Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2016, 11:49 PM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
So my question to those that own and use non-black bodied DSLRs:
a) What color is your DSLR?
b) Why did you pick that color?
c) Are you happy with it in the long run or do you have regrets and why?
d) Any interesting anecdotes regarding the color of your camera and others?
e) If you own an automobile, what color is it?
Funny set of questions!

I have a "Midnight Blue" (that's what Mazda calls it) Mazda3. I bought the blue K30 to match that shade almost exactly! The good thing is the K30 is so much easier to keep smudge free. That blue Mazda, on the other hand is a pain in the arse to keep, especially for someone afflicted with OCD .

All my other cameras are black, and they're boring. My FA31 is silver, just because it pairs nicely with the blue K30.

I have three other cars, two in plain silver, the other one my wife calls "casket gold" although Honda calls it "Satellite Silver". The silver cars are so easy to maintain and clean. I clean, wax and detail all cars personally.

Oh yeah, my GR came in Olive Green. I love it!

01-26-2016, 08:53 AM   #32
Forum Member

I first ordered my K-S2 in black. While it was enroute, I got buyer's remorse and decided that I wanted the weather resistant kit lens and a body in color. So I ordered it in gray with olive drab green. Manly , muted, says I don't follow the crowd yet I ain't weird. I actually liked another one better, "Safari," or something, but it was out of stock and the gray was close enough.

I remember well the premiums charged for black bodies, and the implications of being professional. I noticed that Nikon's D? retro digicam is in silver, just like the old days. Frankly, I'd love to have one of those just to.................well, have one of those! Too cool.
02-11-2016, 06:06 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you to everyone that shared your preferences in camera (and car) color bodies. It's nice we live in a world where there are some choices that have nothing to do with function but everything to do with aesthetics, personality, identity, etc.
02-12-2016, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Some cameras look better in black and some do not. The Fuji line is one that I think kooks cheaper in all black as does the K01. When we bought our Spotmatic Fs they were 5 bucks more for black and were worth that. I think the Hasselblad looks classier with the chrome trim rather than black trim whereas some cameras look cheap and junkie with chrome or silver trim and of course some of that is just what one is used to. With the bodies made of plastic one has lots more choice, I still like black the best but dark blue also looks great. Pink or lime green I would tire of after 1/500 of a second.

02-13-2016, 01:12 AM   #35
Forum Member

All my current camera bodies are black, but I prefer the old silver film bodies.

Most beautiful Pentax body IMHO was the Super Program w/ME winder.

Wish I'd kept it, just for the heck of it!
02-13-2016, 01:28 AM   #36
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 - silver
K-S2 - black
K-S1 - moon silver

I chose silver because it looks a bit retro-cool, and makes my cameras stand out from the crowd. I didn't have a choice with the K-S2

Absolutely happy. No regrets at all. My FA*24, HD35, FA43 and FA77 are silver and they rock on the silver bodies. The black lenses look great too.

I have had colleagues in the pit ask if I was shooting film. I'm OK with that.

WRC blue currently. Previously Crystal Grey, and Pearl White before that.
02-14-2016, 02:37 AM   #37
Pentaxian

I have a black K-7 because you can have K-7s in any colour, as long as they're black. I also have a silver K-01 and a black Q10 and my main regret is not getting a jazzier colour scheme on the Q, because I was in a rush to get it before flying to Japan and couldn't wait for special order. I fancied baby blue and pink.
I drive a black VW Golf and black is generally my preferred car colour (my previous car was also a black VW Golf).

For what it's worth, I like my old metal-bodied film cameras to be chrome. Chrome is classic. Except for that nasty 90s champagne silver (looking at you, MZ-5).
02-14-2016, 05:32 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
a) White K-x, then a red K-30.
b) Not sure why I picked my white K-x originally. It just felt different. My partner picked out the red K-30 for me.
c) No regrets. I wish there were more colour options for the K3-ii and KS-2, but I'm really waiting for a hybrid of the two.
d) People are inclined to comment on the street or the trail or the classroom. I like it.
e) I used to own a red Nissan 240sx.

02-14-2016, 06:33 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobore Quote
You have a point about the SUPERPROGRAM. I like my silver one also. I wrote earlier that most of my cameras - film and digital - are black, even where I could have chosen another color. The exception is the SV, which (to me - not challenging you) is the most beautiful camera ever made (not just Pentax). There's something especially elegant about the curve of the film advance lever.
02-14-2016, 10:08 AM   #40
Pentaxian

For my part I liked the looks of the Canon AE-1. Also the Minolta XG-1, Pentax MX and Olympus OM-1 are nice too. There was a style in that period with the small body and when you put a 50/1.4 or even better a 50/1.2 on the front, made a great looking camera IMO. I liked the silver cameras also from that era. Here is my OM-1 with a 50/1.4:

02-21-2016, 01:48 PM   #41
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobore Quote
All my current camera bodies are black, but I prefer the old silver film bodies.
Wish I'd kept it, just for the heck of it!
Just to correct myself & be more accurate:

The Super Program used the ME-II (ME-2) winder.

What a wonderful combo!
02-21-2016, 10:01 PM - 2 Likes   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
So my question to those that own and use non-black bodied DSLRs:
a) I like silver b) since it reminds me of my first 35mm (ME Super) when I was a teen, unless it's a collectible (well sort of)
c) Yes! Stands up well
d) Most most cherished collectibles are black, ironically.
e) Silver....blue, have had orange, blue, silver, charcoal, red, silver, blue, blue, blue, tropic green, silver, blue, silver, blue and silver. Hmmm....I have not owned a blue camera.

Last edited by SteveM; 02-21-2016 at 10:10 PM. Reason: updated from OP questions
02-21-2016, 11:04 PM   #43
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The black touches on the Df pentaprism is nice. Love the photos.

Wow, I think you've owned more cars than I have!
For cars I've had: xbox green (on a '67 Mustang fastback), silver, pewter (more like a coffee metallic), royal blue, powder blue, silver mist green, two-tone blue/beige, about 4 metallic royal blue in a row, then silver. My favorite was the green, but it's hard to find.
02-21-2016, 11:12 PM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

All my cameras have been black. I'd love a silver edition-ish theme, but as a wedding photographer, I'm careful not to stand too much out.

My K-x shelf model (no mechanics and electronics in it) is metallic brown, so I'm not all that boring
02-22-2016, 02:01 PM   #45

Am I the only one who only thinks of cameras in the "what can I do with it?" profile and not the "how pretty is it?"

If its got the optical properties I want and need make it purple and pink, I'll take two.