Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2016, 11:48 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Silly Film SLR Idea :D

I just had a silly idea for a film slr... Just wanted to put it out there

What if, instead of an optical viewfinder, the mirror reflected an image to a sensor up where the prism would usually be, which relayed that information to an EVF. This would allow a live-view of exactly what image you would capture, just like mirrorless cameras. But then when you take the image, the mirror goes up and the image is recorded on the film, so you get all the qualities and effects of film

hehe

I guess that would require the camera to be DSLR sized for a battery, and perhaps a bit taller...
Let me know how silly you think that idea is

01-22-2016, 11:49 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This is how silly:

I'm going to have to bookmark this, by the amount I use it
01-22-2016, 12:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Actually, I'd love to have a film SLR that worked like the Sony A-350. Live view on a tilting LCD, and film.
01-22-2016, 12:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I think one of the nicest things about film photography is the feeling that you got your image without needing to see it, plus the anticipation of waiting until one takes down the roll of negatives to put them away and have your first real look at the images.

That is just me.

01-22-2016, 02:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It would be very silly, indeed. An optical viewfinder shows you what is happening now. A digital viewfinder shows you what happened in the past. In some cases it may take a half a second to process and display the image. The lag time between the sensor in the display would make it unusable for anything but relatively still objects. Sports, wildlife, and kids moved too fast. Instead of taking the picture of what you see in the viewfinder, The scene would have moved, and you would have missed a shot. I've used cameras with digital viewfinders. And in my opinion they're not worth having. There will always be a lag time between when you push the button, and the actual exposure. But I don't need any extra lag time forced on me. Give me a good optical viewfinder. That way I have the best chance of getting the picture that I want, instead of trying to take a picture of something that has moved out of frame.
01-22-2016, 02:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
I just had a silly idea for a film slr... Just wanted to put it out there

What if, instead of an optical viewfinder, the mirror reflected an image to a sensor up where the prism would usually be, which relayed that information to an EVF. This would allow a live-view of exactly what image you would capture, just like mirrorless cameras. But then when you take the image, the mirror goes up and the image is recorded on the film, so you get all the qualities and effects of film
Sorry, but i agree that you just had a silly idea. How is the EVF any better than OVF if at the moment of exposure you still have a black finder? Greater battery drain and less durable than a film camera too.

The coolest hybrid that was manufactured was eFilm. It was shaped like a 35mm film cassette, with a tongue that extended to the film plane with a digital sensor. You put it into your FSLR but recorded digital images that you could download. Saw the ads, read the reviews, but never saw it at the stores or anyone that tried it. Needless to say, every camera company and every memory card company would want to see this patent denied.
Attached Images

Last edited by Alex645; 01-22-2016 at 02:44 PM.
01-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I actually had the idea that rather than seeing and hearing and feeling the world actually around me I could wear a Glas and have pertinent information overlayed on the digital projection.
01-22-2016, 02:41 PM   #8
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
The coolest hybrid that was manufactured was eFilm. It was shaped like a 35mm film cassette, with a tongue that extended to the film plane with a digital sensor. You put it into your FSLR but recorded digital images that you could download. Saw the ads, read the reviews, but never saw it at the stores or anyone that tried it. Needless to say, every camera company and every memory card company would want to see this patent denied.
Huh, that sounds neat!!

I'm curious, what is the lag time in a professional sony camera? Say the A7rii - I can't image that sony would allow a significant EVF lag time...

01-22-2016, 05:12 PM   #9

Sorry, but i agree that you just had a silly idea. How is the EVF any better than OVF if at the moment of exposure you still have a black finder? Greater battery drain and less durable than a film camera too.

I saw an actual eFilm device for sale in a Downtown Cleveland, OH camera store many years ago. But it was designed to fit either some Nikon and Canon 35 mm film camera models.
01-22-2016, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

Saw the ads, read the reviews, but never saw it at the stores or anyone that tried it. Needless to say, every camera company and every memory card company would want to see this patent denied.
I thought that e-film was essentially vaporware except for the prototype. The Silicon Film Web site is still up and it still promises product sometime in the year 2000...waiting, we are waiting...

SILICON FILM TECHNOLOGIES

There was a second attempt a few years ago by a company called DigiPod, but they failed to fledge as well. A full analysis is given in this Digital Resource article:

History doomed to repeat itself? Project promises digital cartridge for film SLRs

There are significant engineering challenges to the idea of a universal drop-in sensor/power module assuming that the issue of signalling can be overcome. The sensor needs to "know" the time window for a capture and ideally have a method to signal the user when it is finished. Various mechanisms have been proposed, but none would allow a universal drop-in cassette. (The most viable would be based on a replacement back and would use the databack contacts and/or motordrive contacts for signalling.

Edit:

http://petapixel.com/2013/08/16/convert-your-old-film-slr-into-a-digital-cam...h-the-digipod/ (more on DigiPod prototype)

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/digipod#/ (Failed IndieGoGo site)

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-22-2016 at 05:23 PM.
01-22-2016, 06:11 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
I think one of the nicest things about film photography is the feeling that you got your image without needing to see it, plus the anticipation of waiting until one takes down the roll of negatives to put them away and have your first real look at the images.

That is just me.
Yeah, that is just you.

My appeal with film is the look. It's different. DSLR converted to B&W doesn't have the same look as B&W film. This

is just something that looks perfect on film. (The color DSLR version is cool too, but this is where it's at!)