Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2008, 10:39 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kmccanta Quote
Wow, not a lot of emphasis on weight or aperture in this thread.

I guess cause the the DA70 is 2.4? But it is TINY.

The 77 is 1.8, thats a full stop faster than the zoom.

I dont have either lens, and while I want the Tamron28-75/2.8 .. in fact its probably next on my list... I use my FA50/1.4 most. because I can get a good looking snapshot indoors without flash.

Also, for those "zooms are old fashioned comments" look around here and see if there are any Tamron Zoom club threads... (there arent) while the M club and K club are showing off lovely photos that amount to garden snapshots. There is a certain something in those old primes that isnt manufactured anymore....

-k
But it still comes back to what you ultimately want to do with your camera and upcoming lenses.

Yes Old lenses are fun to use, I have 7 MF primes, I take them out to play or when I want to spend time, but when I travel, I pack 2-4 new AF zooms. Why, because they are less hastle.

07-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
"Also, for those "zooms are old fashioned comments" look around here and see if there are any Tamron Zoom club threads... (there arent) while the M club and K club are showing off lovely photos that amount to garden snapshots. There is a certain something in those old primes that isnt manufactured anymore...."
Yeah, that something is called steel rebar. ;-)

For the record, what I said was that primes are old-fashioned, not zooms. I reserve the right to change my mind on that, but at the moment, it does appear to be true. However, just to show that I'm broadminded, here's a link to an excellent little essay by Mike Johnston of The Online Photographer, one of my favorite photography blogs:

The Online Photographer: The Case Against Zooms

What he says about primes is similar to what I sometimes say about shooting in full manual, so I'm inclined to sympathize with the concept, at least.

Still, in practice, I still find that good new zooms have an image quality that is extremely difficult to distinguish from the image quality of good primes and when it can be distinguished the prime is not invariably superior; and the zooms are more versatile.

But both are legal and there's certainly room for individual preference!

Will
07-11-2008, 01:01 PM   #18
Igilligan

If you were asking me about the portraits....

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
Great shots; the portraits are what I aspire to... what lens did you use for the portraits,
FHPhotog
The portraits I posted are all with the Tamron 28-75...
07-11-2008, 03:57 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I just have to say that the 70mm is so much smaller that you can fit 5 lenses of its size instead of the 28-70mm.....

That means that in my bag i have 5 lenses and a camera body that cover 21-70mm (21,31,40,50,70) that take less space than the 28-70mm and have better low light capabilities (31mm is 1.8 and 50mm is 1.2) and faster AF (yes, small primes such as the 70mm focus faster than the 77mm and the 28-70mm)

I am a prime lover and Pentax original lens lover. (remember: more money for Pentax = better cameras and lenses for us). If you like zoomseses, be my guest... Go Get Tamron

07-11-2008, 10:39 PM   #20
Igilligan

-Shashinki-
You are one lucky shooter... what an arsenal of glass and steel. Of course many of us would love to have your bag of tricks. I have the DA 40 and find it a fine little lens, but that is where my limiteds end. You are right about the AF, it is my fastest focus lens.
For now my wallet dictates another 2.8 zoom in my future, but I dream often about the 31 and 77...... Oh and the 50 1.2..... I would love one.
07-12-2008, 12:46 AM   #21
Veteran Member

why consider it an either/or issue? Why not a which lens first issue? Zooms are the adjustable wrench of the lens world. Primes are the spaners. You should have some of both in the old tool box.

Personally, I want both of the lenses you are asking about. But money is always an issue.

I believe in buying what you can, and then upgrading later.

I buy zooms first, then primes.

If my cash was on the line here, i would get the 28-70, then get the 77 ltd. While I was waiting for the cash for the 70/77 I might be tempted to buy a Jupiter 9. I consider it to be the poor man's 77 ltd.

I like Lowell's Lens List (LLL). Usefull guild to your LBA. Could this the the next three letter acronim? LLL? Lowell's lens list?
07-12-2008, 03:07 AM   #22
axl
Veteran Member

I have thought that zooms are more convenient etc, etc. Then I got Hoya 135 f2.8. It didn't do much to change this attitude of mine, because it's manual, and bit longer then I'd like. Then I got Sigma 105 and was amazed by it's output. But still tad too long. But then I got DA40. And this single small lens turned my world upside down. It's one stunning lens and I don't miss the zoom on it at all. It makes me think about framing, and composition much more than zoom. It's IQ is excellent, and pictures taken with it coming straight out of camera are great. Personaly I don't find changing lenses a big hassle. It's a part of it...
I know that sometimes I wish I'd have different lens on camera but I personaly, I'm leaning more and more towards primes, I simply find them more effective then zooms. As much as Tamron 28-70 is supposedly great lens, and reportedly Sigma 24-70 is just as good, but much bigger, I think primes are way to go... at least for me...
BR

07-12-2008, 05:23 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I like Lowell's Lens List (LLL). Usefull guild to your LBA. Could this the the next three letter acronim? LLL? Lowell's lens list?
I am honored that you even consider my list as a model for LBA.

Note however, that this is the result of 25 years of shooting, and some very lucky decisions. I bought the sigma 70-200F2.8 when they were readily available, deciding after over 20 years that my Vivitar Series 1 70-210 F3.5 had served me well. and I got my 18-35 with my *istD and found it to be a useful semi wide to normal lens. The other two just fell into place with what I had.
07-12-2008, 06:52 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Tammy club?

What do we have here?