Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2016, 12:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What & why silver or THAT color?

I am amused that silver is considered the upscale now. In the 60's and 70's most the entry level SLRs were "chrome" bodies and if you wanted the pro model, you paid extra for all black. I'm not sure if that extra coin was due to marketing or actual production costs...but it all went out the window with plastic (or shall I say polycarbonate) bodies that probably looked horribly cheap in any color other than black.

Someone at Pentax really stuck out their neck when they proposed and was approved to going with their multicolored options. In the threads about "why Pentax?", I didn't notice anyone saying it was because it was the only DSLR in pink. Don't get me wrong, I love the Pink Panther, Pink Floyd, and Nick Drake's Pink Moon.

So my question to those that own and use non-black bodied DSLRs:
a) What color is your DSLR?
b) Why did you pick that color?
c) Are you happy with it in the long run or do you have regrets and why?
d) Any interesting anecdotes regarding the color of your camera and others?
e) If you own an automobile, what color is it?

01-24-2016, 12:53 PM - 2 Likes   #2

Orange with brown grip.
I like the colors and it's hard to misplace.
It's a happy camera, i don't think i could be upset with it.
I am tired of the colour options that seem to rule the world: silver, grey, black, white, beige. Cars, appliances, houses, electronics... we have millions of colors to choose from but...
I have two vehicles: orange and cream VW micro bus and a green with pink accent Ford Festiva.
01-24-2016, 12:55 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Speaking as one who in the dim distant past once did a short course in survey design, you may as well ask the buyers of black-bodied pre-plastics SLRs what motivated their choices. I know I've seen a few posts around seeking black versions of various Pentax cameras. The only black-body film SLR I have is a Ricoh XR-1, and that's because (a) it was part of a grab bag and (b) I don't actually know if that particular camera was even made in silver.
01-24-2016, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In the past, things used to be made of metal and had to be painted black. Now, more things than not are made of plastic. Silver makes it look like its made of metal.

But I prefer sleek and black. But I'd be totally in on a gunmetal body, like the K3 prestige edition. That looked awesome!

01-24-2016, 12:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I started with a Rex K-x. I got it because it was cheap and different.
I was asked a few times if I had painted it myself.
If they had K5s or K3s with weird colors for the same price I would get one. Why not?
01-24-2016, 12:57 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

* I'll just point out using color for camera bodies was intended to encourage younger buyers to own a second camera - or to encourage new buyers who hadn't yet been ossified into the 'black is pro' falsity to choose Pentax in the first place - all with the intention to increase the installed base of K-mounts in the market.

If you think about it, the only thing that's REALLY Pentax is the K-mount. Everything else is either directly available to everyone else or has been / can be emulated by everyone else. Ricoh doesn't really care what's wrapped around the K-mount, or what's behind the K-mount, or to a lesser extent what's in front of the K-mount. What they care about is the the number of K-mounts in use in the general population. If a colored camera body makes a household buy another K-mount - or a first K-mount - well, then good for Pentax.

* I have 12 K-mount and 5 M42 mount Pentax film cameras. Most of my K-mount film cameras are black. Four of my M42 film cameras are black (I've never seen a black SV). I like black film cameras. If I could afford a Titanium LX, though, I would get one.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-24-2016 at 03:06 PM.
01-24-2016, 12:57 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Black *istDS (sold)
Black K100d
Black K100d Super
Black K-50 (sold)
Black K-3

Film:
Black Yashica Electro 35cc (sold)
Chrome Nikkormat FT3
Black F2a (Lost)

All lenses I own are black other than the FA 31 & FA* 300 which I bought from a friend. Oh And the Sigma AF 400 which is gray that I have to my dad.

Mirrorless:
Chrome Panasonic GX7
Black Panasonic LX7
01-24-2016, 01:15 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Speaking as one who in the dim distant past once did a short course in survey design, you may as well ask the buyers of black-bodied pre-plastics SLRs what motivated their choices. I know I've seen a few posts around seeking black versions of various Pentax cameras. The only black-body film SLR I have is a Ricoh XR-1, and that's because (a) it was part of a grab bag and (b) I don't actually know if that particular camera was even made in silver.
The black camera question is very different to me because I think the reasons are fewer such as 'it was the only color available' or 'it looks more professional', etc. When the Nikonos was available in green or orange, it was fairly straight-forward that divers would go with orange and those wanting camo in the rain forest or jungle would go green.

My OP is not about why did Pentax do it; it's about why did you NOT buy black but went with a particular color or color combination.

I drive a silver car because it hides the dirt well and I don't like having a dirty looking car, but I don't want to wash it all the time. Also, the color I really wanted wasn't available. As a pro, I bought black cameras because back in the day, amateurs and hobbyists had the less expensive 'chrome' finish and black was less likely to reflect back light or color (I always wore black when working) and you do everything possible to 'fit in' the perception of others.

Now that I'm older, if someone gave me a pink 645Z, it would put a big smile on my face (and probably others).

01-24-2016, 01:22 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
a) What color is your DSLR? b) Why did you pick that color? c) Are you happy with it in the long run or do you have regrets and why? d) Any interesting anecdotes regarding the color of your camera and others? e) If you own an automobile, what color is it?
a) the colourful one is not a DSLR - its the yellow Pentax K-01.
b) camera was on sale, looked great, sensor is better than my previous black DSLR. The yellow K-01 looked really cool in real life, the marketing photos did not do it justice
c) Yes! Happier than I thought I would be when I got it. Its my primary camera now. Small, compact, looks cool. Yellow got slightly dirty, but can be cleaned fairly well. Does not look faded or hardened or anything
d) Eh, only that people with shitty black Nikon DSLRs of the lowest tier always sneer at me. I assume its because they have the little D5000 or D3000 (or whatever their modern equivalent is) and think that if only they had a better camera their photos would suck less. So they see me with a weird brand (Pentax??) and a weird colour (yellow??) and its not even a DSLR. But I think my photos speak for themselves, as good or as bad as that is
e) Black, then green, then white.. car colour was rather accidental, as these were all second hand deals. But I do own a yellow phone and some other yellow accessories. I think the K-01 started this trend

The
In the threads about "why Pentax?", I didn't notice anyone saying it was because it was the only DSLR in pink.
Some people said that about their white stormtrooper panda Pentaxes back in the day. But I think the main reason you don't find much about this is because most colours are only available in Japan. They had so many K-r, K-S1 options, with matching DA 35mm and so on. Various colours, gloss or silk/matt, special editions, etc. In Europe, Australia, and America we don't have these options, aside from the rare blue or olive green making an appearance once in a while. Its really too bad, I think this is a market Pentax should explore, especially since a lot of young, trendy people, a lot of women, are entering the whole photography hobby/business. Photography is no longer only for grizzled old men who drive a black ford and use a black camera and only have two pairs of jeans at home.
01-24-2016, 01:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Photography is no longer only for grizzled old men who drive a black ford and use a black camera and only have two pairs of jeans at home.
LOL. Now there's another thread waiting to be born. And BTW, my two pairs of jeans are black too.
01-24-2016, 01:53 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I bought a pink k-x (the metallic pastel pink one, not the garish pink one) for my then girlfriend. She shot exclusively with a KM + 28/55/135 K lenses, and was adamant that digital was not for her.

The pinktax was a non threatening introuduction to digital cameras, let her use her existing lenses, and she loved it!

She now shoots with a K-3, a couple of DA & FA limiteds, and bought a 6x7 (so that she still had a film camera that was better than digital).

Myself, I owned a white k-x. It was great, but I'd rather go for black. Any bright coloured camera stands out, so it's quite difficult to take candid snapshots.

I don't see the point of the silver k-5/k-3 myself, but I'm not against them. The brightly coloured k-30/k-50 type cameras I think are non-threatening, and so for some people make the intro to digital photography something that is fun rather than terrifying.

So yeah, I like the fact Pentax offer colour options. I'd say that maybe some lines where they've had 500 possible combinations are overkill. The k-s2 combos are spot on. The old k-x customisation were possibly too much.
01-24-2016, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

LOL. Now there's another thread waiting to be born. And BTW, my two pairs of jeans are black too.
lol I am definitely not fashionista! And photography is still for grizzled old men, but its not as exclusive as it was is what I meant to say

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is that the yellow K-01 really looks less threatening than a black DSLR. You don't have to pay photographer fee at parks, concerts, people don't get scared thinking you are a spy or paparazzo or something. Its slightly friendlier, but you still get all the internals of a great camera. Wolf is sheep skin
01-24-2016, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Now that I'm older, if someone gave me a pink 645Z, it would put a big smile on my face (and probably others).
Haha! I'd totally buy that!

To follow on from my previous post, my ex did say that the thing she missed most about the pinktax (v.s the k3) was how unthreatening it was.

If she took photos of shy people, they'd happily pose for a camera that was pink, but the same people would hate the k-3 'because it looks serious'.

On the flip side, catching people unawares with the pinktax was hard. With the k-3 it's much easier.

There are pros and cons to both really
01-24-2016, 02:21 PM   #14
Forum Member

a] Silver
b] because I hate all the electronics black keyboards,mice,monitors,cables,cases and because I can leave it in direct sun much longer than black bodies without fear of melting plastics.
c] not yet, but sometimes I think I may attract people thinking "YOU cant attract me with your stylish silver cam"
d] no
e] If expression not matching
01-24-2016, 02:45 PM   #15
Pentaxian

You may not get the french words, but there clearly brands that play the fashion card: E?PL7 - Appareils Photo Hybrides - Olympus PEN - Olympus

Ironically I didn't get that on the US website... ?

Last edited by Nicolas06; 01-31-2017 at 02:03 PM.