding customer service. Continuing this commitment, we are contacting PENTAX K-3 II camera owners, as we’ve learned that in some situations the camera will not turn off, even after the power lever is moved to the OFF position. This anomaly is limited to cameras with a serial number below #6206660.

Customers with K-3 II camera serial numbers lower than #6206660* requiring support should call 1-800-234-0276 to have the camera inspected and serviced free of charge, even if the product appears to be functioning properly.

We greatly appreciate our customers’ patience as we are committed to making it a seamless process and providing the highest level of service and support.

*Excluded Serial Numbers:

K-3 II Products with the following serial numbers are not subject to this service:

6199671, 6187961-6188110, 6192376-6192380, 6192386-6192390, 6192436-6192440, 6196362- 6196369, 6196661-6196960, 6197748-6197750, 6197768-6197770

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/0341303450/ricoh-addresses-power-off-issue-...k-3-ii-cameras

Last edited by Quartermaster James; 01-21-2016 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Addendum
01-21-2016, 08:32 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastshooter Quote
I have discovered that on my K3 II the GPS remains on when the camera is shut off and the GPS will deplete the battery in a week with the camera sitting shut off. If you use the GPS, be sure to shut it off with the button on the side of the pentaprism housing and the little red light goes off before you shut the camera off or the GPS continues to drain the battery as the camera sits. Otherwise, I love the K3 II
Is your camera's serial number within the service advisory range? Early units suffered from issues ultimately caused by the GPS unit refusing to turn itself off. Normally, unless you have track logging enabled, the GPS shouldn't be using power when the camera is off.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-21-2016, 09:01 AM   #5

I have a K-3 II with similar batter depletion problem with GPS and serial number starts with 624 and well out of the range of service advisory.
01-21-2016, 12:43 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

So GPS logging remains active while the camera is off or in standby. Intrigomon.
01-21-2016, 05:52 PM   #7
npc
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Is your camera's serial number within the service advisory range? Early units suffered from issues ultimately caused by the GPS unit refusing to turn itself off. Normally, unless you have track logging enabled, the GPS shouldn't be using power when the camera is off.
Does this mean that the GPS button on the side (wich I assume is on/off toggle) only works if the camera itself is turned on ?

I don't have a K3 II but i have the ogps-1 unit and its on/off switch is totally independent from the camera on/off switch. I've always assumed that on K3 II it works the same way so that the GPS keeps tracking and coordinates are ready to be recorded the moment I turn the camera on to take a picture.
01-21-2016, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by npc Quote
Does this mean that the GPS button on the side (wich I assume is on/off toggle) only works if the camera itself is turned on ?

I don't have a K3 II but i have the ogps-1 unit and its on/off switch is totally independent from the camera on/off switch. I've always assumed that on K3 II it works the same way so that the GPS keeps tracking and coordinates are ready to be recorded the moment I turn the camera on to take a picture.
I'm not 100% sure on that but I believe logging is enabled via the camera's menu, so the button itself should only serve a purpose while the camera is on.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-22-2016, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe you have the "GPS logging" feature enabled. This feature creates a klm file of periodic gps locations so you can track a trip (hiking, driving, etc) on google maps, and is a switchable option in addition to just adding coordinates to an image file. The first option requires the gps to stay on even when the camera power is off -- and uses a small amount of power to record periodic locations. Just including the gps coordinates on an image, hower does not require the GPS to remain on and shouldn't deplete the battery when the camera is turned off.

Make sense?

Last edited by TroutHunterJohn; 01-22-2016 at 12:38 PM. Reason: tpyos
01-22-2016, 02:06 PM   #10

Original Poster
Tracking is turned off, but the serial number starts with 618 so it is in the early trouble range even though I just received the camera from Amazon. I called the Ricoh 800 service number and the representative told me there was no recall on early K3 II cameras and no known problems, but I could send the camera to them at my expense and they would look at it. Very unsatisfactory and does not give me much confidence in Ricoh. I will return it to Amazon in exchange for a later serial number camera.
01-23-2016, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I went through 4 (or was it 5?) bad cameras from Amazon sellers before I gave up and ordered from Canada - Prodigital2000. Amazon just kept recycling the returned early carmeras. Two that I received had clearly been used since the owners name was still in the copyright field and there were shutter counts of over 100 on one and 300 on the other. My understanding is that the cameras sold directly by Amazon were ok but the "shipped by Amazon" cameras were where the problem was. There is no excuse for the low number cameras to still be being shipped by any dealer. By the way all of the low number cameras I received worked fine but I did not want to take a chance on problems later. You may just want to get a refund and buy from a reliable dealer. I have no general problem with Amazon but in this case it is clearly a caveat emptor situation.