Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2016, 07:20 PM   #1

K3's AF vs K50's AF

I have seen mentioned many times that the autofocus in K3 is much better than the K50's. In what sense is this? I have a K50 and want to upgrade to a K3: what will I notice immediately after switching in regards to autofocus?

Thanks

01-24-2016, 07:29 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shot with the K-50 for a year before upgrading to a K-3; there is a noticeable difference..

the K-3's autofocus is quicker, especially in lowlight, and seems to be more reliable than the K-50's...
01-24-2016, 07:29 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Moropo Quote
I have seen mentioned many times that the autofocus in K3 is much better than the K50's. In what sense is this? I have a K50 and want to upgrade to a K3: what will I notice immediately after switching in regards to autofocus?

Thanks
The newer AF module is faster and much more accurate in low light. Also, the K-3 has a more powerful screwdrive motor, so screwdrive lenses may focus more quickly, especially in live view.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-24-2016, 09:00 PM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
What the others have said -- night and day difference for me when I had both of those cameras.

01-25-2016, 01:45 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
Hmmm.. weird
(please do not take this 100% into account, but), my K-3 arrived 2 days ago. I upgraded from a K-r that i still have. Very pleased with K-3 overall but

though i didn't do measured tests, one of the first things i checked was the AF system (Phase detection), compared to the old K-r (with the 50mm 1.8 and 18-55 kit lens) was the same to me, in terms of speed.
Indeed Contrast detection through Live view is very fast but i don't use Live view at all.

I repeat, in terms of speed, not accuracy and it was subjective real-world use assessment, not something scientifically measured, that's why i said at first take this testimony with a grain of salt.

Maybe this is related to the lens used, i don't know. I asked myself, what was i expecting, AF times to be cut in half?.. Hmm, maybe, or maybe K-r is not so bad in terms of Pentax AF speed

This was with camera firmware at 1.11, right out of the box. I have updated to 1.21 meantime but i don't think that had anything to do with it.

For me the low-light autofocus is fast but in this case in particular i was hoping to see a bigger difference compared to K-r. Ah (this is important), "low light" meant a 16 sq m room lit by two 12W led light, not really candlelight, true.
01-25-2016, 05:12 AM   #6
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I think better focus accuracy is more noticeable than speed with a lens like the DA50/1.8. Try a lens with a long focus throw, something like the DFA100 Macro, and you will definitely notice a speed difference, both due to the stronger AF motor and the more "confident" focusing (that is, less small adjustments back and forth about before focus locks). Even more so in low light.

Another thing is that the K-3 has smaller focus points than its predecessors. It's much easier to get it to focus on the exact spot you want. The K-5 could be really frustrating when trying to focus on e.g. a bird in between branches. I'm not saying the K-3 never struggles, but it is much better at this.