Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-01-2016, 07:34 AM   #1

Probably Sending My K-3 In For Warranty :(

Just wanting to vent a little bit here as this will be my first time with a decision like this. Sorry if this is in the wrong section and if I bore you all to death.

Never had a problem with any of my Pentax cameras before from the K100d Super to my K-5. I have a K-3 that I bought last April and around December had a piece rubber foam break off leaving black "strands" of dirt BEHIND the focus screen that just won't stop coming. Almost every week now I'm having to blow it out. I'm nearly tempted to just remove the rubber foam completely!

I also have this tiny little speck that won't come off the sensor. Not sure what it is but it just won't come off. When I do dust alert it doesn't see it and my sensor shows up as clean but I see it (although barely visible and you'd have to really look for it) in all the F22 tests I shoot. I do sometimes shoot at F16 and I can barely see it under the same test against a green screen or something. If it wasn't the Prestige edition I'd almost certainly just sell the camera, cut my losses, and just buy another one but I'm one for unnecessary sentimental value.

So one thing I wonder is would it void my warranty if I used a sensor cleaner to try and remove this one little speck? For reference, I used Visible Dust and other than this one tiny speck not going away this product is awesome.

Hopefully the viewfinder assembly is covered as the foam rubber should not have randomly broken up the way it did!

I don't have any photoshoots until March so I figured I'll send it it now and hope to get it back before then. And hopefully don't have to pay much or anything...

02-01-2016, 09:00 AM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It would still be under warranty if you send it in before April, costing you nothing; if you bought it new, and have the paperwork. The condition you are describing, the foam flaking off, will probably only get worse, and you will be more unhappy with the camera as time goes on. If it was me, I'd send it in; especially since it's the Prestige model.
02-01-2016, 09:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
It would still be under warranty if you send it in before April, costing you nothing; if you bought it new, and have the paperwork. The condition you are describing, the foam flaking off, will probably only get worse, and you will be more unhappy with the camera as time goes on. If it was me, I'd send it in; especially since it's the Prestige model.
You're probably right, Carol. I'm overthinking this. I'll send it in and hopefully get it back correctly. What I'm more worried about is the amount of posts suggesting that PCR is incompetent when it comes to this type of stuff. Hopefully the end result is me not having to buy a new K-3 or getting mine's fixed at an unreasonable cost.
02-01-2016, 10:04 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron_Man Quote
getting mine's fixed at an unreasonable cost.
Did you buy it new last April? If so, it should cost you only postage to send it in, to be repaired under warranty.

02-01-2016, 11:28 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Did you buy it new last April? If so, it should cost you only postage to send it in, to be repaired under warranty.
Let's just say I won't be surprised if they turn around and say none of it is covered under warranty. I guess I'm trying to prepare myself for the worst. Perhaps unnecessarily.. Hopefully it just comes down to postage
02-01-2016, 11:37 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure if the regular warranty also includes a routine cleaning. I wouldn't expect it to, since the extended warranty specifies that it includes "one free cleaning". Then again, it wouldn't hurt precision to get a little bit of good PR by being nice to its customers...

I'd call them and ask about the cleaning. Might be cheaper just to get it professionally cleaned locally, if there are still any camera stores around.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-01-2016, 11:51 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm not sure if the regular warranty also includes a routine cleaning. I wouldn't expect it to, since the extended warranty specifies that it includes "one free cleaning". Then again, it wouldn't hurt precision to get a little bit of good PR by being nice to its customers...

I'd call them and ask about the cleaning. Might be cheaper just to get it professionally cleaned locally, if there are still any camera stores around.
Interesting. I did do a live chat with Precision and after a few minutes of waiting for the rep to find out, the only thing they advised was just to send the camera in and from there they would decide if any of this is under warranty. I figured I'd send the camera in and hope for the best. Giving a call won't hurt though.

02-01-2016, 11:52 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Disappointing that you have rotting foam in the viewfinder optics (!?)...Good that you discovered it while the camera is still under warranty and that you are intending to send it in.

You would be surprised at the number of users on this site who post a complaint that goes something like, "From the day I took delivery ______ did not work properly. That was two years ago. Why won't Pentax fix it under warranty? Pentax is so lame/crooked/doomed..."

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-01-2016 at 11:58 AM.
02-01-2016, 11:55 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron_Man Quote
Let's just say I won't be surprised if they turn around and say none of it is covered under warranty.
Always the optimist, eh? They should cover unless there is evidence of water intrusion or gross misuse. As for cleaning...they will give the camera a basic CLA as part of the service. At least that was my friend's experience sending in a K50 last year. The camera was returned spotless.

Steve
02-01-2016, 03:53 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ron Man.I find it amazing that you actually chatted with a person at Precision camera,i guess miracles do happen?I had a K 30 that was there 4 times for the same issue under warranty and twice it was returned to me and they did nothing to repair the problem,now it is on it's way to Ricoh/pentax for replacement.I tried several times to call and email Precision camera and never received a response until i contacted Ricoh and had them contact Precision and then it was just Ricoh relaying my message.Maybe people here have had a better experience at Precision camera than i have had but as far as i am concerned they are one of the worst companies i have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.Oh and by the way it doesn't matter if the warranty will cover the repair or not Precision camera will attempt to bill you regardless,they attempted to bill me the first three times mine was there for warranty repair and there is no way they could have got the camera out of the box without moving the receipt showing it was under warranty.I would have to be stupid to believe that happened by accident three times in a row.
02-01-2016, 05:45 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
Ron Man.I find it amazing that you actually chatted with a person at Precision camera,i guess miracles do happen?
I talked to Precision by phone twice during my experience with them. Perhaps I should consider walking on water?

Steve
02-01-2016, 07:59 PM   #12
Pentaxian

How did you get anyone to answer the phone?I called several times and it rings and rings and rings and that is it.I sent emails and get no reply.They did send me a few emails though,your camera is done but we have been waiting for payment before return shipping?They were waiting for payment but never notified me it was repaired and it was under warranty? Really not sure how they assumed i knew it was repaired?My crystal ball had a dead battery that day i guess?
02-07-2016, 05:27 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
Ron Man.I find it amazing that you actually chatted with a person at Precision camera,i guess miracles do happen?I had a K 30 that was there 4 times for the same issue under warranty and twice it was returned to me and they did nothing to repair the problem,now it is on it's way to Ricoh/pentax for replacement.I tried several times to call and email Precision camera and never received a response until i contacted Ricoh and had them contact Precision and then it was just Ricoh relaying my message.Maybe people here have had a better experience at Precision camera than i have had but as far as i am concerned they are one of the worst companies i have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.Oh and by the way it doesn't matter if the warranty will cover the repair or not Precision camera will attempt to bill you regardless,they attempted to bill me the first three times mine was there for warranty repair and there is no way they could have got the camera out of the box without moving the receipt showing it was under warranty.I would have to be stupid to believe that happened by accident three times in a row.
Hi, Just wondering who or where you contacted Ricoh, bschriver11 . My K-3 , purchased on Aug 15 2015 , suddenly will not power on . I have spoken to the guy at the 800 number on the Pentax/Ricoh site , and yes I am going to have to send it in to Precision Camera. I've been reading all the reviews of Precision , here in the forums , and also online at other sites, and I do not have a good feeling about doing that. The review of Precision are terrible. I feel like my 6 month old camera is still new, and absolutely hate the thought that it needs repair. Even if I get it back and all seems fine , to me it will no longer be a new camera , and I'll always think something is going to go wrong. In my opinion, if it is the motherboard that needs replacing , as I've been told is probably the case, (not by Precision, they don't answer any questions at all) , that should not happen on a six month old camera , and Pentax/Ricoh should replace my camera and take this one and sell it as a refurbished one.
Anyhow, I've been trying to decide who or where to write to to vent! Any thoughts or opinions would be much appreciated.[COLOR="Silver"]

Last edited by maryjo; 02-07-2016 at 05:31 PM. Reason: sorry, posted it twice
02-07-2016, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #14
mee
Veteran Member

Well.. for warranty work in the US you have no other option as of today. So, I'd suggest following the directions for sending it in and do just that.

Before you do that though I'd recommend also capturing the current damage and detailing (in photographs) the rest of the camera. Just to cover your rear in case something does happen.

That said, I sent a camera lens in to them 3 times and, while they couldn't figure out how to fix it, they didn't really make it worse. I also sent the camera body in. They actually did a great job cleaning it (sans it appears losing the VF eyecup -- minor issue).

Just document your camera, the issue for sending, take photographs of the current condition.. but do follow the directions (on the Precision website) for sending it in.
02-08-2016, 06:48 AM   #15

Thanks, that sounds like a good thing to do , I will take photos of the camera to show the condition it is in today. And I know it's not been dropped or mishandled, and that there is no chance of water damage, so I will have to hope the warranty repair doesnt take too long and that it comes back working. I guess I just doubt it will be like new. -