Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2016, 07:03 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think neck straps are awful--uncomfortable and a danger to me and my gear. I do use a Black Rapid strap in certain circumstances but mostly the camera is either in hand or in the bag.

01-31-2016, 10:42 PM - 1 Like   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
Try them and sue me if it isn't so.
I was going to, but my legal team wouldn't accept that 'unkipunki' was a real name.
And you certainly are not on the electoral roll for South Lochaweside, Argyll.
02-01-2016, 12:55 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I use the neck strap as a sling. Camera quite tight behind my left arm where it doesn't bounce around and is obscured by my arm. I don't own a camera bag but keep small primes in a small "man bag" like shoulder bag.

Can pull the camera out with my right hand and shoot in a split second.

All logos are taped on my gear including the strap.
02-01-2016, 01:02 AM   #64
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always use a strap*, though I have not used the standard Pentax strap in years. Instead, I have Domke Gripper straps on my cameras. They have good breathability, excellent grip, are strong, stays cool (cotton webbing) and do not bounce. They allow for much longer adjustment than the Pentax strap too. They come in two widths and at least one version has the option of quick-release swivel clips to avoid tangling and easy removal.

Steve

* Usually around my neck, though sometimes over shoulder only, and when going over rough stuff over neck and under one arm with the camera behind so that it will not swing.

02-01-2016, 02:26 AM   #65
Veteran Member

I use Peak Design Dual plate with a wrist strap that buckles around my wrist. I can let the camera dangle while walking about to let some air flow between my palm and the camera (essential in the summer) or exercise my fingers to relieve the stiffness of holding the camera too long. The cheap eBay wrist straps works well enough but the original webbing strap that comes assembled is too short when the bottom plate is replaced by the Peak Design Dual plate, which necessitated replacing the offending webbing strap with a longer one.
02-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Took off the neck strap and never looked back. I'm not afraid of dropping the camera and never have.
02-01-2016, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #67
Pentaxian

No neck strap. It usually just interferes with me attaching my camera to the tripod. I don't mind a short hand strap.

I also have this convertible solution which works well:

this way I can remove the neck portion when I begin to shoot and buckle the wrist strap to my tripod head for added security.

Last edited by mikeSF; 02-02-2016 at 09:49 AM.
02-02-2016, 05:06 AM   #68
Pentaxian

All you non-neckstrappers are you carrying a camerabag?
02-02-2016, 05:48 AM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Can't speak for all but, for me, yeah, almost always.
02-02-2016, 07:49 AM   #70

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I either use a camera sling bag without any straps (maybe sometimes a wrist strap) or a rapid sling without a bag. Sometimes I use a belt holster. The neck strap strains my neck too much especially when I walk around with a 55-300wr. I'm really not concerned if I drop my K-50 as it'll be a good excuse to upgrade to the K-3.
02-02-2016, 01:07 PM   #71
Veteran Member

You guys who get strain with the strap, how are you hanging your camera? I tend to have mine slung over my left shoulder, dangling just above my right hip like a satchel, and have never found it even slightly uncomfortable.
02-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #72
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nabwong Quote
The neck strap strains my neck too much especially when I walk around with a 55-300wr.
This is the lens that I take walks with, on my K3. With the OpTech neck strap around my neck, and left arm thru the strap, I never have any discomfort. The strap is neoprene and soft, no cutting into your neck.
02-02-2016, 02:00 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I guess that the physical limitations in some way or another has worked out well for me in that I seldom venture very far from my car. That in turn means that I can keep one heck of a lot of gear close by me.

Just for S&G's, I always bring at least one camera case full of lenses of all descriptions, a tripod, a gimbal and my BIG lens, a camera bag that is designated for lens brushes and cleaner, filters and different size hoods to fit all the lenses I bring along.

I've also put together an AWOL bag that contains several items, including several different colors of background cloth for that occasional flower that needs a little "help," and a couple of mirrors (about 12" x 12"),

I also always bring along my monopod, not only for it's intended use, but also as a walking staff to help with my lack of good balance. It also serves me well when I decide to get down on my knees for that occasional low shot.... and I have to get back up on my feet! Man oh man..... sometimes THAT'S a real chore! Often times, I will also bring along a white umbrella to shade a subject if needed.

I know what you're thinking.... 'Geez, this guy's packing an entire studio along with him!" Well, yep.... in a way, you're right. But, like I said, I seldom get very far from my car and so, why not? One thing's for sure, I'm never left wanting!

O.K...... quit shaking your head in amazement and disbelief! One of these days, you too will be old and frail. Then, you'll be faced with finding a way to continue on with this most wonderful of passions. This just happens to be MY way of dealing with it.... and it works very well. Very well, indeed!

And yes, I ALWAYS use a neck strap.
02-02-2016, 02:04 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With short lenses, 3 wraps around my wrist, with long lenses, over the shoulder, never around the neck
02-02-2016, 02:20 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
Ditched the Pentax neck strap on my K-3 II as soon as I could...far too short for me and my neck doesn't like the load.
I now use a Black Rapid sling strap, which suits me fine.

Cheers,
Terry
Same here. I use BR and will never use the neck strap again.

From a recent thread about straps:

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr:
I used to carry only 1 body and wrap the included neck strap around my wrist. That got annoying because every time I needed to do something with both hands, I had to find somewhere to set the camera down. Knowing I really wanted to carry 2 bodies, wrapping the strap obviously wasn't going to work.

After a bit of searching around, and making a similar thread to this one, I found Black Rapid straps and decided to give them a try. I got the Yeti first:

BlackRapid YETI Dual Camera Harness RS2DC-1AL B&H Photo Video

You can remove one of the straps and use it as a single camera strap, but I prefer keeping it as a 2 camera strap at all times. That way, I don't have to readjust every time I use it. Just put it on and go. So, to me, it always remains as a 2 camera strap.

It's comfortable and the shoulder pad is wide and padded. With a pair of K3's, DA*300 and another lens on the other camera, you don't really feel the weight pulling down on you. Even with 2 unequal weights on each side, it stays in place. I never have any issues with it shifting around or trying to slide off. K3 w/grip and heavy lens on one side, and K3 w/o grip and small prime on the other has never been a problem.

For the times where I carry only 1 camera, I use the Black Rapid Cross Shot. The shoulder pad is slimmer and you barely feel it on your shoulder. I've only ever used this strap with smaller lenses, such as the DA15, 21, or M100 for example. My girlfriend uses this same model of strap with a K3 w/grip and 55-300 WR. She loves it.

BlackRapid 63" Cross-Shot Sling Camera Strap RS16SC1O-BL
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/311250-dslr-straps.html