Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2016, 12:44 PM   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

The way I see it Nikon is the brand at risk of financial failure unless Sony takes them over.
Yep. But Sony's camera sales have slid ( https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-canon-nikon-sony-other-camera-brands/309152-sony-camera-sales-plunge-post3449334.html ) and the division has been separated from the profitable sensor unit. They may now lack the willpower and finances.

01-26-2016, 01:40 PM - 2 Likes   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yep. But Sony's camera sales have slid ( Sony camera sales plunge - PentaxForums.com ) and the division has been separated from the profitable sensor unit. They may now lack the willpower and finances.
Yes, but that is Sony and Sony makes those cool shiny full frame expensive hipster plate cameras that one can mount any lens to and manual focus it using horrible ergonomics. But MANUFACTURING EFFICIENCY!!! And Sony!!! SONY!! is a STAR not a DOG!!! Sony is a vaunted consumer electronics company. Trinitron. Walkman. PlayStation. Vaio. Rootkit. Oh. Wait.

Uhhhhmmmmmm . . . . SONY!!! Was at CES!!! What's a Theta?

Dividend dilution? WTH does that matter? . . . SONY!!!!*

*PentaxIsDoomed
01-26-2016, 02:13 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
Do those who can afford a £5000 lens really worry about its resale value?
Ah ah , that's a very good point and my answer is: if you can afford £5000 spending on lenses, that mean either you have money because you won the lottery, or that mean that you have money because you know how to spend it or save it. We are seldom having money by random, we become wealthy by thinking strategically and doing the right things.
01-26-2016, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #49
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Ah ah , that's a very good point and my answer is: if you can afford £5000 spending on lenses, that mean either you have money because you won the lottery, or that mean that you have money because you know how to spend it or save it. We are seldom having money by random, we become wealthy by thinking strategically and doing the right things.
Ah, I can see my mistake.

I'm treating photography as an enjoyable and challenging hobby, worthwhile unto itself, instead of as a fiscally responsible pursuit.

01-26-2016, 02:30 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Is that really your argument - you won't marry the girl because you can't afford the divorce? I haven't seen you post any pictures or take part in any challenges - it seems you don't actually enjoy shooting Pentax or photography itself. I feel sorry for you if you now think you've made a mistake, and wring your hands about the implications of joining the Nikon crowd or getting out of our great hobby altogether.
I don't feel sorry for you , if we do not have the same desires, that's respectable. I was expressing my point of view, considering some wishes regarding what I'd like to buy. Staying on track with photography, if you wish to use your existing FF lenses with minimum spending, I guess it's ok for you, and that's what I earlier wrote:
Of course, there are lots of Pentaxians who own lots of old stuff, for them there's not risk, if Pentax would run out of business, you could still resell the same stuff at collection price. I'm comfortable even buying one more k mount apsc lens for $500, I consider it to be value zero after I use it for 2 or 3 years
So, again , if you already have a Tamron 70-200 , you can use it on a Pentax FF, you only have to spend for the camera body, that's way cheaper than stitching to another brand.
Now, my goal if different, I want to invert in good long glass, and in that case, I can't do it with Pentax, it just does not cut it, first for the perf. of what's available in Pentax, and second because I don't want to be swamped very deep in the k mount, which would be the case if I'd get into long lenses. I mean , as long as it is apsc , the spending is not a big deal to me, but going ff and long lenses is a substantial amount of spending, I can seem to be willing to do it with Pentax for the reasons I explained.

---------- Post added 26-01-16 at 22:43 ----------

Ah, I can see my mistake.
You bought a Sony A7. I did not do so. So why are you reacting like if you were attacked? I've simply been patient for the last three years, waiting to see how Pentax would evolve, and now I know...
01-26-2016, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think everyone understands if you want a high-frame-rate body and extreme telephoto for sports or tracking wildlife you shoot Canon (or Nikon). No one that I know would argue with you. If you need full professional on-demand support and repair you shoot Canon or Nikon. No one would argue with you. If you really need a catalog of 200 lenses, well, no one would argue with you.

But that doesn't make Pentax bad, or suitable for scorn, nor does it by definition mean Ricoh will abandon Pentax tomorrow or the next day.

Pentax doesn't meet your needs. You should get something else.

Pentax meets my needs, at my price and I'm happy with it. And I'm getting a bit frosty with the inference that I'm too stupid to know better.
01-26-2016, 03:12 PM   #52
Pentaxian

What size "Pentax is Doomed" t-shirt will you wear, BE? I'll buy it for you.
Actually, I think a PiD T-shirt would be pretty cool, and especially if you buy it! ;-)

01-26-2016, 03:33 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now, my goal if different, I want to invert in good long glass, and in that case, I can't do it with Pentax, it just does not cut it, first for the perf. of what's available in Pentax, and second because I don't want to be swamped very deep in the k mount, which would be the case if I'd get into long lenses. I mean , as long as it is apsc , the spending is not a big deal to me, but going ff and long lenses is a substantial amount of spending, I can seem to be willing to do it with Pentax for the reasons I explained.
So, it seems you have already decided? Am I understanding correctly?
QuoteQuote:
"Pentax just does not cut it"
?

I don't mind. Please enjoy life in the way that suits you best.

It's like I tell my vegetarian/vegan/paleo/juicing friends: "Eat whatever you want. Enjoy it! Eating is highly personal and each person deserves to enjoy their food, one of the most basic human needs. But, please, do not preach about your food religion to me. I too have highly personal tastes and deserve to enjoy my food."

So, ... , ... , Am I confused? Are you done with Pentax? Or are you telling us all the reasons you're really going to buy Pentax, but you're just worried about it? Maybe the money at risk? $$$

I wonder if there is some cultural / second language situation interfering with my understanding, because every time I think I know what you are saying, it seems the opposite comes up again.

Is PF basically just a gripe platform for you? Or is there some useful information you'd like to share and glean from the forums? My current interpretation of what I read is that you hate Pentax and want to continue dragging it through the mud by whatever means necessary. Is there another interpretation I should be perceiving?
01-26-2016, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #54
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Actually, I think a PiD T-shirt would be pretty cool, and especially if you buy it! ;-)
There's a couple of posters I'd happily buy one for if they'd only leave, but you're not on the list, JC. 😀
01-26-2016, 03:53 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The way I see it Nikon is the brand at risk of financial failure unless Sony takes them over.
Wouldn't a company from the Mitsubishi group be more likely to take them over?
01-26-2016, 04:13 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Wouldn't a company from the Mitsubishi group be more likely to take them over?
No.

Because . . . SONY!!!
01-26-2016, 04:14 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

no.

Because . . . SONY!!!
I liked the rumor that had Nikon buying the Samsung camera division...

They should all be peeing their pants about the iPhone 7...after all, Apple has 800 engineers working on just the camera module. "DSLR quality" lens etc, etc, etc...
01-26-2016, 04:18 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I liked the rumor that had Nikon buying the Samsung camera division...

They should all be peeing their pants about the iPhone 7...after all, Apple has 800 engineers working on just the camera module. "DSLR quality" lens etc, etc, etc...
I thought I read somewhere Hoya makes that lens group.
01-26-2016, 04:28 PM   #59
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought I read somewhere Hoya makes that lens group.

Could be. They've got Zeiss labelling, IIRC, but they'll put their name on other people's products for a price.
01-26-2016, 04:48 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Could be. They've got Zeiss labelling, IIRC, but they'll put their name on other people's products for a price.
Or maybe a Zeiss design manufactured by Hoya. I mean, can Zeiss make 300,000,000 lens groups for iPhone 7? Can even Hoya do it? These are phenomenally large numbers.