Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Remote did not awaken K10D

Some/most may already know this, but I did not and after missing the first 5 minutes of the fireworks show last night, thought sharing this might save some grief for those who may find themselves in a similar predicament come Fri night's USA version...
There I was happily clicking away on my wired remote when it dawned on me I should be hearing some kind of click noises from the camera perched atop the tripod right behind me.

I had set it up in advance and while waiting for the show to begin, the camera (K10D) had gone to sleep. Clicking the wired remote did not wake it up. After I reached up and clicked the shutter button by hand, I took shots for another 15 min or so using only the remote and it never went back to sleep - but I was kinda bummed about missing all the shots before that.

Moral: Either deactivate the camera-goes-to-sleep feature before setting up for remote control shooting, or make sure and manually reawaken it as needed or you'll be disappointed, too!

Left the K20D at home in order to avoid getting steamed by the long exposure noise-reduction you still can't disable on it.

Positive note: DA 12-24 was wonderful for last night's vantage point. What I got looked pretty good when I reviewed them as I walked home.

--
dbh - trying to be helpful

07-02-2008, 10:23 AM   #2

Thanks for the tip, I really appreciate it. I'll probably run into the same thing Friday.
07-02-2008, 11:34 AM   #3
Forum Member

Remote Wake Up

I have a home made remote
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/29147-custom-ma...e-trigger.html
so i am not sure if this works for yours...but...on my remote if you press the shutter button the camera will not wake up although if you press the focus button even if in manual focus mode the camera will wake up saving you from this grief.
--JZ
07-02-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

FYI on the K10D the wireless is disabled after 5min of inactivity, regardless of whether you have auto-off disabled or not (See page 83 towards the bottom of the operating manual). To keep it active you just have to "waste" a shot if you're not clicking within 5 min of each other.

07-02-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
dbh
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jzamora Quote
I have a home made remote
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/29147-custom-ma...e-trigger.html
so i am not sure if this works for yours...but...on my remote if you press the shutter button the camera will not wake up although if you press the focus button even if in manual focus mode the camera will wake up saving you from this grief.
--JZ
My wired remote is home-made as well, but did not work that way for me last night i.e. the focus button did not wake it up either. I was in MF mode. Maybe that circuit is broken - I'll have to check it tonight.

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
FYI on the K10D the wireless is disabled after 5min of inactivity, regardless of whether you have auto-off disabled or not (See page 83 towards the bottom of the operating manual). To keep it active you just have to "waste" a shot if you're not clicking within 5 min of each other.
Huh. I did not know that either. Thanks. For fireworks I like the wired remote because of where I sit relative to my camera to enjoy the show and the solid feeling of control I (usually) get with it.

I should note that the K10D is very responsive, when it's awake, with this arrangement. I could release at the end of a burst and reopen the shutter instantly for the next one if I thought it was about to pop. I mostly watch for the ascent plume of the shell and open the shutter close to the bang to get the darkest possible background sky. Even at 11:00pm it's not really very dark up here.

I guess another lesson drummed home again, is thoroughly test my gear and how it works before heading into the field. Everytime.
--
dbh - whose old cable release always woke the camera
07-02-2008, 03:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
why not make a plug in, for the wired remote socket to keep the camera awake.

You do this by using a 2.5mm MONO plug (i.e. only one contact at the end and then the side contact)

The end tip, you leave disconnected as that is the shutter release, but with only one long side contact, that will activate and keep metering on.
07-02-2008, 06:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
Huh. I did not know that either. Thanks.
Yeppers. Wish I had read that part of the manual before I set up a "stealth shoot" to grab some captures of birds a month or so ago. Got everything all setup .. inside the house with remote in hand ready to rock ... birds come in to feed and bath and ... nuthin happened.
07-02-2008, 09:31 PM   #8
dbh
Inactive Account

Original Poster
JZ: Tried your tip tonight, left it in MF mode, waited for it to go to sleep, hit the shutter button - nothing, hit the focus button - it woke right up!
When I thought I tried the focus button last night, it must have been I who was dreaming.

Good thing to know - I should make a little label beside the focus button to the effect:
FOCUS/Wake-Up!

--
dbh

here's one from last night: