Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2016, 03:01 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Neck Strap. Do you use yours?

The very first thing I do when I pick up my camera to begin taking pictures is put the neck strap around my neck! I cherish my cameras and the thought of possibly dropping it or slipping and falling and having it in my hand (and using it to break my fall) in the process just doesn't appeal to me. I've read some posters who discourage using the neck strap. Um..... to each his own, I guess, but as for me, I'll continue my current method. Like they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

01-30-2016, 03:12 PM   #2
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used my neckstrap for about 2 years on my K-30, but I got sick and tired of it always getting in the way, because when i'm shooting I usually have the strap off my neck. I realize it isn't the most ideal situation, and I wish I had an alternative, but its SOOO annoying...

I think i'll try putting it back on for a bit, see if i can endure. I really don't want to drop it accidentally, no matter how secure my grip seems to be
01-30-2016, 03:16 PM   #3

Do I use my neck strap? Always. Like you I don't want to risk dropping it, but I also don't want to put it down somewhere it might get knocked (we have a puppy!) when I need to use my hands for something else at the time. Also if I want some additional support when taking an image in low light, I put tension on the strap with my arm and it stabilises the camera body, much as you would use a rifle sling to steady the rifle.
01-30-2016, 03:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nope...replaced it with this Pentax DSLR Leather Hand Strap 85101 B&H Photo Video. No chance of dropping the camera if you have your hand in this strap. Otherwise, I keep camera and extra lenses in a bag, typically a messenger style type.

01-30-2016, 03:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

My OM neck straps are still in their original packaging. I sometimes will use a cross shoulder strap on rare occasion. I use a wrist strap, unless walking a long distance then the camera goes in the bag. Anytime I pick it up, I use the wrist strap. If I hand the camera to someone to take a picture, first thing is the wrist strap.
01-30-2016, 03:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I do use my neck strap a lot of the time, especially when I'm shooting my K-3 from the waist using the FLUcard and my phone. However, I've only used the strap that came with the K-3. On my K-5, I fitted my unused beautiful leather Pentax neck strap from my original SP-F, which is nice and small and comfortable, and doesn't shout at everyone around you.
01-30-2016, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #7

I close to never have it around the neck when i take pictures. But I do coil the strap 1-2 times around my right wrist for the sake of safety.

But after having stalked that Peak Design Slide strap for a while, i plan to pull the trigger sometime soon and get it, even at that ridiculous price.
I kept thinking of a way to have my camera with me most of the time if not always, in the lightest setup possible (1 lens only) and truly enjoy photography again.
I will probably go with Peak Design because other similar straps hold the camera in 1 point - at the tripod mount and i don't like the idea of all that dangling around.
I plan to also have made a custom leather case for the new K-3 and this will be my walk-around setup. Don't know what the lens will be yet, was leaning towards DA 15 Ltd. but i am a bit curious (regarding the last Pentax roadmap) of that upcoming wide zoom (15-28mm maybe?) which will probably also have weather sealing. I hope it'll be a smaller lens because i am in search for that. It used to be "sharpness, sharpness and some more sharpness" but now it's about small/light and color rendering. Guess i'm slowly going up one more step from the novice level where you only fret about "gear" and "sharpness".

"But enough about me", reason i mentioned PD Slide is, at least from the looks of it, you'll be able to comfortably (?) shoot without taking off the strap (if you wear it diagonally across the body), which would make walk-around, casual photography much more enjoyable. Wouldn't it?
01-30-2016, 03:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Yes, always (I exchanged the one that came with the K3 for another one though). Now I've got the problem that I started using a Peak Design Capture Clip that attaches the camera to my backpack strap when I go out for hikes, and it's annoying to always take the strap off and reattach it afterwards. I would appreciate a strap that I could unclip in a matter of seconds, instead of taking several minutes to thread it in properly.

01-30-2016, 03:52 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Yes, always (I exchanged the one that came with the K3 for another one though). Now I've got the problem that I started using a Peak Design Capture Clip that attaches the camera to my backpack strap when I go out for hikes, and it's annoying to always take the strap off and reattach it afterwards. I would appreciate a strap that I could unclip in a matter of seconds, instead of taking several minutes to thread it in properly.
Peak Design make a magnetic camera strap that should work for you. I have a magnetic wrist strap from Restrap and it work well.

Last edited by Sofa; 01-30-2016 at 03:52 PM. Reason: typo
01-30-2016, 03:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I always use it, except for that one time when I dropped my K-30.

The camera's in easy reach so it only takes a second to grab and shoot. I can also wrap it round my hand and elbow to get a solid frame when shooting.
01-30-2016, 04:05 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
The very first thing I do when I pick up my camera to begin taking pictures is put the neck strap around my neck! .....
Same here, or I wrap it twice round my wrist.
Learnt my lesson picking up cam only when the strap got caught around a drawer knob and exited my hand...
the onboard 50/1.2 got a dent in the filter ring as a result
01-30-2016, 04:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter

I use a JOBY strap which for me is more comfortable it goes over one shoulder and the camera hangs to the side and is ready when you are
01-30-2016, 04:23 PM   #13

When I first got my K50 with 18-55 kit lens I used the neck strap but it was always uncomfortable as it pulled on my neck.

I replaced the neck strap with a Joby Pro Sling Strap. Best thing I did. Carrying the camera is no longer a hassle.

I now have the DA* 16-50 which weighs considerably more than the 18-55 kit lens and I can't imagine carrying this thing if I had the neck strap...
01-30-2016, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #14
mee
Site Supporter

Yes. I use one of these guys with my camera Amazon.com: Neewer Adjustable Padded Neoprene Camera Neck Strap 2 Packs: Camera & Photo

They are wider, more padded, and slightly stretchy over the OEM strap. Makes it more comfortable on the neck. I also have a sling bag that I generally keep the camera in if I'm on longer walks. It can spin around from back to front which makes it quick and handy. But the neck strap is always attached to the camera.

I further have a knock off Cotton Carrier-like vest but, again, the neckstrap is always attached just for extra protection. 8 dollar neck strap vs many hundreds of dollars in repairs or replacement gear buying. I'm going with the extra strap.
01-30-2016, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #15

Ditched the Pentax neck strap on my K-3 II as soon as I could...far too short for me and my neck doesn't like the load.
I now use a Black Rapid sling strap, which suits me fine.

Cheers,
Terry