Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2016, 07:30 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't use a neck strap anymore. For me it's either the Black Rapid Strap (single or double as needed) or the strap that came with my silver K-3.

Last edited by chuck_c; 02-04-2016 at 06:44 AM.
01-30-2016, 07:31 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My journey's afield usually don't last very long, so I don't suffer the physical discomfort that I realize could come with an extended trek. My back and hips give out long before any discomfort from the neck strap would be a factor. All of my OME neck straps (I Like the bright red "Pentax" on them!) have all been extended as long as they will go. That seems to fit my needs best and keeps the camera far enough away from my face that I can easily switch batteries or lenses and view the menu screen for any in-camera changes I might need to make. I feel so much more at ease knowing that there's little danger of dropping my hard-won cameras.

I always (95%) of the time use a monopod and never have to remove the camera from my neck to use it. I leave the camera attached to the monopod, shorten it and carry in with the leg under my right arm. If I'm on some ground that I feel unstable, I often will take it off and use it as a walking staff to help maintain my balance. Also, if I decide to get down onto my knees to take a shot (VERY seldom! Ugh!) , I use the monopod to help me back to my feet.

You have no idea how much I envy you younger folks who have the stamina and balance to take these extended journeys into the wilds for hours on end. What a sublime thing that used to be.

Thanks for all the input. I had no idea there was so many different options to this often perplexing problem.

Last edited by Dewman; 01-30-2016 at 07:36 PM.
01-30-2016, 07:41 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I never use straps on any of my cameras. They are too much of a Liability.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-30-2016 at 07:46 PM.
01-30-2016, 08:08 PM   #34

Neck Strap?

No! I use the Blackrapid RS-7 camera strap and worth ever cent. You can carry a 70-200 all day long if you had to, but also carry a line of shoulder straps for all camera and lens combinations. Really the best money I"ve spent and very well built and will last a long time.

01-30-2016, 08:58 PM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I use a wrist strap. Neck strap gives me a headache.
01-30-2016, 09:13 PM   #36
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I use a wrist strap. Neck strap gives me a headache.
I've considered wrist straps, yet whenever I hold my camera with the grip and/or a somewhat beefy weighted lens my hand gets sore and my arm goes numb if I hold it for 30+ minutes solid. All that weight on one arm (and subsequently, the shoulder) can't be good either.
01-30-2016, 09:19 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Neck strap gives me a pain in the neck and leads to a headache also.
My shoulders are not the right shape to have the strap over one shoulder: strap slides and camera would end up in the dirt, (or on the rocks!)
I bought a (cheap) wrist strap but never got it adjusted to be comfortable.
I usually just carry the camera in my hand (with the strap trailing and risky getting caught on something)
The day that my daughter in law described as the coldest that she has ever felt, I had one very blue hand!

01-30-2016, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...oh, and on the few times I have handed the camera to someone (only to take a shot that includes me) I first put the strap around his/her neck!
01-30-2016, 09:31 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote
Nope...replaced it with this Pentax DSLR Leather Hand Strap 85101 B&H Photo Video. No chance of dropping the camera if you have your hand in this strap. Otherwise, I keep camera and extra lenses in a bag, typically a messenger style type.
Me, too. Mine is getting worn I use it with all 3 DA lenses. The M lenses go on a tripod. I hate neck straps. I do use a LowePro Sling Bag 100 AW when running light with just two lenses, but the hand strap stays on the camera for when the camera is out of the bag. When the M400 is along, I use a big old LowePro Trecker that holds the lens + 1.7 AFA + camera, just barely. I've had it for a long time, and only a couple of the clips have ever caused problems.
01-30-2016, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I bought two of these, one for my K-30 and one for my black K-x but now use it on my K-x Storm Trooper.

OP/TECH USA SLR Wrist Strap (Black) 6701062 B&H Photo Video

They're very nice and sturdy, and my arms don't hurt after carrying the camera around. I have small hands and skinny arms. Course I don't use them on long hikes because I can't do that.
01-30-2016, 09:42 PM   #41
Pentaxian

I use my neck strap, as it was intended...around my neck. I dread the idea of dropping a camera/lens. When I was younger I would carry my camera body, just in hand. As I aged, I lost confidence in my ability to carry my camera body in hand, alone.
01-30-2016, 09:50 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I used to.. but not any more; now I use either hand straps and/or sling straps. Neck straps are pain in the neck, especially when you have to use more than one camera at a time.
01-30-2016, 10:04 PM   #43
smf
Pentaxian

I use a strap sold for use with binoculars. The camera is close to my chest, and I avoid neck discomfort.
01-30-2016, 10:12 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Have not been using the standard Pentax neck strap for ages...switched to the Optech neck strap ones and recently switched to the BlackRapid sling. Works well.

On my Q, I uses the Optech uniloop thingy which can attach to either a neck strap or a hand strap...

But when I use the hand strap only, the other uniloop is dangling and hitting the camera...anyone has any idea how to resolve this?
01-30-2016, 10:22 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just ordered the strap advised by Photolady - USD8.95 and USD12.26 for postage - a bit over AUD31.
It might just be what suits me.
Thanks Photolady!!