Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2016, 10:24 PM   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're welcome Rod. I can't take credit for knowing about it first though. A few members here suggested it to me when I asked a question about camera straps a few years ago.

01-30-2016, 10:28 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You get the credit from me!
Cheers.
01-30-2016, 11:05 PM   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In that case, I accept your thank you.
01-30-2016, 11:13 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nope. For carry I use a Peak Design Capture Clip. With that I use a simple wrist strap I make out of webbing . As I grab the camera from the clip, my hand first goes through the wrist strap.

01-30-2016, 11:20 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As an addendum to my earlier post, I definitely prefer a shoulder sling to a neck strap, and the Peak Design system looks really interesting. I now have a couple of items in my B&H basket waiting for enough to justify the postage
01-30-2016, 11:56 PM   #51
Forum Member

No, I don't use a neck strap; I choose Peak Design system, and I use cuff wrist strap - more convenient for me.
01-31-2016, 01:46 AM   #52

Yeap, I usually do.

01-31-2016, 05:03 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, I do use it. Almost always. Gives me a sense of control, and as I usually keep one hand on the camera, the risk of accidentally bumping my baby into something or somebody is greatly reduced. With the fairly lightweight lenses in my kit, excessive neck strain is not an issue. Slung around the upper arm or shoulder, or generally tensioned, the neck strap even serves me as an impromptu stabilizer for the camera (think LV shooting, barely hand-holdable situations).

Only annoying thing is when it gets in the way with tripod shooting, especially when the wind catches it and makes it flap around. Could be solved with a detachable clip-on alternative, but till now I couldn't be bothered. However, I did replace the O-ST132 that came with my K-3 with the subjectively slightly better-quality O-ST53 (less plasticky feel of anti-slip lining) that used to be packed with the K-7/classic K-5.

Don't really care if the standard neck strap makes me look a little touristy or amateurish. In fact, it often helps me to blend in with the crowds to the point where possible human subjects no longer perceive me as intimidating or threatening and visibly relax. Maybe it's just a vain hope, but hopefully muggers and thiefs quickly loose interest as they may get the idea that I'm only carrying a second-tier-brand consumer model with little resale value.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 01-31-2016 at 05:29 AM.
01-31-2016, 04:11 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Maybe it's just a vain hope, but hopefully muggers and thiefs quickly loose interest as they may get the idea that I'm only carrying a second-tier-brand consumer model with little resale value.
Steady on! There is a quite a discussion on this forum regarding how we stand out from the Canikon owners of the world and how rare we are, but "second-tier-brand consumer model with little resale value"?

If my gear was stolen and fenced, I'd prefer to think it would stand out from the crowds of other second hand gear for sale as it's hard enough finding somewhere to purchase it new....

I do like the strategy of deflecting would-be miscreants by implying that we have nothing worth stealing though,
01-31-2016, 04:34 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a pd clip. When trekking, be that 100 metres/ 110 yards over rough terrain it is my go to. If I'm simply wandering it's the slide every time. If I'm trekking, then wandering, it's both. I will never look elsewhere for straps or secure carrying as these are the ultimate possible solution. Try them and sue me if it isn't so.
01-31-2016, 04:45 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Steady on! There is a quite a discussion on this forum regarding how we stand out from the Canikon owners of the world and how rare we are, but "second-tier-brand consumer model with little resale value"?

I didn't say that I personally subscribe to this point of view - it's all about people's perceptions. And annoying as those can be for various reasons, there are sure situations were it can be advantageous if you can kinda slip under the radar ...
01-31-2016, 04:48 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Not going to read all the past posts. @Dewman your threads seem to take of fast!

I had it on for about a year but got sick of it and took it off, I prefer it without for the last month I've used it without
01-31-2016, 05:46 PM   #58
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never used the neck straps that come with cameras; rather my preference is the OpTech straps. They are comfortable for me. I use a hiking stick when on walks, so don't want the other hand having to hold the camera with a wrist strap. With the K3, and my 55-300, my hand/wrist would tire quickly. I am considering getting a sling strap and some brand of "holder" that the camera clicks in, on your waist. This would be much easier on my walks. Just haven't decided exactly what I want.
01-31-2016, 05:56 PM   #59
Forum Member

Most of the time, but I don't use the one that came with the camera. I bought a handmade one on eBay when I had an *ist DS and I like it better because of the padding and width. It was also good when my niece and nephew were babies; it has a billiard ball pattern and the colorful balls caught their attention. I'm not a big fan of billiards but I love how quirky it is.
01-31-2016, 06:37 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
As an addendum to my earlier post, I definitely prefer a shoulder sling to a neck strap, and the Peak Design system looks really interesting. I now have a couple of items in my B&H basket waiting for enough to justify the postage
Its the best in my opinion. You really need to buy one Don't forget to buy this as well if you do. Peak Design Standard Plate for 4 Way ARCA Type Tripod Head PL-S1