Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-08-2016, 05:05 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-500 wr?

Hello all,

Has anyone heard about the K-500 having some weather sealing? My understanding is it doesn't have all the weather seals like the "WR" bodies, but it has a few points. Can anyone comment on this? Thanks.

02-08-2016, 05:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulpines Quote
Hello all,

Has anyone heard about the K-500 having some weather sealing? My understanding is it doesn't have all the weather seals like the "WR" bodies, but it has a few points. Can anyone comment on this? Thanks.
Because of the parts commonality with the K-50, it does have a few externally-visible gaskets (around the memory card door, for instance). None on the inside, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-08-2016, 05:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yeah I think Adam is right... But for all intents and purposes the k-500 is not weather sealed
02-08-2016, 08:43 PM   #4
KDD
Veteran Member

K-500 don't have WR.

02-10-2016, 01:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So probably not a good idea to take it out in the snow

Thanks for the info
02-10-2016, 01:46 AM - 1 Like   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Paul... I once took a non-WR Fujifilm bridge camera to Uppsala in Sweden, and went on several nature walks in deep snow. The camera got some snow on it... a little hazy rain too... and I just wiped it off with my gloves. I was careful not to use the zoom too much unless I'd dried off the lens barrel first, but otherwise didn't take any special precautions. I even accidentally dropped the camera into the snow on a couple of occasions, and dusted it off. It performed flawlessly - no problems whatsoever. I wouldn't have taken it out in heavy rain, but then I don't do that with my K3, even though it has seals. My point is that if you're reasonably careful, there's no reason why you shouldn't take any camera out in less than ideal weather, including a K-500. Add a plastic carrier bag and a rubber band or two, and you can take those cameras out in all sorts of weather

EDIT: Another idea is to wear a cheap water-proof poncho and have the camera hanging underneath that, bringing it out only when you want to take a shot...
02-10-2016, 08:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I frequently use non-WR stuff in light rain or snow. Just assess the risk you're willing to take and protect accordingly.