Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2016, 01:04 PM   #1

Should I drop zero from my backup camera?

I have K100D as backup camera. There is K10D available dirt cheap. What do I win and what do I lose?

I get my non screw lenses working, WR and megapixels and ISO 100

I lose ISO 3200, and I need to search BG-2 and get into an another Li-battery format.

Are there any other big pros and cons?

01-26-2016, 01:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Pentax K100D vs K10D - Our Analysis
01-26-2016, 01:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Murphy's Law: If anything can go wrong, it will. From my experience ANY back up camera is better than NO back up camera. Yes, it's not as good as your primary, but that's why it's the back up and not the primary. And there is probably a corollary to Murphy's Law that if you have a back up for redundancy, you'll never need it. If you don't, you'll regret it. Happens to me ALL THE TIME. If the price is right, and you can't afford a better upgrade, then yes, "drop zero".
01-26-2016, 02:08 PM   #4
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anything against the K-50, or is that out of your budget range?

01-26-2016, 02:34 PM - 2 Likes   #5

Original Poster
It isn't that I NEED upgrade, I just need backup camera so that my K-3 knows to to be replaceable and behaves. It is my plan to use K-3 to 2019 or 150 000 shutter. Then I'll upgrade that and K-3 goes to backup body.

It is the price tag of K10 which is lower than the price tag of SD card I'm going to put inside it. However as I already mentioned, new batteries, battery grip and maybe new bag to make it working set is needed. I think, I'll stick with original plan and upgrade my backup if it brakes or something better comes with right price tag.
01-26-2016, 05:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anemone Quote
It isn't that I NEED upgrade, I just need backup camera so that my K-3 knows to to be replaceable and behaves. It is my plan to use K-3 to 2019 or 150 000 shutter. Then I'll upgrade that and K-3 goes to backup body.

It is the price tag of K10 which is lower than the price tag of SD card I'm going to put inside it. However as I already mentioned, new batteries, battery grip and maybe new bag to make it working set is needed. I think, I'll stick with original plan and upgrade my backup if it brakes or something better comes with right price tag.
If it's that cheap just keep the K100D too and you have two backups.
01-29-2016, 06:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

How cheap is cheap enough ?

I recently got a K-30 from the seller of the one below. It was a $199 best offer that got instantly accepted.
Pentax K 30 16 3MP Digital SLR Camera Body Blue 387 027075218109 | eBay
The camera I got looked as good as new except for the missing box.

I see that there are a few K10D on ebay starting in the $90 - $150 buy it now range, but from abroad.
IMO, it is very much worth spending the little extra on the K-30 :

FYI :
Pentax K-30 vs K10D - Our Analysis

In particular, K-30 will have much less noise, and is a high ISO camera. That is much better than a K10D, IMO, the biggest reason to get it.
K-30 also shoots movies, has live view, a much better LCD, more dynamic range, better color depth, 100% viewfinder, shoots twice as many fps, and is lighter.

The K-30 will also take SDXC cards, which the K10D cannot. If you are thinking of putting an expensive SD card into the K10D, be careful. If it's an SDXC card - ie. >32GB, then it won't work in the K10D.

My favorite K-30 feature, not listed on snapsort : K-30 can take AA batteries such as eneloops through an optional adapter (a few $ on ebay from China).
If you don't want another Li-On battery, this may actually be the way to go for you. AA batteries can be reused in other devices, and you may already have a few eneloops maybe ? I would not recommend using AA alkaline batteries as you will only get about 300 shots out of them, not too mention non-rechargeable are bad for environment.

The only thing I would say the K10D has an actual edge, is that it can take an optional vertical battery grip, and the K-30 cannot. But this is unlikely to matter for your backup body.

Last edited by madbrain; 01-29-2016 at 06:52 PM.
01-30-2016, 02:27 AM   #8

Original Poster
The price I saw K10 was 50 euros with 18-50 kit lens So any good SD card would be that price. I already came to conclusion about upgrading K10 would give the other expenses in form of batteries and grip. Also I have some doubts for ten year old electronics. It is like the free Macbook I got from a friend. I have spent something like 300 euros to just make it usable.

K30 and K50 look good candidates for big backup upgrade. They have one feature which I like. They are available in pink. Nobody takes guy (with Hello kitty T-shirt) with pink camera seriously, until sees the pictures. K30 seems to be available with 270 euros in walking distance. (Not pink.)

And my K-100 keeps working so there isn't that kind of real need. Rather big temptation however.

01-31-2016, 07:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anemone Quote
The price I saw K10 was 50 euros with 18-50 kit lens So any good SD card would be that price.
$33 buys you a new brand-name 128GB SDXC card on Amazon, but that won't fit in the K10D.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-128GB-Memory-SFG1UY2-TQ/dp/B00X140AWU/ref=sr_1_2?...%3A13203834011

You would be hard pressed to spend as much as $50 on 32GB SDHC, which is the largest card type that will work in the K10D.
Most such cards will be under $20, even brand name. For example.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Memory-Frustration-Free-Packaging-SDSDUNC-032G...ords=32GB+sdxc

QuoteQuote:
K30 and K50 look good candidates for big backup upgrade. They have one feature which I like. They are available in pink. Nobody takes guy (with Hello kitty T-shirt) with pink camera seriously, until sees the pictures. K30 seems to be available with 270 euros in walking distance. (Not pink.)

And my K-100 keeps working so there isn't that kind of real need. Rather big temptation however.
Yes, the pink color on those bodies is a hoot Costs more though, so I didn't go for it.

If you have the K100D currently, that camera takes AAs. So you must have some suitable AA batteries. Are you using eneloops already?
That would make the K30/K50 + AA adapter a logical upgrade.
01-31-2016, 07:49 PM   #10

Original Poster
Well. Saturday I bought my most expensive SD cards. One card in my K-3 caused hard hang and I tested later it with computer. First 512 MB was addressable. Anyway I bought two 32G cards 29 euros each and speeding ticket about 400 euros. So yes. The prices have come down and tickets are rather high.

And my K100 has battery grip. It has something like 10 Ah of lithium cells inside it. I took it from trash can. Some idiot didn't know how to dispose NiCd batteries. It is clumsy 3rd party grip but it works. I just replaced the regulators with nice 86+% efficiency switchers.

I used eneloops for my flash but I got rid of them. As I have HV charger with USB and access to 3D printer, now it has new door with face of elephant. In my bag I still have 8 ultimate lithiums AAA just in case those things break.

And they do break. My charger looked like this later Saturday. Some days you should stay in bed.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo