Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2016, 01:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax should make a enthusiast K-s1 DSLR

Pentax should make a enthusiast compact high iso DSLR that is about the size of the K-s1 to the K-s2 with a better grip. I know a lot of people are waiting for the Full Frame camera to be released but not everyone wants a Full Frame DSLR. Pentax must also cater to those people (APS-C potential buyers) as well. The best camera is the one you have with you. A compact camera is just easier to carry around with you hiking, on vacation, street shooting, etc. all day than say something the size of a D810. That's why the Sony A6000 and the Fuji X-pro 1 and X-TI are popular. Pentax needs a small feature packed DSLR (since for the time being they have no interest in mirrorless) . The small cameras they have now are entry level to medium level cameras (K-s2). This model will be just under the flagship model APS-C model (K-3 III ?). This is a possible feature spec of this camera: A WR metal alloy body. A 14, 18, or 20 Megapixel BSI CMOS sensor, 14 bit color depth. Mult segment 86,000 pixel RGB sensor, 81 focus points, 50 cross type F2.8 rated spread out over the image frame. Metering sensitivity and focusing ability going down to -4 EV. 100% frame coverage optical viewfinder with pentaprism. No AA filter. The Pentax equivalent of a quad or octo core processor with a large (64 to 128 GB) buffer. Two memory card slots and D-L190 lithium battery. Two control wheels, a 3 inch OLED twist and tilt display. Built in pop up flash and stereo mic built in with 3.5 mm stereo mic jack. Improved focus peaking that can use 1 of 3 color choices and is also available during full HD video recording. Auto-focus and SR can be used during video recording. Silent Shutter rated at least to 200,000 actuations. A dynamic range better than the K-5 II and K-5 IIs.
HDMI output and a sync speed of 1/200 of a second. Does this sound like a DSLR you think existing and potential new Pentax owners would want to have?

Last edited by Vantage-Point; 01-27-2016 at 01:41 PM.
01-27-2016, 01:37 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're pretty much describing the K-3, or whatever comes after it. I'd still consider it to be pretty small, at least for what it's capable of

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-27-2016, 01:39 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What we all need - another wish list
The K-S1 and K-S2 are already pretty good cameras if compactness is a priority.
If you want all the bells and whistles get a K-3.
01-27-2016, 01:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know, a another wish list. But it could be a good fit for Pentax because Pentax already has small primes and some compact zooms and a compact camera with Pentax color rendition would be a good alternative to Sony, Fuji, and micro four thirds cameras that is smaller in size and weighs less then the K-3.

01-27-2016, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #5
Banned

Photos: Gallery
If you want it smaller then thè basis of the K-S1 without the mirror is the way to make it smaller and add an EVF.
01-27-2016, 02:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
K-s1 size is small enough. Pentax does not have much experience in making EVF's but they do make optical view finders really well.
01-27-2016, 02:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Er, what's exactly wrong with the K-3 series form factor? Actually, I like the magnesium-alloy-kernel-excellent-ergonomics-no-need-for-hipster-colours design philosophy behind it. Maybe add a solid articulated back LCD next time around. Yeah, some successor of the K-3 II would be called for, in due course, to keep APS-C shooters in the boat, or even attract new expert-level ones.

That said, really, the K-3 is doing just about anything I could currently want from a camera, and likely will for some time to come, while I'm slowly expanding my lens kit. Some updates or additions to the APS-C lens line-up would signal to the crop camera crowd that even with the FF coming Ricoh is still committed to developing their APS-C system. But, as far as I remember, there're still an item or two on the roadmap to look forward to.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 01-27-2016 at 02:58 PM.
01-27-2016, 03:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nothing is wrong with the K-3 form factor. All I was saying is a Dslr with a smaller form factor that was capable of shooting at high isos with minimal loss of IQ and better dynamic range than the K-3, K-5 series cameras would be a good option to have. A good camera for a wedding shooter who is already carrying a lot of stuff so a lighter but capable camera(s) would probably be appreciated.
01-27-2016, 03:13 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I'm an enthusiast and the K-S1 suits me fine as it is. I love the small size and light weight, I don't have any problems with the grip, and I think it's the perfect body to use with my Takumars.
01-27-2016, 03:19 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I take the K-S1 bike riding, hiking and kayaking - it's been a great replacement for the K-x I used to carry. It gets called on to do everything from action photography to landscapes.
01-27-2016, 03:58 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The reasons for a compact DSLR are sound, and you might be able to cram all those features into a slightly enlarged K-S2, but not a K-S1. The only way they got the K-S1 as small as it is was by leaving out features. I think the only K-3 feature you left off was the top LCD. It's simply not possible to make a heavily upgraded K-3 PLUS a tilt/twist screen significantly smaller than an existing K-3 (or else the K-3 would be smaller).

Sony, Fuji, etc., can get the same specs in a smaller MILC package because they have much shorter register distances and no mirror box. Basically, they can fit twice as much electronics in the same volume as a legacy-mount DSLR.

Side note: The Pentax PRIME processor is a tweaked Fujitsu/Socionext Milbeaut image processor, which is only a dual-core. Pentax DSLR's capabilities depend heavily on what is provided in that off-the-shelf part. Pentax can't just slap in any old 4-core or 8-core ARM CPU, nor can they easily (cheaply, quickly) switch to a different vendor and architecture.
01-27-2016, 04:36 PM   #12

Photos: Albums
Vaughan, the grass is always greener.

The K-S2 is a near perfect compromise, the K-3 II a distinct step up, but still close enough to not merit something in between. Then there will soon be a full frame, and there is on one hand medium format 645Z and on the diminutive Q-S1.

I think that's quite enough. Be happy with our lot! ;-)
01-28-2016, 06:52 AM   #13
Forum Member

If only, if only, if only.

Heard this stuff for fifty years or more.

Hey! I know! Let's take some photographs with what we have! Which is a darned sight more amazing than my Kodak Brownie.
01-28-2016, 07:05 AM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Vantage-Point Quote
K-s1 size is small enough. Pentax does not have much experience in making EVF's but they do make optical view finders really well.
Having the af-module placed inside the mount infront of the mirror box makes the camera body thicker. So loosing the af-module and mirror can make the camera thinner. The EVF is then a solution to replaced the OVF. That is why the K-01 is the thinnest k-mount digital camera. Still much thicker then analoge due to shake reduction system and back LCD panel.
02-01-2016, 10:02 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I know it won't happen soon with the full frame coming out, but it would be great if Pentax came out with a K-01 type mirror-less with K-3 guts... Heck, I'd still like an original K-01 just to have as a light second camera or something when I don't want to bring my K-3 with me! (Come on eBay... Show me a deal I can't pass up!)