Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2016, 08:57 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Get her a Ricoh GR! After an hour or two, she'll start complaining about the limitations of a "prime", she'll hand it back to you!

Then get her a Panasonic LX7!

02-12-2016, 09:01 AM   #17

I got my wife the original Q in white and she loves it. She always complained about how either the K-7 or K-5 at the time were so big and bulky (even without the grips) but the Q is her little camera for fun.

Only complaints I have: poor battery life and I apparently have one that does not retain date and time.. otherwise, it's a nice little camera she enjoys using.
02-12-2016, 06:00 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Maybe even a sony rx100
+1 for the Sony RX100 - very classy in size and image output f1.8 is possible.
02-12-2016, 06:28 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
And I won an auction for a used LX100 in pristine condition.

Thank you all SO MUCH for the suggestions! My wife is excited and I am, too. I'm a little bummed that she won't have a K-mount body and develop a desire to purchase more lenses (yet). Hopefully she'll get the bug from this and want more. It's much easier to buy things the wife also wants. :-D

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron_Man Quote
I got my wife the original Q...

Only complaints I have: poor battery life and I apparently have one that does not retain date and time.. otherwise, it's a nice little camera she enjoys using.
Interesting. I have a K-r that does that as well. In the middle of shooting it will suddenly reset itself. All system settings are lost. Date/time, time zone, format, quality, focus settings, etc. Gone. I had to learn to frequently glance at the info screen to verify that it still said RAW in the corner. As soon as it changed to JPG I knew it had been reset. Really irritating. And the battery is never low when it happens, and I don't recall the screen ever even turning off. Screwy. But that body is also plagued with the incandescent focus problem, and a battery level problem where it always thinks the battery is dead WAY before it actually is. It doesn't even turn on with fully charged lithium anymore. Only works with fully charged Eneloops, and even after it says "battery depleted" and I charge the batteries they only take about 200 mAH tops.

I sold all my photo gear (Nikon D200 and such) to help fund my divorce and custody dispute from 2009-2011. I got the K-r just to get a dSLR of some sort, and to start back into Pentax (where I started, with a Spotmatic), and it has taken me WAY longer to replace it than I had expected. I'll be getting a K-S2 in the coming weeks (the articulating screen is important to the way I shoot in tight spaces) and hopefully it will be a backup to my full frame body within the year.

Last edited by intjonmiller; 02-12-2016 at 07:00 PM.