Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2006, 09:18 PM   #1
Ed in GA

Printing 8x10's from my K100D

I've already taken quite a lot of photos with my new K100D. And, I've printed quite a few of them.

However, there seems to be a problem with the prints.

I'm curious if anyone else has had this experience and how you overcame/compnesated for it.

At this time, I'm using only the Microsoft photo editor and the print software that came with my HP5650 Printer to print.

When priinting to 8 x 10 (and maybe others) some of the photo is getting cropped away and I'm not getting the full photograph onto the paper.

I have a copy of Photoshop Elements 5 on the way and I wonder if this might help me solve the problem. Or, is it a hardware problem????

Any help and comments would be appreciated.

Yeah, I know this is a bit off topic but, I need help.

Ed

10-01-2006, 04:55 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Printing 8x10's from my K100D

I think that it has to do with the 3x2 image that the camera shoots.

I had similar trouble with my little Epson printer producing borders until I read enough on DP Review and realized that the Pentax Photobrowser software had to be set to "crop" before I could make 8.5x11 prints without a border.

Hope this helps......and then again, I could be not entirely right (or wrong).

Lucky Sky
10-01-2006, 11:12 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I think you are on the right track. I have learned (using Picasa) that a 4x6, 5x7 and 8x10 all have different sizes, so you lose part of your picture, regardless of what size you choose (if you demand a borderless photo). If you go with a small border, then you can squeeze it all in there just fine.

So, what I have learned is to fill the frame, but not to fill it completely when taking pictures.
10-01-2006, 01:29 PM   #4
Forum Member

The pixel array for the K100D is 2008 x 3008. This works out to a 2:2.99 ratio, call it 2:3. (2008/1004 = 2. 3008/1004 = 2.99.)

You will be able to make non-cropped prints only when you use paper that is also 2:3. That means 4x6 and 8x12. (Costco makes 8x12s on their Fuji printers.)

Any other paper ratios will require some cropping. 3x4 obviously is 3:4, 5x7 is 5:7, 11x16 is 11:16, 12x18 is 3:4.

I don't think very many people realized that their 35mm film negatives (24x36, 3:4) were being cropped during printing. If they were lucky the photofinisher cropped off the feet of their subjects, not their heads.

10-01-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
Forum Member

Here's Photoshop Elements fix:

Go Image -> Resize -> Canvas Size.

Click Relative on.

Set Canvas Extension Color to black or another color that will be very obvious set against the rest of the image.

Set 10 inches for width, 8 inches for height.

Close Resize and return to the editor.

Select 8"x10" in Aspect Ratio in the tool bar.

Now you will have a 8:10 frame that you can drag until the edges hit the long end of the image. This will leave a (black) area top/bottom of the image.

After you print you can mask/trim the (black) area away. You will end up with a maximum sized, non-cropped image.

And check your printer to see if it will accept 8x12 paper.
10-01-2006, 01:57 PM   #6
Forum Member

After all that I realized that there is a much easier fix in PSE.

Open the image in the Editor.

Select 8"x10" in Aspect Ratio in the tool bar.

Click the Crop Tool.

Position the cursor over the top left corner and hold/drag it down to the right until the crop line reaches the right hand side of the image.

Release and you will see a black area at the bottom of the image. This is the added canvas that can be masked/cut away after printing.

(These instructions assume a horizontal/landscape image.)