Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2016, 02:58 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Question about lenses for K10D

I've taken some good shots with my K10D since I bought it in 2008, but something often seemed lacking. Finally, the other night, something hit me: Maybe it's the lens. When I first got the camera, I used the lenses from my K-1000, and those photos look a lot better than the ones taken with the digital-specific lens I bought a few years later (and which I have used ever since). The photos taken with that lens tend to have an odd sort of focus. Has anyone else experienced a problem when using a digital rather than a film lens?

Keep in mind, I don't know yet that this is the problem, since I've changed the lens, but haven't photographed anything. I'd just like to hear other user experiences.

02-04-2016, 03:09 AM   #2
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Photogoof. What are the lenses you are using? A little more information needed.
02-04-2016, 03:22 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
One film lens is an Ozunon 35-75mm. I don't have the other lenses with me right now, but I'll post as soon as I can.
02-04-2016, 03:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Each lens will have its distinct look. It can be subtle, but there will be differences in colour tone and micro contrast, in the way out-of-focus areas are rendered as well as the transition from in-focus to out-of-focus. Modern "for digital" lenses will often be more contrasty, maybe with cooler colours, and will generally be more flare resistant due to better coatings on the lens elements. Whether you prefer one or the other is a matter of taste.

I have never had any problems with the focus of modern lenses. Could it be that you have a decentered lens? The link is to a lensrentals.com article on the topic.

I believe your Ozunon lens is in in the lens database.

Last edited by savoche; 02-04-2016 at 05:50 AM.
02-04-2016, 05:37 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How are you focusing? It sounds like a dumb question I know, but with modern camera systems, we typically don't have split prism focusing screens and bright viewfinders. The camera based focus confirmation isn't always actuate either.

Perhaps if you post some images and indicate exposure settings that would also help.
02-04-2016, 06:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Older film lenses tend to render images differently from modern lenses. Not as much contrast and saturation. But it really depends on the lens. Modern lenses can have big differences between them, as well. Something like Pentax HD DA 40mm limited will be very different from DA 18-55mm.
Generally, fixed focal length lenses (aka primes, no zoom) have higher image quality. And premium lenses (have more features, have limited or * designation, cost a bit more) are significantly better, as well.

I don't know which lenses you have tried and which ones you have on hand but did not yet test, but lenses are definitely very important in photography. Many say to update lenses before updating camera, because good lenses tend to keep their value better over the years, and you can use them even later after you decide to update your camera.

That said, old film-era zoom lenses usually do not have very good image quality. Other problems with older lenses can be that they are difficult to use (they don't all have the automatic features of modern lenses, like autofocus, automatic aperture, and so on), or that they have been damaged over the years. There are definitely some gems available for reasonable prices, though, especially if you are the kind of photographer that enjoys a challenge and photos that have some special character to them.

We can give more advice if you list the names of your lenses (Name, number of mm, and F-number). You can also check in the lens review database, maybe someone already reviewed those lenses. These are not professional, so the numbers are not super accurate, but the reviews can still be helpful

For Pentax lenses: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/
Third party lenses: https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/

Ozunon 35-75mm here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/ozunon-35-75mm-f3-5-4-8-mc-auto-zoom.html
02-04-2016, 07:14 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

The K10 is interesting. I had a DA16-45 which performed very well on that camera. Remarkably well.
Also a Tamron 70-300 which did well, but on the K5 it was very purple fringed.
I also found the older A and M series 50mm f/2 lens and an M1.7 were really good, they were bright and had plenty of contrast - partly that was me taking time to get the exposure right. An A50 f/2 or A50 1.7 would be a lens to look for - if you're comfortable with manual focus.

Also, look for a Promaster or Pentax 24-105, I think those will work well on the K10.
02-04-2016, 11:37 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
The other film lens (which I'm not sure I've ever used on the K10D) is a Konica 80-200mm from Sears. The digital lens is a Pentax DA, 18-55mm. I always focus manually. I came to digital photography from film, and I tend to use the K10D like a film camera - all manual settings, and I don't know much about the bells and whistles of the camera. It really bothers me that noise when shooting at 400 is so much more pronounced and ugly than film grain. But that's another issue.

02-04-2016, 11:58 AM   #9
Pentaxian

You say your 18-55 has "some odd sort of focus"? That really doesn't say much. Maybe picture examples would help...
02-04-2016, 12:23 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
The focus seems just a bit off. Not enough crispness to the photos.
02-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
The digital lens is a Pentax DA, 18-55mm.
That is not a terrible lens, better than many older zoom lenses or third party super zooms, but it is still one of the worst DA lenses. Get something like Tamron 17-50mm and you will already notice better low light performance (constant f2.8) and sharper images. Even Pentax DA 18-135mm will give you better IQ, and longer zoom range. Lenses like DA 35mm and DA 50mm will be even better still. That said, DA lenses are not designed specifically for manual focus. This means they have a short focus throw, no distance scales on the focus ring. This means the AF is faster, but it is more difficult to focus by hand. So maybe DFA, FA, and F lenses would be good candidates.

But if you focus and the final focus looks different from what you see in the viewfinder it might be due to some mistake in the diopter settings in the viewfinder (do you use glasses?). Or on the focus screen of the camera (this is unlikely, if it was never changed. If the focus screen has been replaced, it is possible that it is slightly off and needs other shims).
02-04-2016, 01:28 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
I did need to adjust the diopter setting with the film lens. I adjusted it with the digital lens some time ago, but it may need some tweaking.
02-04-2016, 02:07 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I used a bunch of cruddy lenses on my K10 when I had it. and didn't really have any problems.... Once I installed a proper focusing screen!

It is very difficult to be sure of focus otherwise. Check out focusingscreen.com/ to get ideas.
02-04-2016, 02:15 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Are you manually focusing the DA lens? How about if you use auto-focus? Any difference?

I never found manual focus to work very well on my DA 18-55. It's not geared for fine adjustment as well as manual focus lenses.

The 18-55mm isn't known for its sharpness to begin with. It's pretty soft wide open at 55mm, at least mine is.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DA-18-55mm-F3.5-5.6-Zoom-Lens.html

Last edited by Not a Number; 02-04-2016 at 02:29 PM.
02-04-2016, 04:34 PM   #15
Site Supporter

I also have a K10D, and use film era lenses. The lens off of my Pentax ME Super is the SMC Pentax M 50mm f1.7. I consider it to be my 'pro' lens. It's manual focus, manual aperture. For me, image quality is more important than bell & whistles. I too learned on all-manual film cameras, so focussing and setting f-stop is second nature. You can pick this lens up on e-bay for under $50, which is a steal for a lens of this quality. On the K10D the equivalent focal length is 75mm, so long normal or short telephoto. I also have a Tamron-F 28mm f2.8, which is a very decent lens. Again, under $50. On the K10D its equivalent focal length is 42mm.

I replaced the original focussing screen in my K10D with a split-prism type. I couldn't afford a $100 Katz-Eye, so I bought a 'cheap' Chinese one for $20 on e-bay. I thought it would probably be junk but decided to take the risk. Boy, was I wrong! Instead of junk, I've been very favorably impressed. I can't remember the exact seller right now, but could look it up. The screen was actually a complete kit, including soft-tipped tweezers for removing the old screen and installing the new one. Very well packaged; spoke quality (or maybe I'm just gullible). I didn't have to do any shimming thankfully, as I'm sure that could be a pain. This type of screen is highly recommended when using manual focus lenses. I still use my DA 18-55mm some (until I can get that Tamron 17-50mm mentioned by Na Horuk); the new screen doesn't seem to affect its performance.