Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2016, 01:14 PM   #1
Forum Member

Compact option for my wife

Wasn't sure which section made the most sense for this.

My wife wants a new camera. I, of course, have no objection.

I thought she would want something small so I showed her a number of options online. Then when we talked more she pointed at one of my photos on the wall (my daughter with a blurred background, somewhere in the neighborhood of f/2 on a dSLR) and said, "I want to be able to do that."

So pocket-size cameras are out. But she doesn't want something so big that she won't take it with her regularly. I've looked at specs and sample images from every sort of compact camera I can find, including the Pentax MX-1 and the Canon G-series (I have a G10, was hoping the G-?-X series would be a workable option), but I can't find anything short of M4/3 that can get appropriately shallow depth-of-field.

I'm thinking the K-01 might be the best choice for her. I've always wanted the pancake lenses anyway, and this way she'll support the purchase of them. :-D

I know a lot of people hated that camera, but I thought it was a great concept and I've always liked it, but didn't feel the need for that form to actually buy one. What do you think? There's nothing wrong with that sensor (!), the live view focusing might be slower than newer models but it's faster than we're accustomed to, and based on the comparisons I showed her at camerasize.com she's fine with the size to go in her purse for daily stuff and taking a bag for photo-specific outings.

Please let me know if there's some camera I've failed to consider that will accomplish what she wants, as well as your thoughts about the K-01.

Thanks!

02-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #2

Lumix LX100
m4/3
f1.7-2.8
02-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by intjonmiller Quote
Wasn't sure which section made the most sense for this.

My wife wants a new camera. I, of course, have no objection.

I thought she would want something small so I showed her a number of options online. Then when we talked more she pointed at one of my photos on the wall (my daughter with a blurred background, somewhere in the neighborhood of f/2 on a dSLR) and said, "I want to be able to do that."

So pocket-size cameras are out. But she doesn't want something so big that she won't take it with her regularly. I've looked at specs and sample images from every sort of compact camera I can find, including the Pentax MX-1 and the Canon G-series (I have a G10, was hoping the G-?-X series would be a workable option), but I can't find anything short of M4/3 that can get appropriately shallow depth-of-field.

I'm thinking the K-01 might be the best choice for her. I've always wanted the pancake lenses anyway, and this way she'll support the purchase of them. :-D

I know a lot of people hated that camera, but I thought it was a great concept and I've always liked it, but didn't feel the need for that form to actually buy one. What do you think? There's nothing wrong with that sensor (!), the live view focusing might be slower than newer models but it's faster than we're accustomed to, and based on the comparisons I showed her at camerasize.com she's fine with the size to go in her purse for daily stuff and taking a bag for photo-specific outings.

Please let me know if there's some camera I've failed to consider that will accomplish what she wants, as well as your thoughts about the K-01.

Thanks!
There are a lot of small mirrorless cameras that fit the bill. Maybe even a sony rx100 or panasonic lx100
02-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought a K-01 for my wife and she loves its. Initially she used the DA40mm xs. But she wanted a zoom. I paired the DA18-135mm with the K-01 and the result is exactly what she wants. She has been shooting with the K-01 + DA18-135mm for 3 years now, and the shots at great. When I compare the shots with my K-3, the K-01 is still up 'in the game'.

An advantage IMHO is when we travel together. I have a K-3. We can share batteries, battery charger and lenses. I typically travel with one spare, one battery charger and a couple of lenses. I can swap them with my wife, and everybody is happy.

So you are very right that the K-01 might be an excellent choice,

02-11-2016, 02:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Why not a K-S1 ? There is nothing wrong with the K-01 if you can handle a relatively slow contrast af.
02-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I bought an Olympus OMD-EM5 for my wife. Her requirements were very much the same and she loves it. Probably the best purchase for her I've ever made barring the engagement ring
02-11-2016, 03:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Since you have a Canon G10 and since you said that would be a great option, I would suggest che Canon g7x (especially if you shoot video).
Also into the compact cameras section, I give a really positive feedback to the Ricoh GR (not the GR digital, which is the old model).
For something more advance, I don't talk, since my current Pentax camera is a Pentax ME Super (which is really portable, ideed)
Good luck!

Last edited by gabro822; 02-11-2016 at 03:17 PM.
02-11-2016, 03:17 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
Why not a K-S1 ? There is nothing wrong with the K-01 if you can handle a relatively slow contrast af.
+1 for the K-S1, or if you want to step it up a bit, even the K-S2 is pretty compact. You can get great deals on the DA40XS too - nice little pancake, reasonably fast (and decent wide open), good all-purpose lens...

02-11-2016, 03:29 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The RX100 would be a great choice if you want something compact with good bokeh. The lumix LX1000 (already mentioned) is another great choice.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-11-2016, 03:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by veato Quote
Lumix LX100m4/3f1.7-2.8

+1 on above for great combo of IQ, DoF, zooming, and portability. And, has eye-level view finder. If you want to compromise on any of the four traits, there are many choices.
02-11-2016, 04:20 PM   #11
Site Supporter

We have matching NX300s from Samsung; they have the advantage of tiny lenses to go with the small body. Fast zooms are huge and expensive but we'll do just fine with the 16-50PZ and some adapted K primes and their 16/2.4 and 30/2 are excellent little lenses.
02-11-2016, 05:12 PM   #12
Site Supporter

+ 1 for the Lumix LX100
02-12-2016, 08:47 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
I posted this from work yesterday during lunch, only to discover that the firewall blocks all other vbulletin functions, such as replying. Weird that I could post it, though.

Anyway, I forgot to mention that I'm not interested in getting into another lens system at this time. I know there are great options, just not ones I have a budget for. If we're buying lenses then they will work on my cameras as well, so K-mount it is.

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback!
02-12-2016, 08:50 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Another vote for the K-S1
02-12-2016, 08:55 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
I was not familiar with the LX100. I have loved the Panasonics I've had in the past (compact options, 2009-2011-ish), but I have largely avoided following camera releases for a while because I haven't had a budget for anything for quite a while.

That camera is BEAUTIFUL! But it's also quite a bit more than I had expected to spend. But it's tiny for an m4/3 sensor and f/1.7-2.8 lens.

Hmmm....