Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2016, 08:41 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote

My light walk around kit with the K-3 (or the K-01 when wanting to go lighter) is the smc 21mm, and the miniscule 40mm xs in a shirt pocket (or pants).
Pretty good setup!

02-17-2016, 09:37 AM   #17

Original Poster
Well, after a lot of consideration and reading, I'm set to change my k5ii for a x100s. I'll sell my k5ii body tomorrow and I'm picking up a used (in excellent condition) x100s. I'm still not fully convinced but I think I'm doing the right thing. The idea of k5ii+da*21 excites me but that's way out of my budget. I also thought about the da*40 (I love that sleeker body), but the range would probably be too long for a everyday use.

Basically I'm looking for the best/simplest possible camera kit for all my daily and travel uses, and I hope this x100s for 700aud (500usd) succeeds in doing that. I really love the kit I currently have but the size and weight break it for me, and so ill be sacrificing k5s weather sealing, long battery life, lens interchangeability and controls... The deal is basically selling the k5ii body for 470aud (around 350usd) and I hope I'll get more 370aud (300usd) from the da*35 macro, which is listed on eBay (I'll ship worldwide, so let me know if you are interested).

And if by some reason, the Fuji/mirrorless system disappoints me, I'm pretty sure I'll get back to a k5, with some primes in a near future.

But ye, last call guys! I have around 10 hours and can still keep what I have I ditch the Fuji! Do you think I'm doing the right think? Or is this really wrong? Aaarrghh..
02-17-2016, 10:24 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zide Quote
Or is this really wrong? Aaarrghh..
I've got no answer for you......Everyone is different with different needs/desires.

I asked Otis what he thought.....Please don't blame me, I am only the messenger.

Apparently Otis is not in favor of your decision?

Regards!
02-17-2016, 10:30 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zide Quote
Well, after a lot of consideration and reading, I'm set to change my k5ii for a x100s. I'll sell my k5ii body tomorrow and I'm picking up a used (in excellent condition) x100s. I'm still not fully convinced but I think I'm doing the right thing. The idea of k5ii+da*21 excites me but that's way out of my budget. I also thought about the da*40 (I love that sleeker body), but the range would probably be too long for a everyday use.

Basically I'm looking for the best/simplest possible camera kit for all my daily and travel uses, and I hope this x100s for 700aud (500usd) succeeds in doing that. I really love the kit I currently have but the size and weight break it for me, and so ill be sacrificing k5s weather sealing, long battery life, lens interchangeability and controls... The deal is basically selling the k5ii body for 470aud (around 350usd) and I hope I'll get more 370aud (300usd) from the da*35 macro, which is listed on eBay (I'll ship worldwide, so let me know if you are interested).

And if by some reason, the Fuji/mirrorless system disappoints me, I'm pretty sure I'll get back to a k5, with some primes in a near future.

But ye, last call guys! I have around 10 hours and can still keep what I have I ditch the Fuji! Do you think I'm doing the right think? Or is this really wrong? Aaarrghh..
In real terms you are not speaking about a lot of money so feel free to try out the X100S. For the trip I borrowed a X100 I had my K-r with me and I bought a compact camera case for the Fuji that snapped onto my belt. The X100 was a tight fit but it meant that I could have the camera with me at all times. When I gave teh Fuji back I used that same case to hold two of my DA lenses, any two of the DA15, DA35 2.4, DA70 and now the DA 18-50 RE. Those are all small compact lenses but I can carry any three with me with one on the camera and two in the case. So in essence you are carrying what I am minus the camera with the lens on it as far as size goes and that is a big difference. The Fujis are great cameras and if you ever wish to go back to an interchangeable lens system you have many to choice from and will more than likely keep using the X100S at that time. Good luck and I sure hope that the Fuji satisfies your needs, that is much more important than the brand of camera you use.

02-17-2016, 12:12 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Here a few X100 shots back in 2011 when I had one. That macro feature it has kind of makes for two lenses in one. This first shot is utilizing that feature and the second is literally shooting from the hip. An articulating screen would be sweet for that. I also shoot a fixed lens Fuji GSW690III and really like that.

Last edited by tuco; 02-17-2016 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Link
02-17-2016, 05:36 PM   #21

Original Poster
The Kr is a nice little body, I'll try it with some DA pancakes in the future for sure.

Cheers guys. Ye, it's not a lot of money and for the price I'm buying it I might even be able to profit a bit with it if I decided sell it when I get back to Portugal.

I'm off to get it now! Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I think I'll start using this forum more often!
02-17-2016, 06:00 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have K3, X100 and GR. For handy, really handy and discrete and great IQ, the GR rules. It is always in my bag, or on my belt on weekdays going to work. It may be when I have specific intent, but then the stable comes into play so I choose. It is just so easy to have and use, but does not replace the other options for me.