Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2008, 01:25 PM   #1

Shake Reduction Doesn't Work..?

Hello! This is my first post.

I have a problem with the Shake Reduction on my K10D: It doesn't seem to do any lick of difference! I have done hundreds of tests, and it has never made even the tiniest of differences. Does anybody know what's wrong? Can anyone help me?

I came from the forums at dpreview.com after getting frustrated because I never got replies to my questions. Hopefully this thread will at least have a few replies.
Thanks

07-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

are you shooting handheld pictures with shutter speeds lower than 1/30 without using flash??

what kinds of "hundreds of tests" have you done?
07-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you post an example? Some shots with the full EXIF intact?
07-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Shutter speed/focal length combinations? I normally find it good for a couple of stops...

07-03-2008, 03:30 PM   #5

If SR's switch is on, lock focus and press the release button before you got the "hand's" indication in the view finder then the picture will be blurred.
Also SR might not fully reduce camera shake when taking close-up shots.
07-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Take a photo with around 1 sec shutter speed. Doesn't matter what, doesn't need to be properly exposed. You should hear the SR. Sounds like a weird.. uh.. vibration sound from the camera...
07-03-2008, 06:21 PM   #7
Forum Member

Need a bit more info...pics, how they were taken, vertical horizontal.....ISO shutter speed ect.....

I shake a lot and my K10 and K20 give me sharp pics everytime even with the 200mm handheld!!
But i mostly use a monopod with that lens usually

07-03-2008, 06:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

maybe you can hold the camera steady without it
07-03-2008, 08:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Big I

You can try this---turn on Live View and look carefully at the LCD as you move the camera around and about. Then, after getting used to the LCD's image with SR on, suddenly switch off the SR. Now see if you can notice a difference in the way the image in the LCD stabilizes, with SR off, compared with how it stabilized to movement with SR on. Good luck!

Regards,

Ernest
07-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Big I

You can try this---turn on Live View and look carefully at the LCD as you move the camera around and about. Then, after getting used to the LCD's image with SR on, suddenly switch off the SR. Now see if you can notice a difference in the way the image in the LCD stabilizes, with SR off, compared with how it stabilized to movement with SR on. Good luck!

Regards,

Ernest
Live view on the K10D?

Seriously though, I have been very impressed with the shake reduction on my K10D. I have been able to hand-hold several "impossible" shots. For example, the photo below was taken with my 85mm Jupiter-9 hand-held at 1/8 second.

At that shutter speed, focal length, working distance, and hand-held I should have gotten a shaky mess!

One caution, however...shake reduction will actually introduce blurring if none is present. If you are shooting from a tripod, either use the 2 second delay or turn off the shake reduction.

Steve
07-03-2008, 08:23 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

a very mild rant

QuoteOriginally posted by Big I Quote
Hello! This is my first post.

I have a problem with the Shake Reduction on my K10D: It doesn't seem to do any lick of difference! I have done hundreds of tests, and it has never made even the tiniest of differences. Does anybody know what's wrong? Can anyone help me?

I came from the forums at dpreview.com after getting frustrated because I never got replies to my questions. Hopefully this thread will at least have a few replies.
Thanks
No offence intended but you will not get many useful replies here if you don't post your photos. The people who are here and have responded are good people, but they are not clairvoyant.

If you post your shots, people will give you very insitefull help, especially if you include the EXIF data so they can see the shooting conditions.

If you realize before you get to posting the photos that you have made a boo boo, post that too. No one will jump on you for admitting a mistake, but they might if you do a post, complaining about a function, and then do not make any further posts or post any photos.
07-03-2008, 10:09 PM   #12

Original Poster
Shake Reduction Pics

Replies to all of you:
Here are some pictures with and without shake reduction. 50mm, ISO 100, F/8, 1.6 secs, handheld without any brace.

WITH SR:

(do I need to resize it? Sorry, this being my second post and all..)

WITHOUT SR:

There's more difference in this comparison than a lot of others I've done. Every time when I do a test like this, there's just a miniscule, if any amount of difference with SR on and SR off.

What's wrong?

Last edited by Big I; 07-03-2008 at 10:11 PM. Reason: typo
07-03-2008, 10:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
stevebrot: Live view on the K10D?

Yes, my sincere apologies for this error on my part. I guess I''m living in a K20d-centric world. I did read the request for help with the K10d SR, but still made the mistake.

Regards,

Ernest
07-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

According to the EXIF data I see, you are actually using a K20d after all. Can you confirm this for us? Thanks.

Regards,

Ernest
07-03-2008, 10:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Big I :

The EXIF data shows you using a 75mm lens. Are you inputing 75mm into the SR system when the camera powers up?

Regards,

Ernest