Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2016, 02:28 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
Am I the only one who only thinks of cameras in the "what can I do with it?" profile and not the "how pretty is it?".
No, you're definitely not the only one. But ever since Giorgetto Giugiaro put a Ferrari red stripe on a Nikon F3, I've thought why shouldn't cameras have not just good ergonomics, but an aesthetic that goes beyond pure function. I prefer the subtle touches, but needless to say, it's secondary to function. And with that said, I think many of us would not shoot with a perfectly good camera if it was really ugly (as in attention getting in all the wrong ways and not just scratched, dinged, and dented). Maybe my ego is just too big to handle a camera that distracts my focus on what's beyond the viewfinder.

And now I remember a student that had a Leica R8 in like-new condition. She was so afraid of scratching it that she never took it out to shoot. What's the point?

02-22-2016, 04:09 PM   #47

^ Well, maybe she'll get a good resale price one day. No way if knowing if that can make up for lost photo opportunities though.

If a camera I want is available in a more interesting colour, I definitely prefer the colour. Its easier to find, easier to identify as mine (for family/friends) and seeing it makes me smile a bit more. I am unashamedly fond of colour. I regularly wish it was easier to add colour or choose colours for gadgets - phones and tablets have cases, etc. but much harder to do something like decals on a camera.

That said... Colour does not substitute for the technical aspects. I wont buy a unsuitable anything just to get a purple one. (although, I did special order a purple-flower decal for my Nexus. )
02-22-2016, 04:38 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5II - Black (No reason)
K-50 - White (Wanted to be different)
K-30 - Black (No reason)
K-01 - White/Black - (K-50 was getting lonely)

Should have bought a K-3 and not wasted my money on all the other camera bodies!

My 2009 Ford Taurus SEL is Tuxedo Black
02-22-2016, 05:22 PM   #49

White K-50 and i get compliments all the time.

02-22-2016, 05:58 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
So my question to those that own and use non-black bodied DSLRs:
a) What color is your DSLR?
b) Why did you pick that color?
c) Are you happy with it in the long run or do you have regrets and why?
d) Any interesting anecdotes regarding the color of your camera and others?
e) If you own an automobile, what color is it?
a) Orange w/ blue grips (as in avatar)
b) Compromise between me and my mum (we paid 50-50). I don't remember which colour I wanted though. Was also also liking sand + brown grips and dark green + brown grips, but my mum didn't.
c) Yes, I absolutely love how it is and wouldn't change it. People keep asking if it's an underwater camera though and think it's a toy camera, but then are surprised by the image quality. You also get some very odd looks from strangers in the street sometimes, especially when couples with a chrome or a large lens...
d) see c)
e) Also shared with my mum and it's a red Volvo S40. Though I myself also would never ever buy a black/white/silver/dark blue (well, except dark blue chrome..) car.

In a way it's a bit of a shame the K-1 is black only but I totally understand it and don't mind. I'll be keeping the k-50 anyways, and something stealthier also has it's merits, I'm sure.

Colours though are pretty important in my family and I can't remember a house or flat with more than one wall/room white!
02-23-2016, 08:52 AM - 2 Likes   #51
Veteran Member

I am amused that silver is considered the upscale now. In the 60's and 70's most the entry level SLRs were "chrome" bodies and if you wanted the pro model, you paid extra for all black.
100+ years ago everyone had horses, and only the rich owned automobiles.
Nowadays everyone has automobiles and only the rich own horses...
02-23-2016, 12:49 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Ugly cameras have one advantage over pretty ones. Theft protection.

02-23-2016, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
In the late 80's, I had all my 4 Minolta FSLRs and 6 lenses stolen, but the thief left my weird looking Pentax 645 and 3 lenses. That's a fact Jack!
02-23-2016, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I subscribe to that.

---------- Post added 02-23-16 at 04:12 PM ----------

Except just not pink
02-23-2016, 04:54 PM   #55
Veteran Member

In the late 80's, I had all my 4 Minolta FSLRs and 6 lenses stolen, but the thief left my weird looking Pentax 645 and 3 lenses. That's a fact Jack!
Who said crooks are smart!
03-02-2016, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
In the past, things used to be made of metal and had to be painted black. Now, more things than not are made of plastic. Silver makes it look like its made of metal.

But I prefer sleek and black. But I'd be totally in on a gunmetal body, like the K3 prestige edition. That looked awesome!
I agree that in the K3 PE model Pentax got the LOOKS right but what i don't like with the silver bodies is that that look like metal BUT feel like plastic! This in-congruence really ruins the effect for me so might as well go with black.

---------- Post added 03-02-16 at 10:57 AM ----------

No, you're definitely not the only one. But ever since Giorgetto Giugiaro put a Ferrari red stripe on a Nikon F3, I've thought why shouldn't cameras have not just good ergonomics, but an aesthetic that goes beyond pure function. I prefer the subtle touches, but needless to say, it's secondary to function. And with that said, I think many of us would not shoot with a perfectly good camera if it was really ugly (as in attention getting in all the wrong ways and not just scratched, dinged, and dented). Maybe my ego is just too big to handle a camera that distracts my focus on what's beyond the viewfinder.

And now I remember a student that had a Leica R8 in like-new condition. She was so afraid of scratching it that she never took it out to shoot. What's the point?
Of course function is primary BUT the feel and look of a camera is also part of the experience of appreciating it.

Just holding, for example, the Nikon film camera, the F100, in your hands you can feel and see the quality and that is a thing of beauty in its own right.

While beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, beauty is still a target worth aiming for.