Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2016, 10:53 AM   #1

Pentax KS2 + 18-135 (no auto mode/ no scene mode?)

Hi All,

Got one of these come today and just noticed that I can't get auto mode or scene mode working.

Just goes into bulb mode or manual mode on each of them.

I've reset settings and no change. Any ideas why this is?

Also seem to get blurry images a bit, anything I'm doing wrong? (probably!)

THanks.

02-12-2016, 11:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like the lens isn't attached correctly
02-12-2016, 11:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the camera take photos in P mode or Av mode? Does the camera show you an F-number or is that box on the LCD screen just F---?
A reset to factory settings should remove any setting that might be blocking Auto mode.
QuoteOriginally posted by hr21 Quote
Just goes into bulb mode or manual mode on each of them.
Bulb or manual? Usually if the lens is not communicating with the camera, its modes default to M and Av mode, not Bulb (though, Bulb might be available)
Anyway, yeah, press the lens dis/mount button, take the lens off, inspect the mounts to see that it is free of damage or grime or dust. Check both lens and camera mount. Next, mount the lens and make sure it clicks into place. New lenses sometimes need a little more force, but there should be a Click sound.
02-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #4

Original Poster
Checked lens, it seems fine? Took it off and put back on, made sure it was all lined up fine and it clicked into place.

Reset factory settings (reset under menu?)

Still doing the same thing.

Any other ideas?

---------- Post added 02-12-16 at 01:28 PM ----------

More specific info:

Auto = Bulb
Scene = Manual
A-HDR = TAv
User 1 and User 2 both say P User 2
Bulb = bulb
Manual = manual
TAv = Shutter and Aperture priority
Av = Aperture priority
Tv = Shutter Priority
Sv = Sensitivity priority
P = sensitivity priority

02-12-2016, 02:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
Trying to figure out if I need to return this as faulty - any help appreciated
02-12-2016, 03:00 PM   #6

Does it actually take photos in those modes (Auto, Scene), or any other modes for that matter?
02-12-2016, 04:53 PM   #7

Original Poster
takes photos in all modes fine and video mode works fine.

02-12-2016, 06:32 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hr21 Quote
Checked lens, it seems fine? Took it off and put back on, made sure it was all lined up fine and it clicked into place.

Reset factory settings (reset under menu?)

Still doing the same thing.

Any other ideas?

---------- Post added 02-12-16 at 01:28 PM ----------

More specific info:

Auto = Bulb
Scene = Manual
A-HDR = TAv
User 1 and User 2 both say P User 2
Bulb = bulb
Manual = manual
TAv = Shutter and Aperture priority
Av = Aperture priority
Tv = Shutter Priority
Sv = Sensitivity priority
P = sensitivity priority
Does it do this with other lenses attached (or even no lens attached)? If so, definitely a defective main dial... sorry.
02-13-2016, 01:29 AM   #9

Original Poster
OK - thanks,
Yes does it without a lens on. [only have one lens]

Should I return it then?
02-13-2016, 04:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yeah, it seems a bit odd. I think you should have it exchanged for a copy that works as it should.
Probably its just something with the mode dial, but if you bought the camera, you deserve a working camera.
One tip I like to add in cases like this is that stores sometimes want to send your camera for repairs, but I suggest you insist they replace it immediately. Problem with sending it in for repairs is that it takes long time and you only get a "repaired" camera back (and the shipping has its own risks). Usually the difference between the store's obligation to replace it (instead of repairing it) is that you must say the camera came with the fault. If the fault only developed later, they will only repair it. Of course, it often depends on the shop clerk as well. Anyway, read up on local warranty laws, and have the camera exchanged.

That is a good camera and a good lens! Once you get copies that work normally, you will be able to grow your skills and take wonderful photos. Good luck