Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2016, 02:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

*istD L memory card

Am I correct in assuming that an *ist D L camera will NOT work with the same memory card (SDHC) that my K-50 uses? If not, are the ones that are correct for the *istD L readily available?

01-29-2016, 02:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

According to the database here the *ist DL can use SD cards fine and SDHC with a firmware upgrade, but not SDXC cards like your K-50.
SD are often less than 4GB
SDHC are often 4GB-32GB
SDXC are often more than 32GB
01-29-2016, 03:13 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My *istDS (no longer owned by me) required a firmware update. It was hard to find a 1GB card but I did it and I upgraded and it worked great with the 32GB and 16GB cards I had.
01-29-2016, 03:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So.... being the dullard that I am.... how does one go about updating the firmware? I'm trying to get this little camera up and working for the 16-year-old girl that appeared in the lens give-away I sponsored a couple of weeks ago.

01-29-2016, 03:36 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Firmware Update Software for *ist DL | Software Downloads?RICOH IMAGING CANADA

You will need at least ONE SD card under 4GB. Good luck finding one if you don't have one - ebay and amazon may be the best option.
01-29-2016, 04:30 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I believe it should work if you've updated your firmware. Otherwise you'll need to pick up a standard SD card.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-29-2016, 06:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hey Dewman, if you need a 4 gig or smaller card, let me know. I have some standard SD cards if you need one.

01-29-2016, 07:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
Hey Dewman, if you need a 4 gig or smaller card, let me know. I have some standard SD cards if you need one.

Oh man, Dave! You're a life saver! Yes! I need one that is about 2 GB I think. I don't know diddly squat about the *istD L, but was told that a 2 GB would work fine. I'm anxious to see if I can get it up and running and send it to the little 16-year-old so she can put the lenses I sent her to some use. It's a pretty clean camera, all in all. Very minor wear marks and I think it would be a good starter for young May K.

Thanks again.

PM me and I'll send you my mailing address.