Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2016, 05:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

No love for Pentax?

Why are there so many camera websites that ignor Pentax completely? Imaging Resource, camera Labs, and several others. Why is Pentax such an underdog? Their cameras are wonderful in so many ways!

Last edited by Tony3d; 01-31-2016 at 05:20 AM.
01-31-2016, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shh, don't tell anyone, it's our secret.
01-31-2016, 05:23 AM - 4 Likes   #3

There's lots of love actually.

If you google Pentax on imaging-resource.com you get over 51,000 results. With cameralabs.com there are 1420 results.

Pentax accounts for about 1 in 20 new interchangeable lens devices. This means it has to operate and present disproportionately well to get the attention of mainstream sites. It is usually ranked among the top 5 brands though.

Sites like Pentaxforums.com are viewed enviously by Nikon, Canon, Sony marketers because it reflects a substantial and actually growing global community-base of enthusiasts that these other companies lack. Call it Pentax soul or eccentric innovation, Pentax owners tend to be self selecting and discerning. They get Pentax's value for money proposition over its built-in shake reduction, great glass old and new and WR focus.
01-31-2016, 06:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Why are there so many camera websites that ignor Pentax completely? Imaging Resource, camera Labs, and several others. Why is Pentax such an underdog? Their cameras are wonderful in so many ways!
The same reason why passionate Pentaxians don't like Canon and Nikon: proprietary lens mount with make it expensive to change from one brand to another + self reassurance that the owner made the right purchase decision. If you consider brand attachement, since Canikon out-number Pentaxians, Pentax is bashed more often than not, it's a defensive reaction for people who get their pride from their favorite brand. A lot of Canon people bashing Pentax while never having used one, and the other way around (Pentaxians don't want to hear about Canikon because they feel threatened). So, you always have to distinguish if the bashing is justified or not. In the product category where Pentax is in , Pentax products are competitive, though there are areas where Pentax do not have much to offer. For instance, for short focal length in body image stab of Pentax is an advantage (you can get any lens stabilized) but for long lenses, optical stab (what Canon and Nikon are using) is more effective. So, it's not black and white, so depending on what you intend to do with your camera, there are advantages and drawbacks to each brand.

01-31-2016, 06:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnhilvert Quote
If you google Pentax on imaging-resource.com you get over 51,000 results. With cameralabs.com there are 1420 results.
Not the whole story of course, but for comparison a google search on other brands on imaging-resource.com gives:

Pentax - 51,000 results
Sony - 69,500 results
Nikon - 73,000 results
Canon - 75,900 results
Kodak - 1,860 results

And for cameralabs.com:

Pentax - 1,420 results
Sony - 7,220 results
Nikon - 8,750 results
Canon - 10,100 results
Kodak - 1,120 results

And for pentaxforums.com:

Pentax - 190,000 results
Sony - 13,400 results
Nikon - 31,400 results
Canon - 33,200 results
Kodak - 4,590 results
01-31-2016, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Back in the 1960s, Nikon beat Pentax and everyone else to the punch in being the first to produce an entire SLR system (big range of lenses, flashes, data backs, bulk film backs, auto winders, motor drives, , interchangeable prisms, etc.) for the small professional market for 35mm format cameras. The prestige of being the choice of most professionals was heavily leveraged by Nikon in their marketing and resulted in big sales to the masses. Canon managed to wedge its way in during the 1970s and 1980s by virtue of massive investment in marketing. Since that time the general public think that all professionals use Nikon or Canon, therefore an entry-level Canon or Nikon with a lousy kit lens is viewed by the public as being the best camera.
01-31-2016, 07:38 AM   #7
Pentaxian

If Pentax represents a 5% market share, using the IR numbers, and releases 5% of the product, then they should have 5% representation.

Pentax 51,000 results.

Total numbers 271,000 =19% of the mentions as opposed to 5% of the market share. Looks to me like Pentax is getting lots of love.
01-31-2016, 07:40 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I only clicked on this because Otis wanted to see if this was posted by a potential Jumper. He loves Jumpers that knock Pentax and threaten to go to the "Big Boys" of Nikon and Canon where they can hone their pathetic skills and become Pros...all because Pentax was inferior to their talents.

Thankfully, it was not a Jumper thread......and we don't have to listen to Otis rant for an hour.

Squirrels know the truth...... Think about it......Otis is never wrong!

Regards!

01-31-2016, 07:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, I agree that each manufacture shines in certain area's AF, high ISO, Lens availability, but I think Pentax overall is the clear winner! First, and formost, the K Series body layout, and feel is practically perfect! The in body shake reduction is a huge plus, the high end glass even from the old Takumar days is really good glass! Even small things like pixel re-mapping which many cameras still don't offer, is really nice to have. Love the sensor composition feature, and the SV MODE! I don't know, there seems to be an awfull lot here! I live in Orlando, and most of my family works at WDW, so I'm there a lot, and all the time I have been going over the past 26 years I have yet to see a single Pentax in use, and I look! I think a lot of people would be very surprised at just how good these cameras are built, and the plerhra of features they offer. Which brings me to one more point. Build quality. I really don't thing you will find a better built body in this size DSLR! Nikons , and Canons just feel less solid. Especially the lenses. Perhaps it's the reliability issues. I mean once you get a good copy they last, but many times, you have to get more than one to find one that's perfect! Had that problem with both my K7, and K5. So far my K3-2 seems good! More thoughts?
01-31-2016, 07:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I only clicked on this because Otis wanted to see if this was posted by a potential Jumper. He loves Jumpers that knock Pentax and threaten to go to the "Big Boys" of Nikon and Canon where they can hone their pathetic skills and become Pros...all because Pentax was inferior to their talents.

Thankfully, it was not a Jumper thread......and we don't have to listen to Otis rant for an hour.

Squirrels know the truth...... Think about it......Otis is never wrong!

Regards!
Snot's fully agrees with Otis!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-31-2016, 07:58 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If Pentax represents a 5% market share, using the IR numbers, and releases 5% of the product, then they should have 5% representation.

Pentax 51,000 results.

Total numbers 271,000 =19% of the mentions as opposed to 5% of the market share. Looks to me like Pentax is getting lots of love.
It's getting mentioned anyway. We should really look for combinations of the words and phrases before and after "Pentax", like "...sucks", "...is a load of bollocks", "I hate/love...". For example

"Pentax is doomed" site: imaging-resource.com gives 41 results
"Pentax is doomed" site: cameralabs.com gives 1 result
"Pentax is doomed" site: pentaxforums.com gives 635 results

Google doesn't have a way of sorting the results by sarcasm results, so let's just assume these are all earnest proclomations.
01-31-2016, 08:10 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Quote from Imaging Resource: "The Pentax K-3 II was awarded a Camera of Distinction in the Best Enthusiast DSLR and New Technology categories of our 2015 Camera of the Year awards!" Sounds like some love to me!
01-31-2016, 08:18 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
It's getting mentioned anyway. We should really look for combinations of the words and phrases before and after "Pentax", like "...sucks", "...is a load of bollocks", "I hate/love...". For example

"Pentax is doomed" site: imaging-resource.com gives 41 results
"Pentax is doomed" site: cameralabs.com gives 1 result
"Pentax is doomed" site: pentaxforums.com gives 635 results

Google doesn't have a way of sorting the results by sarcasm results, so let's just assume these are all earnest proclomations.
You could of course search "Nikon Sucks": or "Canon sucks" etc, how much time do you have to burn on this? We need a definitive baseline for what percentage of the posts are negative for each brand. Then we'll know what we're talking about. Personally I prefer to remain blissfully ignorant.
01-31-2016, 08:29 AM   #14
Lens Buying Addict

So long as Ricoh keeps making Pentax cameras I honestly don't care what the other people buy.
01-31-2016, 08:46 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Well my look on this. When youtubers or writers for a site of gear-testers do their work they don't get paid. Unless they work for some bigger company. So you have to make money on advertising. Testing a Nikon takes as much time and effort as Testing a Pentax. The traffic to such an article is much more for the Nikon and thus are your chances on making money bigger. Wheater this is True adverts on the site or sales made true a connected link that gives % of the sales made. So ignoring Pentax is sometimes a business choice.