Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2016, 08:44 AM   #91
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
As a user of multiple systems myself : Canon,Nikon,Pentax, Leica - if you all equip them with normal lenses, they will produce essentially the same result*
YOU know it, he does not. See my point?
And yes, OP did not specify the pro field he plans to enter. I wonder if it's better first consult in school? What is that school for?

Last edited by micromacro; 02-07-2016 at 08:56 AM.
02-07-2016, 08:56 AM   #92
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
YOU know it, he does not. See my point?
I'll have to whip up a demonstration...
02-07-2016, 09:00 AM   #93
Site Supporter

I'll have to whip up a demonstration...
If I understood 'whip up' correctly, the demonstration from you will be very educational.
02-07-2016, 09:04 AM   #94
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I understood 'whip up' correctly, the demonstration from you will be very educational.
And involve all kinds of equipment most of us only dream of owning.

02-07-2016, 09:23 AM   #95
Lens Buying Addict

You probably will ONLY see this honesty on this single post.

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I never realised how lucky I am in my photography class. No gear snobs, and the professor thinks my Pentax gear is really cool.
She gets my tick of approval.
Nice lady. Life-long amateur photographer who teaches for the love of it. My wife has known her for years and years - she's a student (who learns for the love of it) in my wife's continuing education department.

Mid-60's, challenging, demanding and critical in the positive sense. Her community college class is often lottery-entry but she has started to let a few people quietly audit from the back of the room.

mrs. monochrome recently said something like, "If you're really going to do this photography thing as your hobby you need to get some instruction," but I missed the enrollment cut for spring semester. I audited the first class to get a sense of what I would commit to. I'll do the summer session starting in June.

Then we'll see if I'm a collector or a user.
02-07-2016, 09:27 AM   #96
Pentaxian

OP did not specify the pro field he plans to enter.
I recall the OP mentioning wedding photography. That does make a demonstration rather difficult, as it would be best to demonstrate the lack of difference in output between camera systems using a relevant example that reflects his expected usage. Wedding photography is a field I flatly refuse to get dragged into*, I have the wrong temperament for it*.

* To be fair, several years ago did bridal photography - which is very different, as it is usually one or two models with no parents involved.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-07-2016 at 09:36 AM.
02-07-2016, 09:31 AM   #97
Pentaxian

I recall the OP mentioning wedding photography. That does make a demonstration rather difficult, as it would be best to demonstrate the lack of difference in output between camera systems using a relevant example that reflects his expected usage. As wedding photography is a field I flatly refuse to get dragged into, I have the wrong temperament for it.
My daughter asked me to do her wedding, I said, "I'll do the video."
02-07-2016, 09:42 AM   #98
Lens Buying Addict

I have the wrong temperament for it*
My wife's bridal portraits were done in-studio just before the artist retired. They're wall-worthy.

The only redeeming quality of the wedding photographer was the 6x7 he used. When he declared bankruptcy some years later he held the negatives hostage* - they cost more than the prints.

* That letter caused the only use of a certain invective Anglo-Saxon active verb beginning with 'F' I have ever heard exit mrs. monochrome's lips.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-07-2016 at 09:50 AM.
02-07-2016, 09:49 AM   #99
Site Supporter

I recall the OP mentioning wedding photography. That does make a demonstration rather difficult, as it would be best to demonstrate the lack of difference in output between camera systems using a relevant example that reflects his expected usage. Wedding photography is a field I flatly refuse to get dragged into*, I have the wrong temperament for it*.
Oh... that field is so diverse, it can be done with any cameras, imo, in any quality, depends on price and target group. OP can start entering now, on low budget, with Pentax and lenses he has, without school, and grow as a pro.
My best wedding portraits were done with DA70mm ltd, but I was only a guest with camera (refused to be in charge! ). The pro had Canon FF, top lenses, but her work hm... I was amazed how little top gear means really
02-07-2016, 09:54 AM   #100
Pentaxian

As a user of multiple systems myself : Canon,Nikon,Pentax, Leica - if you equip them with normal lenses, they will produce essentially the same result*
I'am not convinced of that myself in all honesty.

Yeah, if you are a great photographer, you master MF and shot f/2.8 or more closed down and have time to perfect the shot this would be essentially the same.

Now if you work in less than ideal situations (say a wedding or photojournalism), rely on AF rather than MF and need good f/1.8-f/2 practical performance, the result can be quite different from my own experience:

- K5 AF is not good enough if you don't help it with MF for shallow deph of field portraiture. AF sensor are too big and so don't lock necessarily where the red dot appear at all.
- K5 AF doesn't work that well in low light... Slow and unreliable.
- FA50 f/1.4 has unreliable AF with a K5 in almost all conditions.
- For me the K3 did improve this a lot (with all lenses) with small AF sensors that actually focus on a much smaller area and that work well in low light
- FA50 f/1.4 never really worked for me, not that contrasty or sharp at f/2 or bellow, difficult to use. FA77 work better but I suspect that FA50 f/1.7 or DA50 f/1.8 or DA*55 all do a better job.

To me there a few things were better gear actually really help, and that include AF were different bodies, lenses and system have quite different performance in practice. But I would say having more accurate WB and exposure doesn't hurt neither.

My eyesight don't allow me to do MF without using LV + zoom so for me that's AF or being quite slow...

Last edited by Nicolas06; 02-07-2016 at 10:02 AM.
02-08-2016, 10:48 PM   #101

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianCollins Quote
I've been a Pentax shooter for a number of years now, but I have found the lack of lens availability frustrating. I always thought my images were pretty good, but since I began attending photography school a few months i have been impressed by the sharpness and quality of the images produced by fellow classmates shooting some competing products (Canon and Nikon).

I currently use a K5 with the following lenses.

FA 1:1.4 50mm
DFA Macro1:2.8 100mm WR
DA 1:4(22) 16-45mm ED-AL
F Zoom 1:4-5.6 70-210mm

I want to remain loyal to Pentax, but I'm finding it more and more difficult to do so. I plan to go pro when I'm finished school and want to be able to provide high quality images. Is it possible to do so and remain a Pentax shooter? If so, what equipment would I want to buy when I upgrade? What does Pentax have to offer that can compete with the high quality images that Canon and Nikon can produce?

Would appreciate any advice you can give.
I had some of the same sought, put I stayed with the Pentax . I know every Photo mag its Cannon, Nikon.
At the end it was me and not the equipment .
02-09-2016, 07:51 AM - 2 Likes   #102

A recent client of mine asked me if I shot with Canon or Nikon. I politely explained why I don't shoot with either of those. He made it clear from the beginning he knew nothing about photography so here is what I said.

My camera of choice is what gets me the pictures I show. It's simply my tool for the job. And because I like being different from everyone else I go with Pentax. Kind of like firearms. Do you shoot with a Glock because police do? Plus you'll save money since I don't charge like those guys :P

At this point he grabbed his phone and started Googling "Pentax K3".

To feed his interest some more I followed it with additional technical reasons. Obviously, the K-3 has one of the best, if not the best, Dynamic Range of any camera. Weather sealing allows me to shoot in the rain in case you don't mind getting wet, and lastly my pictures speak for themselves.

Remember, it's not the gear but it's the photographer. Do you have the eye to take photos? And the patience to learn how to develop them to your taste? Trust me, no "pro" photographer will take photos and immediately upload them to their website neither...
02-09-2016, 08:27 AM   #103
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

There was lots of good advice in this thread. However, I think you, guys, miss the issue.
OP has difficult time to stay loyal to Pentax because he thinks that other systems produce better results. I see the only way for him to compare- literally to find the way to step out the loyalty and compare. Not to abandon Pentax, but try different systems on his own. Nothing teaches better than own experience.
He can borrow the camera in class/after class with his memory card, he can test cameras in stores with own memory card, he can buy used camera to play. No matter how great post will be here, he has to do own homework.
I think this sums it up nicely. It matters little what we say, or photos that we post; what is important is for the OP to take the advice quoted above. In the right hands, just about any camera can turn out fantastic results. The OP is considering going to another brand hoping that brand will give him stellar results. I frankly doubt this, but one has to have confidence in not only themselves, but also the brand, in order to start getting the better results desired.
02-09-2016, 08:30 AM   #104
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron_Man Quote
Remember, it's not the gear but it's the photographer. Do you have the eye to take photos? And the patience to learn how to develop them to your taste? Trust me, no "pro" photographer will take photos and immediately upload them to their website neither...
Good points!