Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Catch In Focus question

I have a Asahi SMC Takumar 50mm 1:1.4 lens that I'm using with K-S2. I've taken a few shots with it, trying to see if my eyes are good enough for manual focus with the VF.
I turned on "Catch in focus" in the camera, set to manual focus. The way I understand how it works, while holding down the shutter release when the subject comes into focus the shutter releases and the picture taken. When I try to do this, as soon as I press down the shutter release the camera immediately fires, before the subject is in focus. This was with a stationary target and I was turning the focus adjustment ring, also the focus confirmation icon does not show when doing this. While just turning the focus ring without pressing on the shutter button the focus confirmation icon in the VF does light up.

What am I doing wrong?

---------- Post added 01-30-16 at 01:55 PM ----------

OK, I should have done a search first. I found this statement:

QuoteOriginally posted by kmurphy220 Quote
Catch in focus is nice. Switch the camera to AF, hold down the shutter button and focus close to the area and then fine focus. It will fire for you. Burst shooting helps too. It works for all the K mount lenses, although not very good for M42 lenses since they don't have a metal connection right on top of the connections in the mount.
I did not have the camera in AF mode. I will try it again.

01-30-2016, 03:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If lighting is not good enough catch in focus may not work either.
01-30-2016, 04:45 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
I have a Asahi SMC Takumar 50mm 1:1.4 lens that I'm using with K-S2. I've taken a few shots with it, trying to see if my eyes are good enough for manual focus with the VF.
I turned on "Catch in focus" in the camera, set to manual focus. The way I understand how it works, while holding down the shutter release when the subject comes into focus the shutter releases and the picture taken. When I try to do this, as soon as I press down the shutter release the camera immediately fires, before the subject is in focus. This was with a stationary target and I was turning the focus adjustment ring, also the focus confirmation icon does not show when doing this. While just turning the focus ring without pressing on the shutter button the focus confirmation icon in the VF does light up.

What am I doing wrong?

---------- Post added 01-30-16 at 01:55 PM ----------

OK, I should have done a search first. I found this statement:

I did not have the camera in AF mode. I will try it again.
amazing...i was fooling around with a 50mm 1.4 with catch in focus today and did the exact same thing
01-30-2016, 06:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have tried to use catch in focus and my experience is that if I rely ONLY on that none of my shots come out in focus. I have much better luck using live view.

01-30-2016, 09:33 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Catch in Focus was Snap in Focus when I owned an SF-1. If your M42 lens is not working, you just might have a painted mount on the lens. That will defeat it.
01-31-2016, 01:57 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I have tried to use catch in focus and my experience is that if I rely ONLY on that none of my shots come out in focus. I have much better luck using live view.
If at all possible I too like LV, but I can only manage that when using a tripod. I was wanting to use the catch in focus with things that like to move around. I do have AF lens that I normally would use, but I wanted to play around with a 1.4 lens. I might end up looking for a FA 1.4 or the Sigma 50 1.4.
02-01-2016, 04:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
I have a Asahi SMC Takumar 50mm 1:1.4 lens

Asahi Takumar (M42) lenses aren't good for Catch-in-Focus, because they do not provide metallic contact between the lens base and mount/contacts on the camera body.

CIF is intended for manual focus K-, M- and A-mount lenses plus modern AF-lenses that have an MF/AF switch on the lens. Also remember that the AF-mode on the camera body has to be AF.S.

If you haven't found them already, I suggest you read these two tutorials:

Catch-in-Focus Tutorial - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/53-pentax-dslr-camera-articles/51036-how-...tch-focus.html

02-01-2016, 04:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The answer depnds on the Pentax camera in use. I don't know the KS2, but the K3 functions differently than the K5 series for CIF. On the K5 series, it has to be AF.S (single shot) for catch-in-focus to work. In AF.C, the camera will fire when the shutter is depressed regardless of focus. On the K3, the 'info' should just show MF.