Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2016, 08:58 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Bewatek Quote
Concrete is the only thing that Pentax WR gear is not made for

Thats why i use those Peak Design Anchor Links on all my camera bodys:
I've actually had a K200d fly violently out of my car once. A passenger was getting into the backseat and instead of sliding my jacket over she decided to pull it out of the car and along with it went my camera.. Amazing that it had ZERO scratches on it and worked like nothing happened. I kid you not!

02-09-2016, 09:04 AM   #17
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I ALWAYS put the strap around my neck FIRST THING,
Same here!
02-09-2016, 10:28 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron_Man Quote
I've actually had a K200d fly violently out of my car once. A passenger was getting into the backseat and instead of sliding my jacket over she decided to pull it out of the car and along with it went my camera.. Amazing that it had ZERO scratches on it and worked like nothing happened. I kid you not!
Small dog in one hand, K200d in the other - stepping across a rocky creek at the beach.

The dog wanted to jump, pulling me slightly off balance. As I slipped off a rock, falling face first towards sand peppered with more rocks, I reached far out with one hand to settle the camera down as gently as possible before loosing my grip. It suffered only a couple of tiny marks, and I still use it regularly today.

The K200d is one tough body, but If the camera had been strapped around my neck, it probably would have suffered a much worse fate, being pummeled to the surface under my body. So you just never know.

As for the dog, she landed feet first in the sand, wondering what in the heck was my problem!

Last edited by bobore; 02-09-2016 at 10:42 AM.
02-09-2016, 10:37 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always use a strap on all my cameras, even thou it cost me my first K50

02-09-2016, 11:14 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've had the K-5 and K-3 fly off the back seat of the car with the 150-500 attached...
02-09-2016, 02:34 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Crumpler strap is first thing I fit waiting for the battery to charge, it never comes off. Light & comfortable, even with the 150-500 fitted.
02-09-2016, 03:45 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
...into a snowbank! You could almost say it was Norm's fault, he told me to go out and take pictures on dull days and that I could find something interesting (or something like that) I was walking in snow up to my knees! Tripped on a hidden log under the snow and my K-50 went flying through the air into the snow. When I reached it I had to actually dig it out as it was about a foot under. Luckily it just missed a log about 3 inches away from where it landed. Needless to say my K-50 is fully functional thanks to the WR and ruggedness of Pentax cameras and lenses.
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Tripped on a hidden log under the snow and my K-50 went flying through the air into the snow.
I hope you're okay! Sounds like you were cushioned by snow. I fell this past summer on the breakers next to the ocean. Slipped on some wet moss, cradled my camera on the fall, but my leg caught a jagged edge on a rock. I ended up with three stitches. First stitches everrrr. Camera and lens were okay though, no lens misalignments, all of the camera functions as normal. Yay for Pentax ruggedness

02-09-2016, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Ditto, Mark! I ALWAYS put the strap around my neck FIRST THING, even before getting out of the car. Some folks have a very difficult time getting used to them, but they never seem to bother me. I suppose it's like getting used to a CPAP mask. Some just can't bear them.... but within two or three days, it was no problem at all for me. It's so much better than suffering the effects of sleep apnea.

---------- Post added 02-09-16 at 03:44 AM ----------

Let that be a lesson to you, Bert! The camera Gods are giving you a hint!
Yup! When I first got a DSLR, by best friend's dad, who was an avid photographer, told me: Always put the strap around your neck, then at least the worst that can happen is you might bump into something - but you can't drop it! It's stuck with me ever since!

I think it's right up there with:
  1. Never wipe with only one square of toilet paper.
  2. Always look left and right before crossing the road.
  3. Never answer yes if your wife asks: "Does this make me look fat?"
  4. If you vomit on the baby, you won't be asked to change the nappy ever again.
02-09-2016, 08:47 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Never wipe with only one square of toilet paper.
Trying to work out what that had to with cameras until I read the next items on the list
02-10-2016, 09:17 AM   #25
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bertwert, maybe a handstrap would be better, if you don't like neckstraps; this would give you a better hold on the camera, than just the camera alone.
02-10-2016, 12:50 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Bertwert, maybe a handstrap would be better, if you don't like neckstraps; this would give you a better hold on the camera, than just the camera alone.
I've thought of that, except that I'm using a tripod plate with a custom design.
And most hand straps use the tripod socket, so I can't get an ArcaSwiss plate one or anything...
Maybe a DIY job
02-10-2016, 01:22 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can use a sling strap to one or both neckstrap lugs. It's a bit more akward than to the tripod mount, but not bad.