Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2016, 10:53 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The thing with buying in from abroad is import tax, which is high enough to bump me over budget.

01-23-2016, 01:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clockworkrat Quote
The thing with buying in from abroad is import tax, which is high enough to bump me over budget.

Yeah, I had wondered, not long after I posted. I guess there is no work around for that - gift from a friend, or anything?
01-23-2016, 01:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Yeah, I had wondered, not long after I posted. I guess there is no work around for that - gift from a friend, or anything?
There's a reduced charge for gifts, but the hassle would probably make it not worth the effort.
01-23-2016, 04:04 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The flipside of this can occur when local distributors either don't stock or stock at relatively exorbitant prices. Living as I do on a large island off the Atlantic coast of Canada, I found that even with import taxes and the exchange rate as it was then (worse now), the cost of a high-end flash and a bunch of limiteds from B&H was as cheap as or potentially cheaper than anything I could find on my own side of the border. And even at the price of a few dollars more, the ability to buy the whole lot online from ONE reputable seller with solid bricks and mortar presence, who had everything I wanted in time for St Nick's most recent visit, was worth the extra expense.

Some of us, of course, are not so lucky - I am no longer that lucky, after what the $CDN has recently done and might do more of - but there is always that worry about what will happen with duties, postage, etc. when all the buttons are clicked or when the final e-bay bid is made and the "purchase price" on which those duties are calculated is finalised.

It is why I am loath to bid outside my own borders, if I go down that route. At what price is the customs agent in an office in Toronto or Vancouver or wherever going to bring the hammer down and impose a duty on my bargain secondhand lens that wipes out all the savings I made with my painstaking auction-stalking of much-desired stuff? Even in the Marketplace here, for example, some lenses from American sellers are bargains - but only to other Americans, who don't get their wallets excessively dug into by customs and transport costs whenever something crosses that invisible line on the map.

02-01-2016, 03:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've pulled the trigger on a K-5 and slapped a SquareTrade warrantee on it. Ought to keep me going for the next couple of years.
02-01-2016, 04:47 PM   #21
Pentaxian

If your experience is anything like mine, you will not be disappointed. Nearly 12,000 shots down the road, I still have no interest in trading up for anything less than the full-frame.

{And then only if the K-5 dies or the FF offers something (not necessarily connected with the size of its sensor) that truly and markedly enhances my professional photographic experience.}
02-03-2016, 05:59 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Think things over. If you can find ways to stretch your budget, go for the k-3. New!

02-03-2016, 07:31 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Think things over.
Too late for that! Because...

I've pulled the trigger on a K-5 and slapped a SquareTrade warrantee on it.
02-03-2016, 10:21 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Think things over. If you can find ways to stretch your budget, go for the k-3. New!
That simply wasn't going to happen it turns out. I know people always like to talk about stretching the budget, but on a low, non-negotiable income it wasn't realistic.
02-03-2016, 02:35 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That simply wasn't going to happen it turns out. I know people always like to talk about stretching the budget, but on a low, non-negotiable income it wasn't realistic.
Always respect the budget! The K-5 is a great camera. I hope that you enjoy it.