Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2016, 09:27 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Options for Pentax Repair

Note: The intent of this post is to provide a resource for people seeking repair options. (Sticky perhaps?) Please do not start discussions as to how bad the official Pentax warranty service is or the lack of pro services or whether Pentax is doomed. There are other threads where your rant is a valued contribution. This is probably not one of them.

Mods: Please relocate if appropriate!

There has been a lot of recent discussion regarding where to send Pentax products for repair in the United States. The matter of warranty repair is pretty straightforward. The word from Ricoh/Pentax is that Precision Camera and Video Repair in Enfield Connecticut has an exclusive contract for Pentax warranty repair. Also clear is that Ricoh/Pentax will not sell parts to other than authorized repair facilities. There were many such authorized facilities in the past and the Pentax Web site used to list them by state. That list is no longer published, but word is that the shops are still there and are still able to get parts.

That brings us around to the purpose of this post and thread. I propose that once an authorized (preferably) repair shop is identified, a comment should be posted to this thread identifying the shop and providing appropriate information. This initial post may serve as a template of sorts. The shop need not be in the United States with the main criteria being the ability to perform the repairs and access to parts.

To start things off, I offer up a shop local to me...

Name: Advanced Camera, Inc.

Web Site: Advance Camera Repair

Pentax Authorized: Yes, for many years, access to parts verified by telephone 11 Feb 2016

Pentax Warranty Repair: Yes, see notes below

Pass through for some repairs? Yes, to Precision Camera, Enfield CT for work requiring specialized test/calibration tools. Some vintage stuff is referred to other shops if they have needed expertise.

Scope of Service:
Digital cameras X
Lenses X (All series)
Flash ???
Vintage X
By mail X
Walk-in X
Turn-around time: ??? (no recent personal experience)

Policy for irreparable item: ???

Notes:
Advanced Camera is well-known and well-respected in the Portland area. One nice thing is that if you have a question, you can talk directly with the tech. In regards to Pentax warranty repairs, they claim official status on their Web site and I confirmed this by telephone today. They assured me that they were still able to bill through for warranty work. I personally would confirm this before sending them anything for warranty repair.

As noted above, it would be good if people could contribute other repair places (preferably authorized) they know of. We frequently get requests for Britain, Eastern Europe, South Asia, South America, and countries of the former Soviet Union, though I am sure that similar uncertainty exists in other parts of the globe.

Steve

02-11-2016, 09:46 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I've actually been thinking of starting a dedicated forum for repair-related posts. It would be nice to have a resource where members can:

• Obtain a list of reputable service providers
  • Obtain information about warranty repairs
  • Share opinions & repair shop reviews
Thoughts?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-11-2016, 09:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I've actually been thinking of starting a dedicated forum for repair-related posts. It would be nice to have a resource where members can:

Thoughts?
Good idea. I am a little low on thoughts right now, but will continue the discussion via PM.

Steve
02-11-2016, 09:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Thoughts?
Actually a good idea, considering how many posts there are on repair issues. Particularly important since information from Ricoh seems hard to come by. The only thing I can find on the USA website is a link to Precision.

Would be a wonderful resource if RIcoh supplied a rep to monitor and answer questions. But that seems implausible
Might be difficult to keep it from devolving into a complaint section though

---------- Post added 02-11-16 at 08:57 PM ----------

And Steve, thanks for starting this thread! Great idea.

02-11-2016, 10:01 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

We could have a few informational stickies with info, plus threads for reviews / experiences in which we would only allow posts from actual customers. Other threads could be started for threads / rants.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-11-2016, 10:25 PM   #6
mee
Site Supporter

Thoughts?
It would be very welcomed here. But I think we should be careful in listing repair facilities without any confirmed results. That is to say, listing a facility as Pentax Authorized without confirmation by Ricoh Imaging (or even end users who have actually used these companies) could set some people up for a sad day should the facility they chose (that was listed on PF) ends up not being authorized by Pentax.

So I would be careful in how this is implemented in order to protect both the provider and the user of this information. Perhaps you could use your connections in Ricoh Imaging to get this started, Adam?
02-11-2016, 11:09 PM   #7

Here is the reply I got from Advance Camera in Portland when I wanted to get my 50-135 DA* zoom repaired (SDM problem) in April 2015. Apparently their situation has changed....

Advance Camera Repair <repair@advancecamera.com>
4/10/15

to me
Hi Bob,

No, I cannot fix this here. I would have to send it to Pentax for repair. We are having some trouble with their lenses and the motors too.

-Brooke Chamberlain
02-12-2016, 12:27 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Note: The intent of this post is to provide a resource for people seeking repair options. (Sticky perhaps?) Please do not start discussions as to how bad the official Pentax warranty service is or the lack of pro services or whether Pentax is doomed. There are other threads where your rant is a valued contribution. This is probably not one of them.

Mods: Please relocate if appropriate!

There has been a lot of recent discussion regarding where to send Pentax products for repair in the United States. The matter of warranty repair is pretty straightforward. The word from Ricoh/Pentax is that Precision Camera and Video Repair in Enfield Connecticut has an exclusive contract for Pentax warranty repair. Also clear is that Ricoh/Pentax will not sell parts to other than authorized repair facilities. There were many such authorized facilities in the past and the Pentax Web site used to list them by state. That list is no longer published, but word is that the shops are still there and are still able to get parts.

That brings us around to the purpose of this post and thread. I propose that once an authorized (preferably) repair shop is identified, a comment should be posted to this thread identifying the shop and providing appropriate information. This initial post may serve as a template of sorts. The shop need not be in the United States with the main criteria being the ability to perform the repairs and access to parts.

To start things off, I offer up a shop local to me...

Name: Advanced Camera, Inc.

Web Site: Advance Camera Repair

Pentax Authorized: Yes, for many years, access to parts verified by telephone 11 Feb 2016

Pentax Warranty Repair: Yes, see notes below

Pass through for some repairs? Yes, to Precision Camera, Enfield CT for work requiring specialized test/calibration tools. Some vintage stuff is referred to other shops if they have needed expertise.

Scope of Service:
Digital cameras X
Lenses X (All series)
Flash ???
Vintage X
By mail X
Walk-in X
Turn-around time: ??? (no recent personal experience)

Policy for irreparable item: ???

Notes:
Advanced Camera is well-known and well-respected in the Portland area. One nice thing is that if you have a question, you can talk directly with the tech. In regards to Pentax warranty repairs, they claim official status on their Web site and I confirmed this by telephone today. They assured me that they were still able to bill through for warranty work. I personally would confirm this before sending them anything for warranty repair.

As noted above, it would be good if people could contribute other repair places (preferably authorized) they know of. We frequently get requests for Britain, Eastern Europe, South Asia, South America, and countries of the former Soviet Union, though I am sure that similar uncertainty exists in other parts of the globe.

Steve
Thanks so much for an excellent and purposeful way to assist us in need of affecting repairs. I am looking forward to getting onboard here often and check out what is happening out there. In case you were not aware, CameraWorks has pulled the plug and folded up last summer. They were about one mile west of Advance Camera. Well, once again, many thanks. Tony

02-12-2016, 05:52 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like the idea of a separate forum provided it doesn't descend into a morass of rants and grumbling. Accurate information is not easy to come by so it would be welcome to have a place to go.
02-12-2016, 07:49 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I can verify Advanced Camera does great work and is very honest about what they can and cannot do. I've had my K-3 & K-3II in for cleanings and they got a KX & 2 MXs' of mine back into top working condition - all top quality work. The KX and a MX needed parts which they got & installed for very fair price. One of the tech's, Paul, used to work at the Pentax Center in Chicago as a supervisor along with Eric Hendickson, having talked to him, you can tell he really has a lot of knowledge about the older SLR's.

Though they don't seem to stock new Pentax, there's usually a decent selection of used cameras & lenses.
02-12-2016, 05:57 PM   #11
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
Here is the reply I got from Advance Camera in Portland when I wanted to get my 50-135 DA* zoom repaired (SDM problem) in April 2015. Apparently their situation has changed....
4/10/15

to me
Hi Bob,

No, I cannot fix this here. I would have to send it to Pentax for repair. We are having some trouble with their lenses and the motors too.

-Brooke Chamberlain
Thanks for that. They seem to be hit or miss it appears.
02-12-2016, 06:37 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote

4/10/15

to me
Hi Bob,

-Brooke Chamberlain
I would check into this again. Eric Hendrickson in his 20 questions interview said for a period he was unable to get parts from Ricoh but the situation changed - specifically he mentioned SDM motors.
02-12-2016, 06:50 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Thanks for that. They seem to be hit or miss it appears.
Unfortunately those situations do occur. They were honest with you.

Thanks,

Tony