Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2008, 01:08 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
3D-like Rendering and XYZ Lenses?

Many people talk about 3d-like images from certain lenses. I've seen many photos but I don't understand what people are talking about. I was hoping my fellow forum mates could sort me out!

Does anybody have examples of the "3D" effect? What lenses create this? Anybody understand why or how this happens?

Lastly, if it's possible, could somebody maybe post two images using an excellent ("3d") lens and a good lens, with the same subject, using the same focal length, etc. I know that's a tall order. I just figured that maybe somebody has already done this test.

Thank you anybody who can further my understanding and maybe nudge me towards my next lens purchase.

Frank.

07-03-2008, 04:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Helios-44M (and derivatives) create a 3D-like effect. I don't know how to explain it, it's just the feeling it gives the viewer.

No pictures from me, but I'm sure fellow forum member Voe has some.
07-03-2008, 04:53 AM   #3
RaduA

The so called 3D effect is IMO related to the lens' microcontrast and the way it renders a scene (in both colors and contrast) thus creating an apparent "roundness" to an otherwise 2D image. Basically this "roundness" is the result of the planes separation (in focus and oof) and of course the quality of the bokeh plays a big role also. All this is very subjective though.

Best examples would be some Pentax Limiteds (FA 31 comes to mind) and most Zeiss glass.

Radu
07-03-2008, 06:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Excellent 3-D photos and discussions in this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/24444-can-you-please-post...ish-photo.html

My own favourite is this pic -- irrespective of the background bokeh the flower seems to show a ball shape rather than appearing flat on paper

Enjoy

Last edited by Kguru; 07-03-2008 at 06:26 AM.
07-03-2008, 10:04 AM   #5

This is my best example...the flower seems to really stick out.

07-03-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Cosina 100mm and FA43 render nice 3D objects. Respectively:

07-03-2008, 11:15 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you!

Thanks, everybody, for replying. I wonder what characteristics of a lens cause it to have more micro-contrast vs. macro-contrast? Can they really be distinguished? There certainly are some photos here and in the other thread that seem to have more of a 3d feel. On the other hand, it's not as mystical as I assumed.

Many of the photos are simply shot with a a wider-angle lens and/or composed with depth in mind. On the other hand, I can see what some of you are talking about! It must not be a coincidence that those 3d-ish photos are also some of the sharpest looking.

Anyways - thank you again. I appreciate your help!