Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2016, 04:40 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Moropo Quote
Joby Pro Sling Strap.
If you're using a grip compatible hand-strap, you still have to take your hand out of the strap to use the grip. This seems like a more practical choice. I think it can work with a flash bracket too since it just screws in. I'm interested in one now.

01-30-2016, 04:43 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You only have to drop a camera once to appreciate the "inconvenience" of a strap, and having both hands free when changing lenses is pretty useful too.

I generally use the supplied strap unless I'm shooting two bodies with f/2.8 zooms at events; in that situation I use my Black Rapid double sling instead.

I really like the leather strap which came with my silver K-3. It's long enough that I can sling it comfortably over my shoulder if necessary, and it is more padded and ever-so-slightly stretchy compared to the webbing straps.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 01-30-2016 at 11:22 PM. Reason: precision
01-30-2016, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #18

With the K-5II the supplied Pentax neck strap tends to be uncomfortable for extended periods. I replaced it with a Crumpler Industry Disgrace neck strap. Once I added the D-BG4 battery grip - a sling strap was the only way to go. With the battery grip on the K-5II the BlackRapid RS-7 curve rocks! To add additional protection use a piece of your original Pentax strap secured to the left strap loop on the camera body and add a small "O" ring to the other end to secure with the BlackRapid biner.

You can carry a heavy camera rig all day long and not notice the weight with a good sling strap.
01-30-2016, 04:47 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
The very first thing I do when I pick up my camera to begin taking pictures is put the neck strap around my neck! I cherish my cameras and the thought of possibly dropping it or slipping and falling and having it in my hand (and using it to break my fall) in the process just doesn't appeal to me. I've read some posters who discourage using the neck strap. Um..... to each his own, I guess, but as for me, I'll continue my current method. Like they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
I use a Promaster Contour. It is well padded and long enough to sling over a shoulder. The best feature is the padded portion can be removed and the straps connected to the camera joined to make a good hand strap. This configuration also makes it easier when the camera is mounted on a tripod.

01-30-2016, 05:02 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I always thought that they were shoulder straps. Yes I do use them but almost always on my left shoulder.
01-30-2016, 05:04 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, I use a camera strap, but not always and usually not on my neck. With a battery pack (that I don't always use) I have a good enough grip that I often disconnect the quick release clips and go strap free. Also when around machinery or on moving vehicles, I know of some gruesome accidents where the physics of the situation caused serious and sometimes fatal damage to the photographer's trachea, neck, and/or spine.

And on the two out of three times I have dropped a camera, it was because I trusted the strap and gravity found a way to defeat it.
01-30-2016, 05:05 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Most of the time I wrap the strap around my wrist, but every so often I like to have it around my neck (you know, when jumping across a stream, or something like that)
01-30-2016, 05:23 PM   #23
amateur dirt farmer...

not the neck strap, but a Peak Design Slide... much more comfortable...

01-30-2016, 05:24 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I've shown this before.... anyway..... I generally hold my camera in my hand and just use a wrist strap in case of the oops moment.....anyway, I've "remanufactured" the pentax kneck strap into a wrist strap.

Wrist Strap.jpg
by Noel Leahy, on Flickr

When using heavy lenses or on a "long walk camera ready" then a sling strap for me.... wrist strap always conected of course.
01-30-2016, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

The first thing I did when unwrapping my k-5 and then K-3 cameras was to remove the 'd ring' to which the neck/shoulder strap attaches. The neck strap is far too uncomfortable for me, and the d ring causes marks on the body which are unnecessary. I either use no strap at all as the camera's with BG fit my hand like they were moulded to it, or I use a single or double sling strap if I am out and about shooting.
01-30-2016, 05:27 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
OP/TECH wrist strap most of the time and when necessary use the modular set-up to attach neck strap or sling. I have the connectors on all my cameras so they're easy to transfer around. They're also great value for money.
01-30-2016, 05:56 PM   #27

Whilst I can see the benefits of straps like the Black Rapid and Joby mentioned earlier, my concern is that they attach to the camera using the screw attachment I fit my tripod quick release plate to. So to use one of those straps I would need to remove my tripod plate, which I would then have to fit again to use the tripod.

To me it also leaves the camera in a lens down position when it is hanging by the strap, which means you are more likely to catch the end of the lens on passing objects. At least with a neck strap the camera is by and large protected by your torso.

Is there another solution? How about a shoulder holster for cameras.......
01-30-2016, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Peak Design Slide is hands down the best strap in existence. I use it on the 645Z with the 28-45mm brick attached and it is still comfortable. The supplied connectors unclip in a matter of seconds for on tripod use and reattaches just as quickly. There's a reason why they are amongst the most successful kickstarter products of all time.
01-30-2016, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

I use the Peak design slide strap and hand strap system. Best system in the world. No more touristy looking Pentax strap for me
01-30-2016, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Whilst I can see the benefits of straps like the Black Rapid and Joby mentioned earlier, my concern is that they attach to the camera using the screw attachment I fit my tripod quick release plate to. So to use one of those straps I would need to remove my tripod plate, which I would then have to fit again to use the tripod.
I have an ARCA-STYLE Fusion Plate, from FPGEAR, attached to the camera. This allows me to quickly connect to tripod/monopod whilst having my BlackRapid sling strap attached.
Have a look at Fusion Photo Gear | Arca-Swiss Quick Release Plate

Cheers,
Terry